What are your thoughts on sarcity?

I’m no economist, but if I remember right, where demand remains constant or increases and supply decreases, prices should increase. If they’re dropping–and they are–what gives?

It could be that “everyone” in New Eden knows about scarcity. Since so much depends on the industry, I think we might be seeing a decrease in prices as various corps and individuals buy up what’s unavailable, so they don’t have to rely as much on the market.

In short, there might be less of a demand on market-sourced minerals, which would follow with supply and demand; where demand drops but supply is high, the price drops. Scarcity has throttled the supply, but it’s still technically infinite.

From one perspective, we still have infinite supply, but the demand might’ve dropped in light of the frequency of the supply.

I welcome polite feedback and discussion. I enjoy learning, and economics is hardly my wheelhouse.

1 Like

This pretty much.

Production dropped off a cliff. Surprised me just how much. But it could be for one or more of a few reasons;

• The bottleneck of the new components.
  • The shock of the economy causing people to pause activities to reduce their exposure/risk.
  • Salty industrialists quitting.

I imagine it will recover overtime.

Also mining hasn’t slowed down.

1 Like

I don’t play enough that scarcity makes that much difference, and I play for different reasons than many of you, but I think it does not matter that much. If nothing else it will force players to do new things, and/or do old things in a different way. That’s a good thing. After a while, players can get stuck in a grind.

2 Likes

Here is my theory. Tin foil hat optional.

The reason prices have remained low has to do with how scarcity was implemented. Previously, resources were spread throughout high, low and null sec. Now, resources are more regionalized.

Market prices that are readily available to the players are all located in high sec systems. Resources now only found in high sec are in abundance in those markets resulting in lower prices. Based on my observations, ores and minerals only found in null sec have been rising in price as compared to everything else.

One of the side effects of scarcity has been the creation of new content. What I mean by that is an increase in transportation requirement to move raw materials around. CCP has indicated there exist large stockpiles of resources outside of high sec. At the moment, it is easier to deplete those stockpiles locally instead of creating the transportation system to move resources from high sec to null. Once those stockpiles are depleted, we would expect to see more demand in the high sec markets.

Lastly, cap ship industry is likely “shut down for retooling”. There are some significant changes to material requirements for large ships that involve multiple steps to produce. It is taking some time to get those materials produced in quantity.

Again, just my perspective.

4 Likes

Your theory makes a lot of sense.

Destruction remaining the same is just a bit sad. Both for CCP and players.
It’s at the same level now as it was 6 years ago and is still a long way BELOW production. Even with the war in Delve raging on for a year now, destruction remains unchanged aside from a small spike at the end of 2020, which lasted for about a week before dropping back to 2015 levels.

I would think that would be obvious, It is where people lived.

Ever lived in a WH where cynos can be lit or you have 4 or 5 or more entrances that you can’t close.

I haven’t heard a lot of complaints about either from anyone I know But I’m pretty sure after todays announcement, very few if any will be complaining. CCP looking to inject 20 Trillion isk back into nulsec, what a great idea.

At 10k, even if everyone payed the extra and subbed their accounts with plex purchased from CCP it wouldn’t even cover the upkeep of CCP headquarters, let alone pay staff.

1 Like

Indeed. But what that means is people are still losing their stuff despite scarcity. Also having had time to check zkillboard.com, daily kills are still pretty high. Compared to pre scarcity.

Not great, but not bad either.

And that had nothing to do with a small part of the population making the vast majority of wealth?

Yes it did, and was designed to be that way by CCP.
Also It isn’t really a “small” part of the population when you look at the size of the groups CCP’s poor design fostered. The Imperium and those they have been fighting for the last year total nearly 100K subscriptions alone

Every player had the same opportunities to cash in on CCP’s gifts of endless wealth, all you had to do was move to nulsec.

Do you have access to CCP’s budget? Would you care to share? Do you go to the Pearl Abyss investor meetings and listen to what they say about CCP’s income and expenses?

Care to share some actual numbers?

(P.S. The answer is no. You are just making it up.)

