What are you reading?

I finished reading Quest For Truth and this year I am finally able to start reading the Wheel of Time books.

1 Like

https://books.google.ca/books/about/How_To_Live_365_Days_A_Year.html?id=DgCMPQAACAAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y

How To Live 365 Days A Year

John A. Schindler, M.D.
Running Press, Aug. 20, 2002 - Self-Help - 400 pages

0 Reviews

One of the great self-help books of all time, How to Live 365 Days a Year has sold more than 1 million copies and has been translated into 13 languages. Author John A. Schindler, M.D. introduced the powerful concept of EII, or “emotionally induced illness,” long before most physicians were aware of the connection between emotions and physical health. Our new
More »
edition of this 195556 New York Times bestseller, a classic of the genre, has updated health and nutrition information by a leading health and fitness expert. Dr. Schindler’s original research explains how prolonged unhappiness sets off negative responses in the nervous and endocrine systems, producing symptoms of disease, and offers techniques for coping with EII. His landmark advice on positive lifestyle, exercise, and nutrition speaks volumes to today’s self-aware readers. Topics include achieving emotional satisfaction, attaining sexual maturity, dealing with stress in the workplace, and meeting the challenge of the aging years. John A. Schindler, M.D. co-founded the distinguished Monroe Clinic in 1939, where he advanced his revolutionary theories on psychosomatic medicine. His 1949 radio broadcast, titled “How to Live a Hundred Years Happily,” was so well received that transcripts of the show were printed and sold by the thousands. This led him to write the highly influential bestseller How to Live 365 Days a Year. Dr. Schindler died in 1957.

Title How To Live 365 Days A Year
Author John A. Schindler, M.D.
Edition reprint, revised
Publisher Running Press, 2002
ISBN 0762412224, 9780762412228
Length 400 pages

Subjects Self-HelpPersonal GrowthHappiness

EII

https://www.iassessonline.com/emotional-intelligence-inventory/
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/11985553_Measuring_emotional_intelligence

• 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People, by Susan M. Weinschenk, Ph.D.
1 Like

New designer make new people.

Also, EII was not for Emotional Intelligence Inventory,
[like if I didn’t design inventory system(s)],
but
“emotionally induced illness”
from
Author John A. Schindler, M.D. introduced the powerful concept of EII, or “emotionally induced illness,” long before most physicians were aware of the connection between emotions and physical health.
was
“emotionally induced illness”
which I failed to read because I skimmed through it too fast.
I read the book though, I just have to buy it .

1 Like

I’m currently re-reading an older book titled “Zero Limits”. I think it is a good time to re-visit it.

1 Like

I was asked to read Michael Mosley’s"The Fast Diet (The official 5:2 diet): The Simple Secret of Intermittent Fasting: Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer" book.

1 Like

Just started reading The Travels of Marco Polo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Travels_of_Marco_Polo). Came across it and thought yeah why not as sounded interesting about his tripping around in the 13th century.

I read the Amber Chronicles start of finish a few months ago. When I was done I wanted:
-An Amber PC game
-An Amber MMO
-If those unavailable, an Amber pen and paper RPG (There is one of those, but it’s so old I couldn’t find any groups playing it)
-An Amber TV series (One is planned, but the Walking Dead producers. Hope it actually happens some day)

Currently reading the Pod & Planet EVE fiction contest stories. My alter ego is contest judge. Some good stuff, as always!

As a GM with 15 years of experience (retired, WH mostly), paper rpg would require top level GM, but it would be fun, something like planescape torment and door to other worlds.

As for tv show. Huge battles, phasing troughout space and time - cgi budget for top producers only, no half measures, because it will look cheap.

If I want to start other dune novels beside main canon where should I start? Those wrote by the son.

The Amber Diceless paper RPG takes some of the pressure off, by making PCs non-characters of the novels, but being of a lineage of being able to walk the Pattern or initiate Shadow-walking with the Logrus. But agreed, it would take a pretty astute and on-the-spot creative GM. Player A is creating a Shadow and walking toward Courts of Chaos. Player B is in a specific Shadow and walking toward Avalon. Player C is waiting for her turn…

The press release for the TV series makes it sound like the guys are otaku-level Amber guys, and serious about doing it right. And they have the CGI and production experience to do it. https://www.skybound.com/chronicles-of-amber/tv/were-developing-chronicles-of-amber-for-tv/

For the question about the Dune novels, sorry, that’s for someone else to answer. I loved the first few books, but God Emperor of Dune kind of weirded me out.

