What brought you to EvE?

during the last few days of SWG. as we prepared for the shut down, most of my guild discussed games at the time which they’d likely run to, few of my dev friends went on to support the other SOE games, while many fled here to eve online due to the many great stories about big battles and a true space sim adventure which had unconsentual pvp… we launched the rebel transports and most of us fled here, which we remain here till something else comes. the Nyx was the ship that caught my attention. a beautiful design, BIG, and beastly… to me that became my eve online… then ccp came out with the Vendetta… and now eve is my digital drug…

4 Likes

Do you remember WoTs adverts where they took the piss out of Warcraft for being silly and EvE for being boring? Lol

2 Likes

I saw An Article about some space game that had added free to play and thought ‘why not?’

2 Likes

I bought eve when you could still find PC game cds at stores. My first MMO was Earth and Beyond, which was boring and eve looked like a more exciting space game. Somewhere I am sure I still have the original box and users manual.

2 Likes

Siege was dead, Felucca was dead. It was time to find new victims.

3 Likes

I started playing after watching few videos with avatar creator that was upcoming into the game, and few videos of fleet fights in space, I also remember reading about walking in stations, that CCP works on it. But then I explored thru trial and thought its different, but still good space game where lore matters and you get free expansions. Then I decided to eventually buy a game time code for two months and since then I made anough PLEX to not pay any more money for subscription.

3 Likes

No, I never saw those. That games constant rebalancing and ridiculous RNG just got too tedious. I have a garage full of discontinued tanks and reward tanks though.

3 Likes

A friend invited me to Eve.

We both used to play WoT together but that company screwed the game up about a 1 year ago. He and I were talking on TS one night. He started telling me about Eve. So he sent me an invite and I started playing. He even left his wormhole corp to start a new high sec corp, so we could play together. If was not for him teaching and assisting me in those early day, I probably would not be here still.

Since he helped me so much in those early days. I feel like I need to repay the kindness, so now I pass along everything I have learnt to any player that asks.

4 Likes

As I recall, EvE was something I heard little snippets about from time to time for years. Like, people would make an off-the-cuff comment about something and never fill in any details. So, EvE for a long time was like a dark, mysterious object to me. Some of the things I used to hear…

“…yeah, that game has awesome graphics. But damn, if you want a game that will make your GPU cry, that’d be EvE online”.

“…some guy brought a mining barge way out into some no-man’s land, got blown up, and went apeshit in comms”

“…well Colours Freelancer provides some of the things you’re asking about, but if you really want a game designed with those sorts of features, you’d be better off looking into EvE online.”

“…this guy was carrying game subscription tokens in his cargo hold, and he got attacked and killed. All the tokens were destroyed. Hundreds of dollars worth, real money, up in smoke. And no, the mods don’t step in to recoup those losses. They’re gone for good”.

“…they did something like a reverse-suicide gank. They all warped in to the target just as the torpedoes started to fly, so it hit all of them. His security status went from just below neutral to rock bottom. It’ll take him months, if ever, to recover his standings to go back to the high-security zones”.

“…they fly bits and parts of a station out there and defend it while it gets built. If they manage to protect it for days or weeks as they build up all the parts, they’ll have their very own outpost.”

“…if you ever want to learn how to play, just buy a dozen destroyers and fly deep into lowsec. You’ll keep getting blown up, but at least you’ll learn how the game works.”

I really had no idea what I’d be getting into, other than it was dark and unforgiving. To be completely honest I really thought the ships would, as a whole, be bigger and slower, but it turns out a lot of this game takes place in fast stuff (my impression of this game before joining was that the spaceships had the sort of maneuverability like the battlecruiser class does). I am a tiny bit disappointed in that. I would have enjoyed a slower, more methodical, tempered aesthetic.

5 Likes

This will be a long winded story…

Pull up a chair younglings and let Uncle Reaper tell ya a story.

in 2000 i played my first MMO, that being Ever Crack (quest) with two co workers. they got into it, i played it for about 2 months and went… nah that enough. Running around, killing ■■■■ with sticks and leveling up was not the fun for me. A few years later, i was thinking about a game that you could do anything might be fun.

