What are you reading?

Anybody read Metro 2033 or can recommend good post-apo books?

Forget about The Tower by King (movie is a disaster).

1 Like

I’ve normally got 3 or 4 on the go.

Fictionwise at the moment I’m reading
Raising Steam - Terry Pratchett
Weapons Of Choice - John Birmingham
We are Legion (We Are Bob) - Dennis Taylor
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

Non fiction is an industry standards manual for work :ugh:

2 Likes

Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s Astrophysics for People in a Hurry (2017)

2 Likes

Iain M. Banks, Against a Dark Background It’s not one of his Culture novels, but it’s very similar to them. Good stuff.

1 Like

I’ve purchased and started reading Arnold Schwarzenegger’s “The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding: The Bible of Bodybuilding”. I look forward to slimming down.

2 Likes

I finished reading the encyclopedia and learned many invaluable info. I’ll be making progress even faster now.

I haven’t decided which book to read next.

1 Like

The Final Fall of Man series by Andrew Hindle, a Douglas Adam-esque tail 8(?) short books.

Eejit, the first book is only 99c on Amazon atm, so gonna recommend.

Also reading the latest book in The Expanse series… haven’t read any articles on their decision to jump 30yrs from the prior book, but IMO it’s harder to keep my interest in this one.

Dune is a 1965 science fiction novel with spice 12 years before Star Wars hauled spices in space.
1 Like

I have been spending A lot of time at work reading reddit.com/r/hfy.

Lots of fun little stories, a few good long reads, and usually something good and new every other day.

I can also highly suggest The last Angel Series on spacebattles.com here. Massive Space battles, quick thinking Rampant AI’s, What could go wrong? Well worth your time!

~Buldath

1 Like

The Devil’s Chessboard by David Talbot.

I finished reading Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time . It is a book to be read during childhood. I wasn’t impressed much as a grown up but I’ll still give it 4.5 stars out of 5.

2 Likes

I still like that book.

1 Like

Recently from SciFi genre

Persepolis Rising by James S. A. Corey - good as always although a bit dissappointing plot wise
The Medusa Chronicles by Stephen Baxter and Alastair Reynolds - liked that one a lot
Raft by Stephen Baxter - awkward, somewhat disgusting yet interesting
Apotheosis, Moreau and Hostile Takeover by S. Andrew Swann - good reads

A while ago but worth mentioning
Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons - four big, fat books, awesome reading
Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbel - epic space battles
Revelation Space, Poseidon’s Children and few more by Alastair Reynolds - I always have a great time reading this author
The Night’s Dawn Trilogy and Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton -first one I liked a lot, second wasn’t bad either. Great author overall.

and most impartantly, athough not SciFi, but epic reading - everything by Terry Pratchett!

2 Likes

so currently reading Iridescent (A Legend of the Ashlands) …while i can…(long list of books to get through, many that still being written, and some that i get to proof read <3 )

stuff on the que to read are

Spice and Wolf Volume 18, and 19 is coming out soon
Wolf and Parchment Volume 1, and 2 is coming out soon
Saga of Tanya the Evil Volume 1, and 2 is coming out soon (so much coming out so fast x.x )
No Game No Life volume 1
Log Horizon (i think i left off at volume 4)
Hellgate London Book 2
American Kitsune volume 4.

Also want to reread Templar One and Empyerian Age.
and maybe the Drizzt Do’urden series…

then theres the list of stuff i’m keeping up to date with as they come out chapter after chapter.
Fallout Equestria Speak
Fallout Equestria Homelands
Fallout Equestria Commonwealth
Fallout Equestria Commonwealth Far Harbor
+like 6 more…

Plus stuff i’m reading for political reasons
including
Look Who’s Back (cause its ironic how people nowadays call everyone nazis, but can’t identify an actual one…)
Gamer Gate (i’m on GG’s side)
and a few diaries on WW1 (why is so little taught about this in school? WW1 has so much to learn about!)

…help me the books coming faster than i can read them

When my books started cluttering the house I moved to ebooks. Apart from more free space I’ve also noticed I’m reading a lot faster. Main reason to that is that I’m reading from my smartphone so each time I’m waiting for something becomes a good moment to read.

Another good side of that is that I can read in english with a dictionary at hand.

4 Likes

http://chinesewarstrategies.blogspot.ca/2008/.../36-strategies-of-ancient-china-overview.ht.
Chinese War Strategies: 36 STRATEGIES OF ANCIENT CHINA …

http://www.businessinsider.com/33-strategies-of-war-you-should-apply-to-everyday-life-2012-5
33 Strategies Of War You Should Apply To Everyday Life - Business …

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143112783/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thebusiinsi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0143112783

Brilliant distillations of the strategies of war—and the subtle social game of everyday life—by the bestselling author of The 48 Laws of Power

Robert Greene’s groundbreaking guides, The 48 Laws of Power, The Art of Seduction, and Mastery, espouse profound, timeless lessons from the events of history to help readers vanquish an enemy, ensnare an unsuspecting victim, or become the greatest in your field. In The 33 Strategies of War, Greene has crafted an important addition to this ruthless and unique series.

Spanning world civilizations, synthesizing dozens of political, philosophical, and religious texts and thousands of years of violent conflict, The 33 Strategies of War is a comprehensive guide to the subtle social game of everyday life informed by the most ingenious and effective military principles in war. Structured in Greene’s trademark style, The 33 Strategies of War is the I-Ching of conflict, the contemporary companion to Sun Tzu’s The Art of War.

