War Mechanics Joining & Leaving Corps

Simply put, I think new corp members should have to go through the same 24 hour wait time as a corp when it initiates a wardec. New members shouldn’t be eligible. I think it’s a bad game mechanic decision to not have it this way.

1. pilot is at war
  2. undocks an orca
  3. has poor overview or somehow misses that new wartargets are in system

Friend complains, why would CCP do that?

Everything that happened here has occurred for years and it is well within the intended design. There was a bug a few years ago where people could join a Corp and the targets in the same system didn’t see their status change. CCP fixed it, so you can only join a Corp while docked, or in a pod, so that a session change is guaranteed, and the targets can see that new war targets are in system.

Ultimately, the orca pilot is 100% responsible for this loss and I bet, if he was mining in an orca, he probably was doing other things, so missed the wartargets, because he was watching Netflix (or something similar).

Undocking a Orca while at war is the biggest mistake, unless specifically to use it as bait.

1 Like

The ■■■■ show continues. Mechanics will be mechanics, intelligent usage will always overcome naff leadership.

again you haven’t really pointed out why? There is no unfair advantage, both sides can do this. you can’t just switch whenever you have to remove yourself from play before you switch and this method is used far more by defenders than aggressors. letting members drop corp during a war and rejoin during structure timers to defend/attack. HS wars would be a lot more taxing on particularly smaller industrial corps if members couldn’t drop and re-join.

You should have see the fit, it was bad. An actual orca fit would have dealt with the two people who killed it no problem.

Yeah, there’s some irony in having a shield command burst fit, to help boost others, while being so poorly fit himself.

Because surprisingly padding a corp’s memberbase functionally makes wardec 24 hour grace windows moot because a non-threat with a destroyed HQ can do things like this and all sorts of additional scenarios can pop up. It comes across to me as a flawed system that wants to create a window of fair combat but then can simply be sidestepped through methods like this. It’s rather similar to how in the past, non war eligible logi could simply stay on grid and rep without suspect timers. They fall into the same category to me.

You’d also get the benefit of noobs or unaware or uninformed players joining corps that are at war and immediately getting killed. I understand that these are how it is now, but I think it would be better on a whole for it to change like this.

This is an issue right here. It’s a war. There is no thing as a ‘non-threat’.

The corp should have know that just as others can join them, the war aggressors also have that same ability.

2 Likes

no it doesn’t. Nothing about WDs are set up to facilitate “fair combat” the exist simply to remove concord from player disputes,

that sounds like a failure of leadership. also they can’t immediately get killed. You are alerted they are at war when applying, when you join you get a mail and a notification about the war. So you some how need to miss all of that and then undock before you’re at risk of being killed.

again the only thing this change does is make life harder for HS corps while only serving to protect unprepared and inattentive pilots.

particularly when even if it was just the one guy they were worried about either of those ships would have killed that orca solo.

1 Like

What all of this comes down to is that a group of players, upon receiving a war declaration from a corporation with just one member in it, assumed that the enemy corporation would continue to have just one member throughout the war.

A common rookie mistake, and a good trial-and-error learning opportunity.

3 Likes

I mean, yeah. We are veering into the territory of how I’d prefer the mechanics of high-sec to be instead of how they are now, which I feel favors too highly the veterans that have set up high-sec alts and operations to prey on newer or less experienced EVE players like sharks let into kid’s pool.

I think these mechanics and systems need as much updating as faction warfare and missions to be blunt.

yeah no, the way they are now brand new corps are completely free from war decs so that’s not really an argument. Personally I think you should only need a structure to declare war and not need one to have a war declared against you. But thats just because I saw how good it was for players new and old to have to deal with war decs.

This is accurate yes and it was true up until the final hours of the war timer, a good chunk of time after the HQ was destroyed.

My argument though is that this is a sort of mechanic that should be questioned. Can someone explain why the war continuing a full 24 hours after HQ destruction is a current mechanic besides the sort of thing that occurred in this situation?

nice round number, i mean do you want it to be invalidated the moment the structure pops? because that would cause far more issues.

Because you also need to wait 24 hours for a war to start. There’s leeway given to both sides. Making a war end hard-stop at HQ destruction would just be another imbalance against aggressors. Defenders already have massive advantages as it is, with the ability to bring in allies and use holding corporations for structures to avoid having most of their members be war-eligible.

It’s not like the game made it seem like the war was over when the HQ was destroyed. A notification gets sent out telling everyone exactly when the war will end. Until the war actually ends, either side bringing in more people is as valid as it was for them to do it while the HQ was still alive.

2 Likes

An hour later would suffice I suppose. There should be a stronger need for an attacker to defend their HQ I feel.

Can confirm that the 24h period is intended.

You get 24h notice of the wardec starting so there’s 24h notice of the wardec ending.

It’s also not an exploit to join a corp that’s under a wardec. And once you’re part of the corp you are instantly part of the war. That’s all normal mechanics working alongside eachother.

Tldr

All of this is fine. Just keep an eye out when flying under a wardec.

2 Likes

Personally I feel this is also a mechanic that should not exist in the way it is, I’d like to see the amount of structures a corporation can own be relative to their member count.

okay soooo, i just need to load the corp up with alts and continue as is?

I mean yeah, I’d distinctly prefer war scenarios where almost gank like situations like what happened are less likely.

I suppose I have my answers to the OP questions, we’re just squarely at a point where I’m discussing things that I’d like to see added or changed are, of which are of course only opinions based on my perspective and a goal of making things simpler in this game. I’d like it to be a game where someone’s corp introduction mail isnt required to have tons and tons of information about risks and what to do and not to do.

1 Like