Used to be a regular Christmas shopping thing for me; new Culture novel, alas no more. Same for Pratchett.

Currently re-reading them, finished Excession, which is excellent. Also reading Larry Niven’s Tales of Known Space series.

1 Like

What are the 17 principles of success

2. Mastermind Alliance

Scientific studies and practice have proven that people that work together in perfect harmony on the common goal, achieve more than one person on its own. Which partners do you need and choose to be successful and achieve your goal(s)? Cooperation and a powerful set of combined skills are a key factor for achieving success.

from
### Napoleon Hill - Think and Grow Rich.indd - 4motivi.com

THE THIRTY MAJOR CAUSES OF FAILURE
HOW MANY OF THESE ARE HOLDING YOU BACK?

Life’s greatest tragedy consists of men and women who earnestly try, and fail! The
NAPOLEON HILL THINK AND GROW RICH
tragedy lies in the overwhelmingly large majority of people who fail, as compared
to the few who succeed. I have had the privilege of analyzing several thousand
men and women, 98% of whom were classed as “failures.” There is something
radically wrong with a civilization, and a system of education, which permit 98%
of the people to go through life as failures. But I did not write this book for the
purpose of moralizing on the rights and wrongs of the world; that would require
a book a hundred times the size of this one.

5.LACK OF SELF-DISCIPLINE. Discipline comes through self-control. This
means that one must control all negative qualities. Before you can control conditions, you must first control yourself. Self-mastery is the hardest job you will ever
tackle. If you do not conquer self, you will be conquered by self. You may see at
one and the same time both your best friend and your greatest enemy, by stepping in front of a mirror.

(Personal Note Added:
This also holds true with the power of Positive Thinking also written by another psychologist, which is about
“that one must control all negative qualities”.)

1. ILL HEALTH. No person may enjoy outstanding success without good health.
    Many of the causes of ill health are subject to mastery and control. These, in the
    main are:
    a. Overeating of foods not conducive to health
    b. Wrong habits of thought; giving expression to negatives.
    c. Wrong use of, and over indulgence in sex.
    d. Lack of proper physical exercise
    e. An inadequate supply of fresh air, due to improper breathing.

8. PROCRASTINATION. This is one of the most common causes of failure. “Old
Man Procrastination” stands within the shadow of every human being, waiting
his opportunity to spoil one’s chances of success. Most of us go through life as
failures, because we are waiting for the “time to be right” to start doing something worthwhile. Do not wait. The time will never be “just right.” Start where you
stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better
tools will be found as you go along.

1. LACK OF PERSISTENCE. Most of us are good “starters” but poor “finishers” of
    everything we begin. Moreover, people are prone to give up at the first signs of defeat. There is no substitute for PERSISTENCE. The person who makes PERSISTENCE his watch-word, discovers that “Old Man Failure” finally becomes tired,
    and makes his departure. Failure cannot cope with PERSISTENCE.

2. NEGATIVE PERSONALITY. There is no hope of success for the person who
    repels people through a negative personality. Success comes through the application of POWER, and power is attained through the cooperative efforts of other
    people. A negative personality will not induce cooperation.

3. LACK OF CONTROLLED SEXUAL URGE. Sex energy is the most powerful
    of all the stimuli which move people into ACTION. Because it is the most power-
    ful of the emotions, it must be controlled, through transmutation, and converted
    into other channels.

4. UNCONTROLLED DESIRE FOR “SOMETHING FOR NOTHING.” The gambling instinct drives millions of people to failure. Evidence of this may be found
    in a study of the Wall Street crash of `29, during which millions of people tried to
    make money by gambling on stock margins.

17. WRONG SELECTION OF ASSOCIATES IN BUSINESS. This is one of the
most common causes of failure in business. In marketing personal services, one
should use great care to select an employer who will be an inspiration, and who
is, himself, intelligent and successful. We emulate those with whom we associate
most closely. Pick an employer who is worth emu-lating.

TAKE INVENTORY OF YOURSELF
28 QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD ANSWER

(Also good for inventory programs, or for moral inventory.)

Take this inventory by asking yourself the following
questions, and by checking your answers with the aid of someone who will not
permit you to deceive yourself as to their accuracy.

SELF-ANALYSIS QUESTIONNAIRE FOR PERSONAL INVENTORY

1 Like

Several of those are similar to the original root Buddhism teachings. Which is good, I’d say. Those teaching were so rational, and if thought through, common sense. Same for the Taoist writings.

