What are you reading?

:open_book: TODAY IS NATIONAL BOOK LOVERS DAY! :open_book:
Since many people suggest me to read non-fiction, I’ll be re-reading CWG 1-2-3-4-9 :blush:

Currently on Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson (which is just making me look forward to Cyberpunk 2077 all the more)

2 Likes

Border crossing - cormac McCarthy. He’s a great American writer. I have read many others you have mentioned and enjoyed immensely.

1 Like

So the song was named AFTER the book. How nice. I have never read or played steampunk genre before but the closest I’ve come to it is playing Bioshock: Infinite, which was ok. Also the plot of the Memento film was inspired by Slick Henry character from the book you’re reading. I guess there’s nothing new under the sun. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am reading Blender tutorials.

4 Likes

Just finished working my way through the Freehold books from Michael Z Williamson. (military sci-fi, mostly following somewhat asymmetric warfare.)

Before that, the Black Tide Rising series by John Ringo. (modern day zombies. but ‘living’ ones. viral. somewhat believable)

These two are a touch preachy right wing, with a little strawmanning of left wing. But still good to read.

Just about to start Diving into the Wreck by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.

No idea on it :smiley:

You go, girl! Good for you. :blush:

Sounds like lessons on adopting the latest gender definition.

Or how to make smoothies…

It’s actually an opens-source 3D modelling software, knowing Nana does computer art.

1 Like

I recently discovered a German author I really enjoy reading. His name is Andreas Brandhorst and the novels are absolutely breathtaking. There are still a few of his novels left to read, so far they where all very satisfying to read.

Once I’m done I’m thinking about reading the Hyperion and Endymion novels again. They where one of my favours and it has been ages since I did read them in a German translation. This time I want to try the English original version as I may actually understand it by now :laughing:

2 Likes

did you read Neuromancer and Count Zero too (Sprawl Trilogy)?

Hyperion and Endymion!!! thx that’s what I missed.

I just read first 5 books of amber chronicles, impressive.

Blackout by Marc Elsberg. A world without electricity because certain people could exploit bugs and weaknesses in smart devices to bring down the pan-european and northamerican powergrid is a fascinating story. In particular as this scenario is way closer to reality than one might believe.

Yep, bought all three to read through whilst between contracts. I used to play Cyberpunk 2020, but for some reason never got round to reading them until now.

Mike Pondsmith is working with CDPR on Cyberpunk 2077. His GMs book helped me a lot when I was playing roleplays. This game will be awesome. If you like cyberpunk genre Altered carbon is very good.

Also “Virtual light” and “Idoru” by Gibson are not so bad. Similar shattered story with cumulation at the end.

I really liked Altered Carbon, it’s an interesting concept, with the stack/clone idea reminding me somewhat of EvE cloning.

Let’s see… this year (as far as I can remember)

Spinward Fringe Broadcast… (a Series of 10+ books by Randolph Lalonde) space opera stuff
Dune… (a series of 5 by Frank Herbert) probably 10th time through more space opera, on a massive scale
Ready Player One … (by Ernest Cline) fun book… read it twice
Foundation Series … (Asimov) 3rd time through this series
Frankenstein … (Mary Shelley) enjoyed a classic, again
The Invisible Man … (H.G. Wells)
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea … (Jules Verne)

I can’t remember the rest off the top of my head, but there are other classics I’ve read this year along with my annual read of:

The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Hitch Hikers Guide to the Universe, etc…

1 Like
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules, by Jeff Johnson.

• War is a Racket, by General Smedley D. Butler.

I have read four books about photographing this year and books have given me good view what my compact camera can do.

I have also read travel guide to Iceland.

1 Like

I’d like to visit Iceland properly only had a transfer there so far. I did get some of the Floki whisky there though, which was very nice indeed.

I have an Emotional Quotient book or did list an Emotional Quotient book, or EM, as it was referred to in the book of medical psychology.
I will try to verify later and will know what I can find.