Version 20.10 - General Feedback

O I didn’t realize it was because of the emblems :confused: that sux

@CCP_Paragon Eris also has incorrect bone index for the radar thing, and all the decals have the wrong mesh indices.

• Set: PlaneSet “Spotlights”
  • Item: PlaneSetItem [0]
  • Current Bone Index: 1
  • Expected Bone Index: 0
  • Issue: Not attached to correct geometry bone and results in incorrect animation

• Set: decals
  • Item: SpaceObjectDecal [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]
  • Current: decal mesh indices are wrong
  • Expected: decal mesh indices are correct
  • Issue: Decals not visible

Below is an example showing the current and expected mesh indices for killmarks:

4 Likes

The interface font is garbage in general. Anything with r followed by n looks like an m due to abysmal kerning.

5 Likes

The flickering is related to light (particularly from the sun in space) but it’s not actually very consistent. Sometimes the Amarr station interior is a flickering nightmare, and an undock-dock will sometimes fix it. Sometimes my ship flickers to ■■■■ in space undocking from that station, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s like something doesn’t initialise properly sometimes on a scene change.

The light sources are consistent in both scenarios. When the flickering does happen, it’s related to the scene’s major light source exactly as you describe.

1 Like

If we compare the

new list (hidden, click to unfold)

to the old list of ship skins:

We can see a few things:

1. The old list was much more compact, easier to scroll through to see what’s available.

2. The old list made it much easier to see which colours dominated the skin, thanks to the stylized clear and very visible skin icons. The new skin icons contain these same old skin icons, except it’s now a tiny part of a much bigger cicle for some reason?

Old:
afbeelding

New:
afbeelding

Why the extra circle?

1. Matter of taste I guess, but I found it easier to read the old names too.
    I don’t know why that is the case for me, but it’s probably because the old names were more structured as lines on separate rows, instead of floating seemingly unstructured in empty space due to the increased distance between the names in the new UI.
10 Likes

Yeah the new list is a huge degradation in usability. I don’t understand why they changed it so radically.

3 Likes

FTFY :wink:

4 Likes

The “Docking” notification is still large and annoying. Please try a more minimalistic approach, like the rest of Photon - where you can hardly see scroll bars, for example.

Which is a separate problem all to its own. Those need to be more prominent.

UI design conventions become conventions, because large numbers of users are familiar with them, and instantly know what that UI control is for. Removing expected parts of what makes a scroll bar instantly recognizable to score style points, is causing mis-clicks and frustration. (A scroll bar should have arrows at the top and bottom to hint that the “handle” in the middle is in fact, a handle that can be moved in the direction of the arrows. The space between arrows, and the size of the handle, hints that more information can be viewed by scrolling between two easily visible boundary markers.)

2 Likes

do you have any idea what usability is?

1 Like

I do. I’m not sure you do.

Let me educate you a little, though, as I’m nice like that.

Usability in UI/UX is the ability for a user to complete a task intuitively based on familiarity of conventions employed or clarity of prompts in the interface. In this case, usability is qualitatively degraded by the introduction of complexity (in this case a very long list of options) that is compounded by the fact that the majority of options in the list require explicit knowledge to understand, never mind utilise (you know, as opposed to implicit knowledge, or tacit knowledge).

So in any usability test, this change is a significant regression, as although it increases utility for an experienced player, it poses an access challenge to a user that doesn’t have that experience. This leads to avoidance behaviours (much like choice paralysis) that hinder or prevent completion of the intended user journey.

So, y’know, pretty basic stuff for software design.

4 Likes

Ah the most basic of mistakes in UI/UX designing for a mythical “new user” who wants everything dumbed down to the core.

Good UI/UX is designed for a user not for a novice because the users (hopefully) stick around unlike novice who either leave or learn and become users. Dumbing down UI and lowering it’s utility is simply a sign of incompetence.

4 Likes

Nonsense.

New user accessible design is not the same as ‘dumbed down’ - that’s a basic mistake.
Good UI/UX design is beneficial to new users and experienced users, because they both benefit from the same good patterns and best practice. You don’t have to lower utility to reduce complexity - that’s just a fallacy.

4 Likes

Those “wizz-bang” flashy/ audio changes look nice and fun if you see them 2 times per day, not 30 times per hour (multiple accounts+ some of us like to have sound on to hear gate jump sounds/ warp etc.)

Reminds me of the “DING” target destruction confirmation sound followed by 3 seconds of icon flashing.
Cool if someone logs in once per week for an hour or two. Absolutely infuriating/ seizure inducing if you pve for 5 hours or are in a fleet fight.

It’s almost as if ui designers don’t play the game, or do it for 15 minutes once per week :confused:

4 Likes

For certain things complexity is necessary in order to provide all the information that is needed by the user. That will always be daunting to the new user but they are transient and there is no point in designing the UI/UX based on new users if it goes over usability for experienced users. That is what CCP is doing. They are hiding elements and functions for no good reason other than fallacy that new players are less confused. They will be even more confused because functions they will need are now hidden.

2 Likes

This my first post here since the expansion has dropped, and like most here have already said the performance is terrible. Clicking on each ship bays and trying to moving contents between hangers is taking 5-8 secs now instead of being instant, the docking/undocking sequences are unnecessary long and annoying.

Any idea when these performance issues will be addressed?

Running Win 10, 3900x, 32g ram and RTX 3080ti

1 Like

Not sure if it’s Athanor specific, but the inside station audio change has introduced what I can only describe as “Someone banging on the other side of a metal bulk head.” That fades in and out repeatedly.

The rest of the ambient audio is fine, but this one, especially with an audio setup that has a subwoofer, can become quite bothersome.

Before the change, the locked target icon used to simply disappear, and if you were shooting that target, it made sense why the target icon disappeared. (if more than one player is shooting the same target in a fleet fight, and it disappears, what happened may not be so clear. Did it warp away?)

I also find the excessive blinking incredibly annoying. It pushed me toward drones, which continue shooting a target if it’s unlocked. When target destroyed blink was first introduced, it was even longer, but shortened to what we have today ‘due to player feedback.’ Not short enough: ONE blink would be enough UI feedback. something more conventional: overlay a “Splat” icon, then remove the locked target (no blink.)

1 Like

That came out of nowhere. If only the State was so keen about systems when it comes to take back MV systems from Trig Twats.

4 Likes

The trigs also have doomsday weapons

For the love of all that is holy please reduce the height of SKIN buttons, as many others already asked here. The old list already had too much scrolling, if anything we needed that compacted, not expanded.

The current one is barely usable

2 Likes