Weird GPU temp issue

If a client program could not overheat the GPU, why do modern GPUs have overheat protection then?

Also in the realm of “bad programming” there is a scenario where one could disable automatic fan control, set fan speed to low and overheat right away.

And even without those things, uncapped FPS generally has the potential for GPU overheating. Overheating a CPU is not really uncommon, a lot of games faced it and had to be patched. Maybe you have not enough gaming experience to know it?

1 Like

Ah…that’s the response I was looking for. Somewhere in Windows, I forget exactly where, there is an option to devote all resources to the current active window. That avoids situations where its still devoting lots of resource to inactive windows.

Here’s the thing…..when you restart windows ( rather than switch off and on again ) it clears down all cache that includes what the current active window was that you were in and a bunch of other related stuff. That is probably why you don’t get the issue on a restart.

I would bet that if you start up your computer, go to char 1 and make it current window, then go to char 2 and do same…and then go back to char 1 as active window, it wont do the problem if you switch off PC and boot up again. That would support my hypothesis.

This is because the client stops drawing when it’s minimized (NOT when it is merely behind something, however). The temp is dropping because the GPU isn’t doing anything (or is doing less if you still have one open) in that state.

In the “hot” state, what is your temperature baseline with no applications or anything significant running, just a windows desktop?

The client program not being able to overheat the GPU isn’t the same thing as the GPU being incapable of overheating.

It could still overheat due to a cooling failure or an overly aggressive overclock.

Also in the realm of “bad programming” there is a scenario where one could disable automatic fan control, set fan speed to low and overheat right away.

I have just manually set my fan speed to minimum and stacked a couple of Eve windows on top of each other to load it up.

It hit the thermal throttling temperature (83) and the framerate dropped. At 85 it ran the fans anyway.

Nothing overheated.

Again, all this will do is load up the GPU to max. If the GPU is working correctly, hasn’t been aggressively OCed, has working cooling, etc., it will not overheat from being run at max. There are entire farms of GPUs being run at full tilt, 24/7 for cryptocurrency and AI applications.

Sure, if it has a cooling failure or has been OCed too aggressively. Otherwise, false. Again, they can be run indefinitely at 100% utilization without issue.

Like… can you articulate an actual mechanism by which you believe this is happening?

Through what witchcraft is a game running a CPU or GPU at full utilization generating more heat than a stresstest application, cryptominer, etc. running the CPU or GPU at full utilization?

Based on the evidence provided, it’s most likely that you have a poltergeist in either one of the fans or (possibly) the thermal paste itself. You can usually resolve this by reciting ten Hail Mary’s and sprinkling Holy Water across the device. It may be necessary to attach a crucifix directly to the motherboard.

3 Likes

He just needs to install a holy water cooling system.

I kind of have had the similar experience with EVE client, but I never restarted my computer for it to happen. It just seems to sometimes run hot, and when I close the clients and reopen from launcher, it will then run cool. Sometimes it’s cool upon initial launch, sometimes it takes 2-3 launches to get it to ‘‘cool down’’. I don’t know what causes this. I notice such a differential when all other background activity on my computer remains the same (i.e. I don’t open new programs or close old ones between different EVE client launches). I don’t have an explanation for this, just that I’ve noticed a similar behavior.

I have a pretty old Macbook Pro from 2017.

Friend you come off sounding like this;

Excuse me everyone, I have a desk lamp and it is not producing light on my desk.

Have you turned it on?

No, I think my desk broke it.

Change the bulb, it might work.

Nah, it is on my desktop and I am pretty sure, the desk has something to do with it.

Is it plugged in?

I think I need a new desk.


That was an interesting and entertaining read. You don’t take advice very well, do you?

2 Likes

This is the way. :rose:

Hwinfo64 is like the best tool ever and its saved me countless times. If you can read the info its telling you then you can absolutely find exactly what the problem is.

1 Like

Most modern GPU fans don’t even switch on until a set temperature. For example, for my RTX 3060 it is around 60C. Below that, the GPU fans are actually off….which most people probably wouldn’t notice as the fans are on the underside of the graphics card. Setting the fan speeds to minimum will make no difference as they are not running anyway below a threshold.

One has to bear that in mind when setting a fan speed profile.

Above 60C, the fan speed increases with the temperature. The max temperature for mine is 93C…though in fact the GPU switches off around the upper 80s

For Nvidia GPUs, one can use the Nvidia App, quite a useful tool, for showing temps, etc.

Yep, and if you put the overlay in advanced mode you can get fps, gpu load, temp, voltage, current, fan rpm, vram clock, cpu load, etc all in a hud display.

check for a crypro hijack. hitman pro is best for this in my expeience

While this could also be some advice for the problem, everything here is so irrelevant to the OP, that we aren’t even worthy to know the used operating system. Could be anything from Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS to Windows. It is just two boxes that somehow run two toons and get hot while doing so the first time.
Any further info is denied and you get zero feedback on your suggestions aside from “i ignore everything in this thread, but it still doesn’t work”.

Mac users never call their hardware:

unless, of course, that person is suggesting there is an issue with game files, settings or coding, that theoretically cause some hiccups in the irrelevant hardware.

Amazing, the disparity of the information and assumptions in the responses. I still say thanks for the effort, all!

Anyway, I finally used the Nvidia app to optimize for EVE - I had to adjust a couple of things afterwards, such as the full screen mode back to Window - but all in all it works.

Temperature now 55C. Both toons running on different screens as usual.

I’ll give it some time and report back.

Perhaps next time you can give folks more specific info. Specs of your rig, what have you done so far, very specific things to help focus more on the problem at hand instead of all this guess work.

I mean, why didnt you just try the nvidia app before causing all this chaos in this thread.

Your thread is pure fun. The problem isn’t stated properly, all people investing their lifetime to answer you are ignored and then even the details of the solution are hidden from public view (“i have optimized it…it works now”) so that no one facing the same problem and finding your thread with a forums search might even learn something…

I might as well block you now so that i’m not drawn into more nonsense threads you might open in the future…

2 Likes

For those that want the box specs - I still say that’s irrelevant if the system can be settled in to a constant 60C and it can….

It’s something about the way EVE starts up. Again, thanks for the help…

A computers temperature is just one very tiny aspect of many things that can be in relation to program issues. Its obvious that you have no good computer common sense if you think that any info given about your rig and how you maintain it vs the programs it runs is irrelevant.

I still say its your end. Its just the matter of you accepting the fact that you need to dig a little deeper into your system. There are tools to do that…if you so choose to learn how to use them effectively.

I think this thread has run its course. Just do me one little tiny favor. If you should ever find out what your issue is, then please update this thread on what you found so that in the future if another person has this same issue…theyll have a good baseline of where to start and what to do to remedy it.

To end this, here are some recommendations on what to give when you ask the public for computer help:

1 - Of course, state the issue. Be as absolutely specific as you possibly can even if it sounds silly. Theres never too much info when it come to computers.

2 - List the specs of your rig. Everything in the tower, operating system, and other programs that you are running while gaming. All that info is important.

3 - Tell us what youve done so far to fix the issue. Again, specifics are important. Can you replicate the problem consistently, does it happen randomly, is the intervals of the issue the same, are they different. The better its explained, the better the help youll receive.

Yes, its all very relevant. If you take your computer to a repairman….they will want to know all this information. Better information equals better results.

I’d estimate that at least 90% of computer repair companies’ customers have no idea what the configuration of their equipment is.