What are you reading?

The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story
by Douglas Preston

2 Likes

There was an Enders Game movie - watched it yesteday on Netlfix - it sucked. But it did make me want to read the book again.(added to list)

Plus was already thinking of re-reading the rats trilogy again also. (added to list)

Reading this thread has me going to make notes on all above reccomendations and probably add ■■■■ loads of more books to my future reading list.

Reading list sorted for a long time. Cheers for the tips o7

Roy

If you’ve never reade the Maician series ( Riftwar Saga) by Raymond E Fiest then that’ll keep you busy for quite some time, and you mind will thank you forever. The Empire series he wrote with Janny Wurtz are a delight also (follows after the first 3 Riftwar books, Magician, Silverthorn, and A Darkness at Sethanon)

Poul Anderson’s The High Crusade. If you’ve ever wanted to read about knights fighting aliens and using a spaceship to reclaim Jerusalem, you have to read this.

Neal Asher, The Voyage of the Sable Keech: The Second Spatterjay Novel. The writing and story’s kind of patchy in spots, same as in the first novel. But it’s worth it all because of the nasty world of sea creatures Neal invented, and his sub-plots of monster vs. monster predations. And also the funny overkill war drone Sniper, whose AI includes the “attitude” sub-module… Some places will put a physical smirk or grin on your face.

1 Like

Pod & Planet Eve fiction contest entries. A lot of them this year are short, quick zinger stories.

1 Like

Just finished Into the Drowning Deep.

Good novel. Mermaids :smiley: But the cryptid version, not a nice version.

Just started Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, heard it’s an intense read…

1 Like

Re-reading The Mirror of her Dreams by Stephen Donaldson. One of my all time favourites. Probably my 10th read.

I have The Many Coloured Land by Julian May racked up after that.

Reliving my teens, I think.

A New History of Life

By Peter Ward & Joe Kirschvink

Pacific Crucible-The War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942

By Ian W. Toll

If you are interested in either subject these are good books.

2 Likes

Reaper Man - Terry Pratchett

Just finishing Arnold Drive by Hugh Cornwell. Yes, Hugh Cornwell of The Stranglers. It’s a great one, really. Arnold is a good soul and a character that you end up feeling like you know well. Who would have thought tough guy Hugh had that in him?

I recommend:

1. Dune by Herbert (original saga),
  2. Foundation by Asimov,
  3. Witcher Saga by Sapkowski,
  4. Earthsea by Le Guin,
  5. Ekumen by Le Guin,
  6. The Book of the New Sun by Wolfe (will blow your mind),
  7. The Book of the New Sun by Wolfe (continuation, better to read),
  8. The Book of the Short Sun by Wolfe (still before me),
  9. Sprawl trilogy by Gibson (if you like cyberpunk).

Also Philip K. Dick, Harry Harrison, Neil Gaiman.

What great writer in sf-fi or fantasy genre do I miss? Like you must read it before you die.

1 Like

you missed Raymond E Feist’s Magician series, and Terry Brooks Shannara series

1 Like

Right, Feist serie is very good, best cycle about magic I ever read, Shannara is still before me.

And don’t forget Iain M. Banks and his Culture novels. Really great space opera sci-fi, with sophisticated writing.

1 Like

Just finished “Origins” by Dan brown, everyone said it was his best but I’d say “Inferno” is

2nd’Ed lol R.E. Feist is the king of fantasy imo

It’s between him and Terry Brooks at the moment. I had high hopes for the Shannara TV series, but it wasn’t so great. It’s OK as a standalone thing but it isn’t remotely the books, and what should have been an epic siege to make the LotR Helm’s Deep battle look like a skirmish came out looking more like a bad LARP weekend in Grimsby.

1 Like

The Beekeeper’s Apprentice… By Laura R. King