Updated System Requirements - Support for EVE Mac OS 10.14 and Below Ending 8 Feb 2024

From 8 February 2024 we will be dropping support for OS 10.14 and below. From that date Mac users will need to run 10.15 or later to access EVE Online.

Discontinuing support for older OS such as 10.14 and Windows 7 and 8 means that we have more freedom to integrate the latest technology and solutions as we continue to develop EVE and its supporting foundations.

OS 10.14 users should also be aware that Steam will be discontinuing support of OS 10.13 and 10.14 a week later on 15 February.

If you are unsure which OS you are using you can reference this guide from Apple.

2 Likes

Upgrading to macOS Big Sur (11.7.x) may be an option for some players running older systems (I’m still running EVE on my 2014 iMac Retina 5k).

Thanks for continuing to support macOS!

The eve launcher is a standalone product, it is hard to see the relevance. Eve only stops working when CCP decide it stops working, not when Cupertino or Valve does.

Thousands of otherwise good PC’s are going to get thrown out. The latest technology to some, to others it is planned obsolescence.

The eve client uses about 3GBytes of RAM on my M1 MacBook Air. The launcher uses about 425 Mbytes of RAM. On my 2017 MacBook Pro its 2.2Gbyte and 470MByte. I have seen the launcher grow from a ( optional ) modest front end to an irritating resource sink. The only good thing I can say is that on a full battery eve will run on my M1 for a good number of hours before I have to plug back in, where as my windows gaming laptop will die horribly in under 45 minutes.

Native Linux (even an ARM build ) Port When?

Before the last dev that was working on a linux machine quit, he admitted ccp wasnt going to do anything with linux like mac.

Steam eve launcher is not the same as the straight eve launcher. Thats why its recommended if you play through steam, to convert it to an actual eve account

Huge +1 to Arthur Aihaken’s comment. Thank you for continued support of Mac OS. Runs really great at full gfx settings and was genuinely surprised when I loaded it up on my M2 Max. Super glad I don’t need a dedicated gaming machine anymore :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Thanks to OCLP, I run Sonoma (14.2.1) on my 2014 MacBook Pro 15" (based on an i7 intel chip), and Eve is working fine for me, along with all other software I use.

The launcher works fine too, but for some unknown reason it frequently crashes at random points in time. The only downside for me is that I have to periodically restart the launcher so I can see how many people are logged in. I never have issues logging into the Eve Client itself.

In order to install Sonoma, I used OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP), which is available from github:
https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher.
Make sure you read the instructions on how to install/use it before you jump into doing the upgrade. You may also want to watch some tutorial videos.
It is important that each time you either upgrade the OS or OCLP, you run the “Post-Install Root Patch” function, which updates system files to make this all work.
OCLP will allow you to run, up-to, Sonoma (previously I was running Ventura) on any machine that has a METAL compatible graphics card. Check the details on the OCLP github page for more precise information.

From Apple, there are plans to stop supporting the x86 (AMD64) architecture, i.e. machines running INTEL chips, at some point in the future. But thanks to OCLP, your old MAC will not necessarily become useless for a while yet.

As mentioned above, it is no longer supported to run EVE Online on OS 10.14 or below. OS version 10.15 or later is needed to access EVE Online.

1 Like

Yes, I noticed, but the launcher update also broke OSX versions that ARE supported, so the net result between supported/unsupported === no EVE for players.

In order to get past this

abomination, ran ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Eve\ Online/EVE\ Online.app/Contents/MacOS/eve-online in a console which caused this very alarming security prompt

“You are however not allowed to play EVE by using more than one Account at the same time”. Seriously?

Pushing X to close the window just causes it to open again.

Force quit the EVE Launcher with its infinite repeating window.

Relaunched from Steam.

“New” Launcher is now showing the characters on the main screen.

Filling a bug report now.

EBR-14082

I am trying to like you, I really am but you are not doing yourselves any favours.

unless you pay a subscription fee for each of the Accounts you intend to use for that purpose.

You left that part out

Got to admit I TL;DR that one. Scrolling down was less important than getting the launcher/client unscrewed.