In 2003, I was in an electronic class and one of my classmates talked about this game called Earth and Beyond. So me and my two best friends joined it with him. We started that in October of 2003, had a lot of fun. Then in February/March 2004 EA announced the sunset of Earth and Beyond. Feeling bummed i figured my mmo carrier was over and i would just play till the server shut down and move on. In late march, i was playing Earth and Beyond, just kinda putting around. CCP had just announced there first trial for Earth and Beyond Refugees. My two best friends jumped ship to EVE. they tried to get me to join but i was a bit reluctant. The next as i played Earth and Beyond, one of my guild mates was in, we had a small conversation, he too had jumped to eve, or was in the process. He asked if i was coming, i said I’m not sure. He asked me what i liked to do in Earth and Beyond, and i said i enjoyed mining, and exploring. He then said something that would change my life forever, "Well you can do that and more in EVE, its kinda an open world game that lets you do what you want, and its space based’ That did it. Five minutes later i had downloaded eve and was trying it.

I’ll keep going because i like my own history…

At first i was running missions and was seriously bored. One of my best friends got isk form a guy leaving, so he was set for a bit. I was seriously thinking of quitting eve, when my former guild mate, now known as Danks, checked on me. I said i was thinking of leaving cause i was bored. he goes ‘have you tried mining yet?’ remembering i liked to mine in EnB. I said no, and he said "well moron, why don;t you try it?’ It was sort of a ‘duh’ moment for me. so i placed a miner on my kessie and went to a belt and whiten 5 min i was hooked. Yes mining hooked me on eve.

My trial ended a week later, and i ran down to the nearest Virgin Mega story and bought a cd copy of eve, thinking i could activate the trial with it… nope. So i made a second account transferred all my stuff to it and on April 1st 2004 DaReaper was born. I have played nearly every single day since.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Just looking for a sci-fi game to play. Spent a little time reading sci-fi game forums. EVE is one that was picked.

At the time, it was the cheapest well formed sci-fi game online. Had an growing player base, and an active community.

Fun game.

P.S. Had Jump clones. Love the transhuman feel to it had. Like a John Varley novel. Loved “The Eight World” stories.

2 Likes

That is pretty funny.

3 Likes

Played ‘Nexus: The Jupiter Incident’ around 2008ish… Was fun, but it was just another game on rails that was a 1 time experience. Saw Eve trailer for ‘Apocrypha’ in late 2009. Bought it that day (hard copy FTW) from Best Buy on my birthday, which became my first main’s birthday… who I would do nearly anything to get back from the player I sold him to, even stripped to 5m.

:disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

lol @ Ralph KG

I was playing Homeworld back in those days and Independance War, so didn’t take to much for Eve to attract my attention. Have been playing 03-05 then got my first kiddy made a breake for couple of years and returned back.

2 Likes

ITTigerClawIK it’s all his fault lol

i had been playing a game called star trek bridge commander with a few friends and tiggy dragged me in kicking and screaming, first time it didn’t stick, but second time, yup, i got it, and i was hooked.

still have fond memories of my little punisher sitting beside his apoc and me saying i’m gonna build me one of them puppies, and i did.

so blame tiggy, it’s all his fault :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I spent my teenage years playing Elite, Freelancer and Wing Commander; so naturally I came for the spaceships, I stayed for the drama and tears.

4 Likes

Ah yes, Dust 514. It’s not often you get to meet someone who was introduced to Eve from its first-person shooter equivalent. o7

1 Like

Yeah, that sounds like Eve Online. XD

2 Likes

It was a nice day, I was out for a walk when a van suddenly skidded to a halt beside me. Two guys jumped out and yelled at me in some strange language, I later learnt that it was Icelandic. Anywho they grabbed me and threw me into the van, where I received quite a beating. I must have blacked out cause next I woke up chained infront of a desk with a PC, in broken English they demanded that I play a game that they had done.

Plz send help I don’t want to play anymore, they just feed me rotten shark…

5 Likes