Using Bumping outside of preventing warping

So you’re saying that CCP should code in all sorts of edge cases where if a ship’s max speed is beyond a certain value it will engage in combat while another ship won’t?

EVE players are really good at finding those edge cases. They will find a way to bump you while staying below that value and will also find a way to make you move above that value and engage in PvP.

FYI ships can instantly warp when exiting a station if the warp destination is in line with the station exit, which means they’re going at least 75% of their max speed. Ships could be moving over 300m/s or higher while exiting a station.

1 Like

this is false. you exit the station and are registered as being in the system befoire you are allowed to warp so that is a non argument.

??

https://wiki.bravecollective.com/public/dojo/wiki/instadock-instaundock#instaundocks

According to this wiki you even move at 100% of your max velocity while exiting the station.

Quick idea: two bumpers (or same ship bumping twice), both times below threshold, but in total putting the “target” above threshold. Then pew pew begins. Alternatively if needed can bump several times until reaching threshold while bumper never actually reaching nor exceeding it. :smirk:

Yes. Every time you undock, you get a 30 second invulnerability timer. During that time you also have no collision model.

this is also according to that same Wiki. meaning there is a 30 sec window where you can not collide with anything

Correct. Do you know when that invulnerability timer ends? When you give any command.

You align to a gate? Lost invulnerability and you get collision.
You give the warp command? You get collision.

again there is a simple code that can differentiate between a primary and a subsequent collision.

And what would happen to the primary and to the subsequent collision ship?

So if they use several ships it is the primary collision only for all of them.

this first means that you have already seen what is there and if you are hitting something at that speed, which still should not be at bumping speed that is being used to bump players intentionally.

primary collision and subsequent collisions neither should trigger PvP to be honest as it would require a lot of great timing to try to multiple bump a ship to get it moving. If you have to hit it again to get it going the the bumping ship had to have been going faster than the bumped ship anyway. PvP time

Right, so you are counting collisions of ship A versus ship B and if it’s the first or second collision nothing happens but if it’s the third collision you start a PvP timer?

What if someone repeatedly parks their ship in front of your moving ship?

Suddenly PvP?

i mean if you have 2 or more ships lined up already in the trajectory of where you are going to bump so you can get a relay bump then that Player pretty much deserves a good bump. Otherwise a second ship would have to be moving greater than the speed of the bumped ship to continue the momentum and would thus trigger PvP

no you are saying A hits B and then B hits C causing B to go into PvP when A was the Instigator. A simple code can differentiate that and see that A hit B first with a time limit and thus immune B for a Sec or 2

If someone is repeatedly parking their ship in front of you, then they have to be moving pretty fast. so getting to a really slow speed right in front of you continuously would be difficult if you are actually going at enough speed to trigger a PvP

i can also see a point to this where a bumper would try to use this to accelerate as fast as poissible durring the immune period to hit ship C causing the bigger bump. but that again would require a really really great set up that a player should either be able to avoid or counter i suppose

Okay, so I thought you were counting the number of collisions of ship A against B, but it turns out you mean primary and subsequent collisions in number of ships involved, rather than number of bumps.

So if I understand correctly if A hits B and B hits C then A as primary collision gets into a fight and B and C don’t?

What exactly happens when A ‘gets into a fight’?

1. Is it an illegal move (in HS) and do they get CONCORDED?
  2. Is it a suspect move and do they get a suspect status, engageable for anyone who wants?
  3. Or are they in a limited engagement timer with the bumped player?
  4. Or is it something else? (please clarify)

so the instance that I am basing my experience in currently is 5-6 dedicated bumpers 2 Orcas and their miners. The bumpers just bump anyone not in their group. In my suggestion it would mean that those 5-6 bumpers would trigger PvP on themselves and then be targets that others could engage to try to defend their mining rather than just being thrown around and forced to warp out and back in continuously to try to get scraps.

it wouldnt be like an automatic Concord coming in to destroy them. Rather it would cause a NON Concord. Where anyone thaat chose to engage and the Bumpers would not have to worry about being destroyed instantly by concord. They can choose to PvP fight it out, or choose to not and let themselves get bumped around

That was my interpretation too. :thinking:

First of all “PvP on themselves” made me giggle. :blush:

Second this means they become suspect then?

Third, who will shoot them anyway? You with your mining ships? I doubt so. Do you hope someone will shoot them then?

Are you asking this change in hopes someone else will PvP them for you or something? :thinking:

Concord not defending one side or the other. Although I rather do like the Idea that was presented earlier about having Faction Space Mining Permits

Okay, so we have clarified that these bumpers become suspect when they bump.

A couple of questions:

1. A bunch of miners is in a mining belt in HS because this means they are safe from any PvP that may happen to them. Bumpers bump them away and become suspect. Do the miners now fight back? (Those bumpers want to engage the miners, otherwise they wouldn’t be bumping them as only alternative.)
  2. Your Orca undocks from the station to warp to the mining belt. After aligning to the belt you bump into one of the barges in front of you and become suspect. People kill your Orca and CONCORD doesn’t stop them. How do you feel?