Warp to Zero - Autopilot - Real Need or Fallacy?

I think they must read the forums on occasions and realised travelling 20 jumps pushing a button now and then is hardly entertaining.

Edit:
There is a downside on faster travel and that is it will make the universe seem smaller.

1 Like

Over the years I’ve noticed that CCP seems to have lists of features people really want and when ■■■■ starts hitting the fan they magically have the time to implement them. This is all just a ruse to shift peoples’ opinion.

We’ll see what happens at Vegas and if it paid off stockpiling a few PLEX in advance.

4 Likes

A nice example of those failing to learn from history.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apologies for my newness, but I’m left wondering why the change was even made at all.
IMO there’s little practical difference between auto-piloting on 15 km or 10 km. Still seems like plenty enough time to get jumped if anyone is waiting nearby.

Someone said earlier that this is more appeasement than anything else, and I tend to agree. Makes little sense otherwise.

They should make autopilot warp to zero.

It would reduce the amount of ganking on people moving around hi-sec. Might reduce the number of people who are ganked and quit as a result.

1 Like

Talk about totally not getting it, not even after at least one poster already explained in one of the first replies that the very reason to make autopilot not warp to 0 is precisely to make pilots using AP easier to be ganked…

1 Like

I almost liked your post, but don’t quite agree with it.

I don’t think it’s so much a matter of trying to induce players to not pay attention, which is what you appear to be saying, as it is to give players that have a natural tendency to be or play that way to be able to do so if they so choose, at the price of making themselves easy targets for other players.

The difference is subtle (and I’m not sure I made it clear), but significant, because the way I see it doesn’t seem a design mistake to me, as long as you’re also able to enjoy the game in other more interesting ways if you so choose…

FWIW, I’ve stopped playing EvE at least a couple times in the past, and one of the reasons one of those times was precisely that I found many things I wanted to do in EvE were too tedious.

But the key here is you may also choose to do activities that don’t have this problem, so when I returned I decided to simply not do anything that would make me feel that way and explore other ways to play the game instead…

Warping from gate to gate, system through system, is very tedious. And that’s why autopilot is useful. You can avoid that tedium. But a lot of people are ganked because of this. And the game may be losing players as a result. Some players will also just put up with the tedium because they don’t want to risk being ganked.

Just make autopilot warp to zero. It will reduce the amount of ganks taking place. Arguing otherwise suggests to me that you are a ganker.

2 Likes

The real issue, is that the game needs to have the items priced per location.
That is, the price of an item should include the price of moving the item. Otherwise it defeats the goal of the industrial indexes of systems.
This means, that moving stuff MUST be a cost. Either it’s a time cost (the time you take to actively move stuff safely from A to B), or it’s a potential gank loss(the chance to be blown up with the stuff from A to by moving it AFK).
The AP to 0 would remove the second case, meaning that I could move safely my stuff while being AFK, so without an additional cost.

2 Likes

No, because autopiloting is not instant. It still takes time.

And warping to zero doesn’t make you immune to ganking. But it does make life harder for gankers. There is still an element of risk, especially if you’re using an industrial ship.

It does not take YOUR time, which is the real value in Eve. When you can AFK and have same element of risk as when you are not AFK, what’s the worth of not getting AFK ?

I have to move 2B of bpos in a 1s align hecate. If AP warps at 0, then why would I not use it ? I should just go AFK while the AP moves my bpos safely through HS. Go to the grocery, 20min later my bpos are safe in a station.

2 Likes

As a person who uses autopilot everyday about 80 percent of the time i play, i can firmly amd honestly say its not broken, and you die alot less than is being stated, given i fly with nothing of value, and if i do have valuable loot its in my BR and im active.
yes i fly through low sec afk ap.
yes i fly through null sec afk ap.
yes i still make it to my destination about 95 percent of the time.

2 Likes

You don’t get it, not even after having explained it to you already… Nobody is arguing that making AP warp to 0 wouldn’t reduce the number of pilots being ganked…

Again, what I’m telling you is that this is intended, that this is precisely the reason AP doesn’t warp to 0, to make pilots using that feature easier targets and more vulnerable to being ganked…

There is nothing to “fix”, other than your inability to understand suicide ganking is an intended game mechanic, not a problem that needs to be “fixed”…

7 Likes

When I look at the number of people travelling on the trade routes and compare with kills on zkill, either most of these supposed kills are not being reported or there’s not as much ganking as you think.

3 Likes

No. It was never “intended”. It came about many years later. If Eve was realistic at all there would be a warp to zero option. It’s 2019 and we already have self driving cars.

Well it isn’t and warping to zero is one of the least of the “not realistic” deviations from reality.

2 Likes

What? CONCORD has been part of high sec mechanics since the beginning. When was suicide ganking not an intended game mechanic? When was illegally shooting other players in high sec not possible? That it didn’t become a mainstream activity until sometime later doesn’t mean it wasn’t an intended game mechanic since the very beginning…

Who said anything about EvE being or having to be realistic? Of course EvE isn’t realistic, nor is it supposed to be. So what?

2 Likes

In the early days there was no warp to zero, there wasn’t so much ganking going on either. Probably why warp to zero came about.

All the autopilot change does is speed the journey up, doesn’t do anything for safety, which was the point of it.

Yeah, I know, but why would you say that in reply to my previous post?

We already talked about that above. Before WTZ, people made bookmarks off of every gate and warped to them at range, causing you to land on 0 anyway, but with thousands of bookmarks in your list. WTZ was implemented to clean that up. Autopilot didn’t get WTZ because it didnt want to reward lazy AFK people.

2 Likes