Re-reading Iain M. Banks, Surface Detail. An exceptionally cruel book from his The Culture series. The first one I read, and it would have turned me off to Banks’s books in general, if it wasn’t so memorable and full of ideas. Much enjoying the re-read. I’ll probably read them all again before it’s over.

1 Like

Currently about halfway through Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. Quick read. Hope to move on to Homo Deus after that.

Also trying to muddle through The Law of Peoples by John Rawls. Not at all quick or easy. Sometimes philosophy PhDs write as if their only audience will be other philosophy PhDs.

Oh, but do they even write for anyone else? :open_mouth:

3 Likes

In relation to what?
Which several of those what are similar to the original root Buddhism teachings?
Is it the Napolean Hill book or other reference you were referring to?

The Personal Inventory also is related to actually designing inventory programs for accounting, or electronic data processing, like Bitcoins, or other programs / hardware.
Computers work like an inventory program and the inventory programs they use to store their hardware details and design hardware are the same.

Uncontrolled desire (of something for nothing) and lack of controlled sexual urge. But in Buddhist teachings, any kind of desire should be avoided. Desire ultimately leads to disappointment, which can lead to frustration and misery.

Wrong habits of thought, giving expression to negatives. In Buddhism, the only reality is the reality that we believe in. If we think negatively, we create a real negative reality for ourselves.

Oh yes, that has to do with self-control.
Too many people, including courts, who often are given everything, and sometimes, without good reasons, try to make up stories to put the wrong people into negative, and get paid for it.
I can see this every day with the same communication warfare, and this is also going on with Twitch and even on the forums here too.
Certain party try to make negativity and negative criticism seem as positive criticism to get away with damage and so on.

You can also see this with groups of people who claim to care for the wrong thing, and try to make creativity seem like a failure , which is also related to the 98% of people failing.

Uncontrolled desire (of something for nothing) is what I refer to for the crowns making unreasonable charges and demands in courts, disregarding the damage they cause the party involved, like, an executioner asking the person obligated the best of 2 bad options, in fallacy.

Lack of controlled sexual urge is more complicated as it is related to problems, and immorality.
Good sexual practice doesn’t rely on urges, and the energy from it is to be transferred into good, not into the negative patterns as are expressed above.

Both are directly related.
That, I find legal powers do a lot.
They also got charged and prosecuted for it.
Unfortunately, I am not able to have my family share association with this much negativity and enmity against our security and mental health.
I rather study psychology at this point since they try to make money to cause mental problems and alienate to deny income and so on.

It’s even more obvious when the parties involved resort to communication warfare and interference to try to justify their preconceived notions of what is right, while blatantly omitting the parts that they try to hide.
Completely ridiculous to even think they’d ever get away with it.
The sad part and most sickening part is that this is also caused at the depends of victims who go unprotected while criminals are allowed to get away with it, while victims are unfairly prosecuted, and while the prosecutors associate with the criminals in their illegal activity.

It is a grave injustice.
War inevitably erupt from this as should be.

Control if sexual energies and the transmutation of them into beneficial energies for others is also related to self-control, and to good self-control.
It is also used in psychology and brain surgery, to heal brain accidents, and psycho-analysis.

I know for a fact because there is ongoing coercion for the last 6 years and they try to justify doing this for life in acts of war.
I definitely don’t have right to hide them as it would be treacherous to do so, even as they suggest to hide them.
It’s already with Interpol.

1 Like

Daniel J. Levitin, This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession Pretty dang interesting information about:
How musical instruments make physically function to make notes vibrations
Pitch, timbre, tone and rhythm
How and why (mathematically) certain sound vibrations harmonize
Discussion of why the human brain finds some sequences of vibrations “bright” sounding (major), some “dark” (minor), and some just discordant/ugly. Even though every note is in tune, relative to one another
How music lights up the language processing, emotional, and intellectual part of the brain, all at the same time

The author was a semi-pro rock musician before he became a Ph.D. neuroscientist. He writes in a casual style like a musician, with plenty of actually funny absudist humor. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

https://ca.phaidon.com/store/food-cook/where-to-eat-pizza-9780714871165/

Where to Eat Pizza

Over 1,000 food experts and aficionados from around the world reveal their insider tips on finding the perfect slice of pizza

Featuring more than 1,700 world-wide pizzerias, parlours, and pizza joints listed. All you need to know - where to go, when to go, and what to order.

1 Like