1 Like

You might need to point out to me where I even suggested anything about CCP’s budget.

What exactly am I making up?

Me thinks you may be reading words I didn’t write but do let me know if I’m wrong.

This is a post about their budget. You are making up the part where you know about their finances at all.

1 Like

Just how far do YOU estimate (which is all I did from 35 years of running my own business) a couple of million dollars a year would go keeping Eve alive?
Personally I don’t think roughly 2.4 million P/A would keep CCP’s doors open, do you?
Damn, I only employed between 15 and 20 people and spent more than that a month on running costs.

Is not the point. Did you forget this?

You’re flipping back and forth on your own arguments a lot.

They’re roughly 10% of the games population.

100k characters isn’t 100k accounts isn’t 100k subscription either.

1 Like

Then what exactly do you see as the point?
You said;

Now if my response is wrong by all means correct me. Reading back over your posts and my replies, I don’t think I could have been any clearer.
But just in case;
The reason the population in nulsec made the majority of wealth for so many years is directly related to CCP development.

I’m not flipping back and forth on anything. Ratting had been nerfed to a stupid level long before DBS/ESS changes killed it.

And that 10% is active unlike much of the other 90%. Right now the total games population is just over 19k. That’s logged in active players and doesn’t include accounts created 15 years ago that haven’t logged in for 14

Sorry but that’s EXACTLY what it is. An account is what one pays a monthly subscription on, well at least it was until CCP allowed long term “free to play”.
As my comment specifically stated “nearly 100k SUBSCRIPTIONS” you changing it to characters was just a little out there and not in the spirit of this conversation.
I don’t know just how many FTP members those two entities have on the field of battle but knowing many of the doctrines they use, there wouldn’t be many.

And to address your 100k characters, I’m well aware of how many characters you can have on a single account. I have 15 accounts (13 Alpha for the forseen future) with 38 characters.

No one disputed that. I honestly don’t know why you are bringing this up other than perhaps you are spinning so hard you’ve lost yourself.

I’ve been saying null sec created a disproportionate amount of wealth and scarcity is designed to impact null sec more than other areas.

Your responses range from:

‘scarcity hurts everyone equally’
‘I’m not affected by scarcity.’

‘why would anyone rat in null when you can make as much isk in hisec for less risk’
‘yes null makes a disproportionate amount of wealth but thats CCP’s fault’

How confused are you?

No that 10% is from actively playing population. It’s based on where players spend most of their game time. Probably based on stargate uses.

19k concurrent users is a snapshot of the day. It means in a given day the number of players is probably closer to triple that (3x different time zones) though i remember CCP saying the average game sesh’ was 2 hours so it may be 10x that many characters playing a day.

Meanwhile the 100k you’ve quoted includes characters that may not have been used for years.

So where are you getting that number from?

1 Like

Woooh!
QFT, Quoted For Truth!
These forums continue to amaze me. EVE players are certainly not the nicest people in the online world, but they are definitely some of the smartest, most perceptive, and most articulate.

No! You cannot take Asgaurd’s stuff. And you cannot pass Go and take your paycheck.

Especially right after Asguard, a character/player since 2003 says, “no you cant have my stuff, its all going down in flames with me.” You Forcy_Funtimes_Meatwater, have been since 2020. Which means you cannot compare your experience with that from Asguard. Even if it was a joke since you were not when this joke started.

This is Asgaurds first post in 3 years – I saw the banner in this forum thread. It seems like an old player, perhaps coming back; the guy seems to care about the game. But you Forcy, you have been less time in this game since the “Scarcity” started. I could be mistaken, but if you are an older player, let me show you another meme: “Post with your main character”.

And this is the problem in Eve community, not the developers. It is the shifting landscape where newer players trying to reuse old memes, have not had the experience, and try come with comments to influence the game.

Since I need to put something constructive on the subject, as an old player, here it goes:
We’ve seen scarcity before, it is another cycle.

PS: You cannot have my stuff, either. Unless you are someone who has provided content to this game for at least 10 years.

2 Likes

Can I have your stuff?

Then can I have your stuff? I have been playing since 08!