What currently is a PoS useful for in 2022? Is r&d or industry better in a station vs. PoS structures?

I’m wondering if there’s any benefits to performing industry, research, or doing anything a PoS can do vs. a normal station.

POS are no longer functioning structures as far as industry is concerned. I think you can still online a tower with forcefield to use as a staging point for PVP purposes but that’s about it. Afaik what remains of POS are due to be removed from the game any time now.

Citadels (Astrahus, Raitaru, Athanor etc) have replaced POS for all intents and purposes.

2 Likes

Makes sense, I did not think POSes would stand in 2022 anymore.

These days a POS tower is a temporary staging point for a pvp activity such as a wormhole eviction.
All industry activities are better off being done in a citadel

1 Like

The primary advantage of a POS is to shelter you while you have a red timer on you.

For example, it’s common in null and wh space for orcas and porps to be aligned to a POS while boosting. If you feel it’s time to get off grid … fast … you fleet warp to the POS and you’re save. An athenor, which provides better reprocessing, will not tether you or allow you to dock until the red timer from the mining foreman burst is over. A POS forcefield, on the other hand, will shelter you nevertheless. For the Porp to be able to instawarp out of alignment w/o slowly but certainly “aligning away” from the rocks, you usually web it with your barges, which results in the barges committing offfensive actions, and therefore becoming unable to tether, too. Just like the command ship, though, they can enter a forcefield nevertheless (unlike the command ship, the barges are usually not instawarp able as they move too slow when they anchor on the webbed command ship … but they’re cheap)

I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s being said that you can crab a whale in a POS to become able to compress ice or moon goo while being un-gank-able inside the force field.

3 Likes

interesting, could you also do it within range of the POSes guns for extra safety whilst compressing gas

A bit late but google brought me here. I don’t think POS are going anywhere. People have been saying any day now for years. I still use POS for my pi wormhole. It’s guns shoot automatically and I can rep the shields if needed. Honestly I prefer POS over the citadels for what I do. People usually don’t bother to check for em either.

7 Likes
  1. POS’s are not going anywhere. CCP has stated several times they don’t understand the POS code and it seems to interact with things it really shouldn’t. Every time they mess with it, bad things happen.

2. I’m pretty sure that you can no longer do industry in POS modules.

I’ve been gone a minute, can someone confirm that?

2 Likes

POS no longer have any industrial purpose. The assembly arrays, labs, etc… were removed from the game years ago. The towers remain - not sure if this is because the code is so tangled they can’t remove them or because they haven’t got around to designing a FLEX structure to serve as a forward operating base for PVP.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was not sure if that was the case or not. I was gone when that happened.

Pretty sure there is no one left at CCP that understands the POS code. I dont think they will ever be removed. My guess is at some point they will remove all the BPO’s and BPC’s from the game and let them die a slow, quiet death

1 Like

Hi well I found a wh wich I would like to do pi on any one know is it better to set a pos or a structure…… just me and my 3 alt in a c1 :v:

for PI just use a small POS, dont even bother putting guns on it as i doubt anyone will ever bother it

I say put guns on it. Guns, a hardener or two, and storage. Now you got guns that shoot far as hell if people try to camp you and a extremely tanky shield.

1 Like

Sorry but this is not true.

I have a private POS running and do all my BPO Research, BPC Copying, Component Production and Ship Building there perfectly fine.

True is, that a) Reactors and Moon Mining Arrays do not work any more and b) you cannot get Materal- or Time-Boni on a POS, like you can get from a Citadel and it’s rigs. So if you have access to a rigged citadel for reasonable fees you can produce faster and cheaper there.

On the other hand, Citadels are big loot pinatas and they attract people who would really like to grab all your valuable stuff, or just the core, since you cannot unanchor it in time. A rigged and equipped Citadel is quite costly and in most cases you will lose it and all the stuff on it if someone comes to take it out. Unless you have the backup of a big corp or alliance.

With a private POS in HighSec however is really cheap, you can do all basic industry stuff and no one cares to wardec you - and even if, you can unanchor your entire POS in less than an hour, so they will not get any loot at all so you can simply blueball them.

4 Likes

Thank you for correcting me! I was so sure they had removed the labs and arrays when they removed the bonuses, I never checked the market to see … I spent years working out of a small POS and miss the flexibility it offered as a solo industrialist. I’ll be building a new one!

2 Likes

I used to have a pos in highsec years ago, but I can’t remember the ins and outs anymore.

• Isn’t it true that you don’t need to keep your BPO’s in the pos but just in a station in the system?
  • Do you set short term jobs? so that if you have to take it down you don’t lose that much material?

That doesn’t work any more. You have to put the BPOs into the POS laboratory for research, so they are at risk if you fail to get them out before the POS is reinforced. It is absolutely mandatory to check your EvE-notifications at least once a day if you want to be safe, so you can stop the jobs and unachor your POS in case of a wardec.

With BPO research it is not always possible to do short term jobs, especially if you want to bring ME and PE to max. The last levels often need a month (or more) of research time. However, you do not lose any materals, just the installation fee. Which is neglible compared to the BPO value.

For production I only use up to 5days of runtime, so not that much materal is lost.

All in all I would recommend two ways of running a private POS in highsec:

a) if you are completely solo:
Run a small POS with just the one production- or research-module you need. No weaponry, nothing. Chance is high that nobody will even care for it. especially if you avoid the most populated systems near to tradehubs.
It is very fuel-efficient and still gets your jobs done. And if you are wardecced, you have everything removed and put on a station in the system in a few minutes.

b) if you can field a bit of support from your alts and corp:
run a medium or large faction-tower with LOTs of annoying defense. dozens of jammers, lots of hardeners, tackle, neuts, damps, guns. It will need a fleet of at least 20+ ships minimum to even try to attack it (caps cannot be used in high) and several million eHP to grind through even if you can overcome the defenses somehow. And if a handful of your own ships show up, the attacker risks to lose everything that gets tackled. All that for not a single ISK of guaranteed drop, because if you empty the POS in time, the most he can get out of a 2-days grind of several hours each is a shiny killmail. No core, no loot. Which is the reason basically nobody will wardec you. Maybe the really big wardeccers if they cannot find any citadels to loot, but in that case you just remove the POS, which is still be done in like an hour.

4 Likes

I built my small POS and shortly thereafter realized that I was paying more in fuel cost each day than rent in the Azbel I had been using cost for a month! In addition, I was war eligible, a lot farther from markets and a lot less convenient place to work. I guess I remembered the “good old days” as a lot better than they really were. I don’t regret the experiment - it was fun to setup a POS again, but it’s not the right choice for my business - I’m back at the Azbel again.

2 Likes

Uh, I’m blasted - was totally sure all industry, research functionaltity was taken away.
I’ll have to check this out. thx Blood Ivy

POS uses 240 fuel a day - twice more that moon digging citadel