What do players want?

Thought of something else I want.

I want CCP to do all their communication via these forums (you know their own website).

I don’t want to have to scan reddit, twitter, facebook, slack or discord.

These official forums should be THE point of contact for all CCP staff.

11 Likes

While I’m sure that there will be loads of flippant responses to this comment, it did make me think … could this be used positively to aid player retention?

At the moment when you log in, on. a daily basis, you automatically get a certain amount of free skill points (via the Alpha/Omega Daily Rewards scheme). What I’m proposing isn’t that different.

Most people agree that EVE has a tough learning curve. Whilst lots of us love this (because getting past it is a real accomplishment), the flip side is that, for (some) newbies it’s so steep that, according to CCP, “90 percent of incoming players drop out after a week.”

So my suggestion is this…

If the amount of ISK in your wallet drops below below a certain level (or if you wanted a slightly more sophisticated metric, maybe your overall net worth) you get an smallinjection of cash, automatically, when you log in (as a form of basic income if you like¹) until either you earn back enough ISK to bring your cash levels and/or until your assets exceed a certain value.²

I’m not naive enough to think that this alone would be a panacea for the 90% drop out, but it might keep some people in the game who make a dumb rookie decision early on (and let’s face it, most of us, if we’re really honest, have been there at least once, haven’t we?), and then lose most of their wealth and can’t work out how to recover.

I know some might just say at this point that it’s a case of get smarter and HTFU, but what I’m actually thinking about here are the newbies. Saying this to hardened pilots is one thing (and might be harsh but fair, on a bunch of levels …) but I’m not sure that it’s appropriate to dismiss rookies with it, if we want the game to survive long term

:mouse:

1 . Not* enough to go and buy some kind of über kick ass blitzkrieg battleship, but something to help you build up your reserves and help you recover (if you’ve lost a bunch of stuff) so that you don’t end up rage-quitting.*

2 . As to what this level should be, I’m pretty open minded. I was thinking along the lines of 1B ISK, in terms of overall wealth (eg: cash in the bank, ships, ore, BPOs, possessions, etc), but I’m more than happy to be guided by others on what it should be.*<?small>

3 . There is some evidence to suggest that the act of giving cash to people, in a counterintuitive way actually stimulates the economy and makes it stronger. Short article: A $1,000 per month cash handout would grow the economy by $2.5 trillion. Full report: Modeling the Macroeconomic Effects of a Universal Basic Income*

4 Likes

It’s an interesting concept

Thank you for your contribution

1 Like

Does that mean I get my isk now? I can’t train anymore new skills because I’m a poor spacedude and missions can’t keep up with my spending.
In another thread I’m told to get a Vigil with target painter and visit Pochven. I need that Vigil, man!

Possibly not … < laughing >

Hmmm. You need to learn to live within your means young man. Or do more stuff that’s going to generate an income.

I just checked the market and there’s a Vigil for sale in Uemon VIII for 750,000 ISK. You cannot be so skint that you can’t afford this, surely?!

Uemon VIII. SecStatus 0.2, 15 jumps O.o
So I’m going to Uemon in my pod, spend nearly a third of my fortune only to get ganked and return empty-handed. That doesn’t sound like a good plan to me. Then what will I tell my aggressor when he asks “wtf were you doing in Low sec 16 days old?” ?
There’s one in Jita for 912,500.00. That’s my best bet. Still nearly a third of my fortune but at least I have better chance to get home in one piece.

1 Like

Fair point. I didn’t actually check the security status of where it was (and I should have done).

Jita sounds like a good plan.

1 Like

I forgot to say, Jita is only 4 jumps from my career agents’ station :wink:

1 Like

My own eve server!
So I can roll eve back to RMR. That’s “Red Moon Rising” for you newer players.
Man It was so dark badass and brutal in those days, Eve was life and I bet there isn’t a dev around at that time who would not attest to just how on it’s game Eve was back then.
If only people realised they already had the best game in the world , imagine what Eve would be now.
I don’t blame CCP for a lot of the mistakes that followed, It turns out it was us players that cried the loudest that did the most harm by forcing CCP down a dark path of our own making.
I wonder had we not been such whiney beeches how Eve would look now.

3 Likes

What do players want:

A game that works.
Portraits have been broken for nearly two weeks.
Disconnects 5 times in 4 hours.

Is CCP going out of business that they’re letting those issues go on without a single word to the community?

3 Likes

Twas a great time in Eve!

I started in 2003 and created this account in 2005 as an alt. Like the direction I went with this one better. I still remember the game before sovereignty could be claimed in null and when there was no Warp To Zero.

Ever notice that we never did get the third Installment of Revelations. Remember that it was supposed to have been three insatallments?

I played nightly up through Incursion in 2010, but the whole concept and execution of the Incursions seemed half-arsed. I left with the debacle that was Incarna in 2011. By the time Incarna came out, I was tired with null politics, the repeating cycles in wormholes, the nerfing of FW, etc. I would basically play level 4’s to brain drain after working 8 to 10 hours a day.

I’ve tried to come back a few times, but between CCP’s attempts to add content in a game they’ve always claim is based on “player-driven content” have kept me away.

2 Likes

You Sir are more bittervet than me.

Incursion was indeed the expansion that killed the game.

That wouldn’t be me then. But I’ll play along since I like the questions.

I wouldn’t know but I know what I want.
A X button for local and corp. panels.
The option to receive or block mail altogether without having to block sender.
Ability to view outside npc stations like player-owned stations have and actually see who’s out in space. Maybe even a scanning station in-station. The year is 24000something, I think we’d have that technology by then.
More npc attacks in ore belts. It’s way too quiet there. I almost fell asleep while mining yesterday.
More room for drones. I can’t believe that ships as big as football fields can’t carry more but 4 drones. And the skill to be able to launch 10 drones at once. Are we space empires or spacebums?
Make events more available to new players. I don’t want to loose a ship just for participating to one event. I’m not made of isk and it doesn’t grow on asteroids.

I wouldn’t know but what attracts me to EVE is mainly the PvE combat, manufacturing and exploration. The depth of the game and it’s learning curve. Nice graphics, good sound effects and the feeling that New Eden is a war zone where PvP occurs as a matter of fact.

You don’t want to know my thoughts, I guarantee you that.
Thanks for the thread. Take care now.

2 Likes

I just thought of another thing to add to the wish list that might be kinda cool (at least for corporation CEO’s)

The ability to send emails from outside the game into an internal corp mailing list (so that you could update your corp members from outside the game without the need to log on).

It’d be great if you could do this from an email client (outlook et al) but given the limitations of the in-game email system that might be pushing it, so how about an email client embedded into an EVE web page?

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback

Some great ideas

2 Likes

Great idea.

2 Likes

It did exist once. But they fluffed it as usual.

2 Likes

You already can send mails from the web, you just need to code a tool to use the ESI mail functions (EVE Swagger Interface) like https://evemail.fuzzwork.co.uk/ already did

CCP gave us the tools to do this if we actually wanted it, they aren’t going to maintain a website for it anymore though

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @Cypherous, something like that was definitely what I had in mind.

I’m not sure that it’s working properly though because when I just tried to send myself a message I got the error message < Error thrown. - error > (I also tried sending it to someone else too just in case the error was sending a message to yourself but I got the same error)

I did know about the EVE Swagger Interface for what it’s worth, but I’m just a graphic designer in RL. Whilst I totally respect the awesomeness of the abilities of people who can do this stuff, I’m not a coder so it just leaves me stumped I’m afraid.