Abundantly illustrated with examples from history, including the folly and genius of everyone from Napoleon to Margaret Thatcher, Shaka the Zulu to Lord Nelson, Hannibal to Ulysses S. Grant, as well as movie moguls, Samurai swordsmen, and diplomats, each of the thirty-three chapters outlines a strategy that will help you win life’s wars. Learn the offensive strategies that require you to maintain the initiative and negotiate from a position of strength, or the defensive strategies designed to help you respond to dangerous situations and avoid unwinnable wars. The great warriors of battlefields and drawing rooms alike demonstrate prudence, agility, balance, and calm, and a keen understanding that the rational, resourceful, and intuitive always defeat the panicked, the uncreative, and the stupid. An indispensable book, The 33 Strategies of War provides all the psychological ammunition you need to overcome patterns of failure and forever gain the upper hand.

People also ask
What is the 33 strategies of war about?

The 33 Strategies of War is a 2006 book written by American author Robert Greene that is described as a “guide to the subtle social game of everyday life informed by the … military principles in war”.

The 33 Strategies of War is a 2006 book written by American author Robert Greene that is described as a “guide to the subtle social game of everyday life informed by the … military principles in war”.[1] It is composed of discussions and examples on offensive and defensive strategies from a wide variety of people and conditions, applying them to social conflicts such as family quarrels and business negotiations.[2][3][4]

http://www.wikisummaries.org/wiki/The_33_Strategies_of_War
Contents
1 Synopses of the Strategies
1.1 Part 1: Self-Directed Warfare
1.2 Part 2: Organizational (Team) Warfare
1.3 Part 3: Defensive Warfare
1.4 Part 4: Offensive Warfare
1.5 Part 5: Unconventional (Dirty) War
2 Complete Table of Contents

Synopses of the Strategies
Part 1: Self-Directed Warfare
Reversal
Identify and fight your opponents, but when you have won act conciliatory.

1. Declare War on Your Enemies: The Polarity Strategy.
  2. Do Not Fight the Last War: The Guerrilla-War-of-the-Mind Strategy.
  3. Amidst the Turmoil of Events, Do Not Lose Your Presence of Mind: The Counterbalance Strategy.
  4. Create a Sense of Urgency and Desperation: The Death-Ground Strategy.

Part 2: Organizational (Team) Warfare
5) Avoid The Snare of Groupthink: The Command-and-Control Strategy.
6) Segment Your Forces: The Controlled-Chaos Strategy.

Reversal
Morale spreads, but so does discontent. At the first sign of discontent quell it. In 58 bce Julius Caesar actually arrested his rumormongers.
7) Transform Your War into a Crusade: Morale Strategies.

Part 3: Defensive Warfare
8) Pick Your Battles: The Perfect Economy Strategy.
9) Turn the Tables: The Counterattack Strategy.
10) Create a Threatening Presence: Deterrence Strategies.
11) Trade Space for Time: The Nonenagement Strategy.

Part 4: Offensive Warfare
12) Lose The Battles But Win The War: Grand Strategy.
13) Know Your Enemy: The Intelligence Strategy.
14) Overwhelm Resistance With Speed and Suddenness: The Blitzkrieg Strategy.
15) Control the Dynamic: Forcing Strategies.
16) Hit Them Where it Hurts: The Center of Gravity Strategy.
17) Defeat Them in Detail: The Divide and Conquer Strategy.
18) Expose and Attack Your Enemy’s Soft Flank: The Turning Strategy.
19) Envelop The Enemy: The Annihilation Strategy.
20) Maneuver Them Into Weakness: The Ripening For the Sickle Strategy.
21) Negotiate While Advancing: The Diplomatic-War Strategy.
22) Know How To End Things: The Exit Strategy.

Part 5: Unconventional (Dirty) War
23) Weave a Seamless Blend of Fact and Fiction: Misperception Strategies.
24) Take The Line of Least Expectation: The Ordinary-Extraordinary Strategy.
25) Occupy the Moral High Ground: The Righteous Strategy.
26) Deny Them Targets: The Strategy of the Void.
27) Seem to Work for the Interests of Others While Furthering Your Own: The Alliance Strategy.
28) Give Your Rivals Enough Rope To Hang Themselves: The One-Upmanship Strategy.
29) Take Small Bites: The Fait Accompli Strategy.
30) Penetrate Their Minds: Communication Strategies.
31) Destroy From Within: The Inner Front Strategy.
32) Dominate While Seeming to Submit: The Passive-Aggressive Strategy.
33) Sow Uncertainty and Panic Through Acts of Terror: The Chain Reaction Strategy.

Edit:

Online book version. (eBook / Electronic Book)

1 Like

Self-Reliance and Other Essays, by Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger, by Marc Levinson.

2 Likes

Yeah, can be shipped on oil tankers, airplanes, trucks, trains and more (there is only pretty much freight liner).

Iain M. Banks, Matter. Was pretty excellent I thought, like all of his Culture and non-Culture SF books. (Haven’t read any of his mainstream fiction books yet).

::Fantasizes again about a well-done Culture PC game::

::talking to self in this thread:: Re-reading Roger Zelazny’s Amber Chronicles. I read the first five books (“The Corwin Cycle”) many years ago. Roger’s not an especially great composer of prose, but his ideas-- pretty excellent.

::Fantasizes again about a well-done Amber PC game. Considers finding an online Amber - Diceless RPG group, knows will probably never get around to it::