What will it take to remove attributes and remaps from EVE Online? Are training speed multipliers the harbinger of their destruction?

I cared a lot about attributes and skill levels and getting new skills in my first couple of stints in eve. I decided to not care at all this current one. I don’t have any idea what my attributes are and I’m not going to change them. I’ll just train what I want to train and it takes as long as it takes.

That’s easier for me to do than a new player as I already have most core skills trained and can fly a lot of different things. But not caring about maximizing skill gain has made my enjoyment of the game go up a lot. Perhaps a change like this would be similarly beneficial to others… perhaps not. But it’s an interesting thought.

1 Like

You know they did this because there was a race condition where you could end up undocking in your pod next to your ship, right? The session change timer has a purpose. It’s not there to annoy you.

That’s the only thing it does. Recently I undocked in my carrier and warped to a gate thinking I was in a ceptor. And why did I do that? Because there was a sliver of session change timer left that prevented me from actually switching into the ceptor.

What you describe is hardly an issue. The timer after changing a ship was always enforced. Also the reintroduction of the 10 second timer before undocking from citadels was good thing. What was not enforced was the timer when you dock and
change a ship. In the past, you could dock, change ship and start undocking again. Now you need to wait 10 seconds after docking before you can change a ship. This is the annoying part. And this timer does not help with what you describe as an issue.

I assure you that doesn’t mitigate the resistance.

Do I participate in this risky venture or do I go for the sure thing and keep my training rate up? And if I choose risk then I need to physically travel to my swapping citadel and try to remember the right order to do things since I’m so out of practice. Lost my first set of +3’s that way at a time that I really couldn’t afford to lose them. Oh and I need to remember to swap back when I’m done (I almost forgot last night).

It gets even more “fun” if I have different sets. My hauler is now cross-trained into boosting. So she’s got a hauling set and a mining booster set. Some time next year she’ll need an incursion shield boosting set and maybe further down the road an armor boosting set. That’s a lot of citadels to keep fueled.

If implants went the way of the dodo I’d be very happy. Trading the attribute implants for training speed boost implants doesn’t really help me.

Fair point on that. Especially the last part made me give up completely on implants/hardwirings and change my opinion on the matter from “don’t remove them” to “I don’t care anymore, it’s just hassle, get rid of them”. I guess at some point CCP will find a way to allow more than one clone in a given structure to remove this inconvenience, too, when they remove implants and allow more hardwirings in your head as compensation.

1 Like

So, you didn’t notice that your interceptor took 20 seconds to align and warp, and then took a minute to get to the gate instead of 3 seconds? Drugs are bad, mkay?

2 Likes

And here I am, calling for a rewrite of the client and everyone just keeps telling me it would take to much time. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But they complain about…
Attributes
Implants
Character swapping
POS Cancer Code
Crappy corp/alliance management cancer code code
Lack of high-res textures
Lack of 64 but client
Gimped Mac/Linux clients
And the list just keeps on ticking… like a very large and annoying clock

1 Like

Not just time, money. It’s unlikely that they can justify that expense to their investors. Either way it’s a huge project and I think I heard that Hilmar’s talk at Vegas said something about those and Eve.

Time = Money. so they are one in the same to me. As you have to pay the developers to code stuff.

Now I’m going to break down my list of things and give what normally is the response from CCP from my view.

Attributes - The CCP response to the request and desire to remove attributes tends to be “Implants and Implant Market”. Now is this a coding issue or just a market issue. If it mostly just a market fear and they can add more noodles to the pot shouldn’t be that bad. But it would take time to adjust attributes.

Implants - Mostly covered in the above.

Character swapping - CCP has stated many times that this would require a large rework of the client code. Okay, so this one means lots of time…

POS Cancer Code - Who doesn’t like spaghetti? This tentacle beast is pretty much raping and ■■■■■■■ everyone over all day everyday. Wanna make Upwell structures work right? Well first we got to make sure the POS Cancer code doesn’t break. I don’t know if you remember the old static hanger? They removed it b/c it took a lot of Q/A hours and random stuff would break it. This Spaghetti Hentai monster probably takes up most of the Q/A every time CCP wants to patch anything (I’m assuming this as the code seems to involve everything).

Crappy corp/alliance management cancer code - Don’t know what your history with the corp roles and stuff. This baby is probably (IMO) the second worst beast in EVE.

Lack of high-res textures - People have been asking, don’t now why? Doesn’t eve look great as is. Plus I’m poor and can’t afford to upgrade anytime soon to a computer with a video card.

Lack of 64 bit client - CCP did something something something recently that the dev blog said they where closer to being able to go 64 bit…

Gimped Mac/Linux clients - Unless you got a PH.D. in “I know how to use my terminal”, the WINE config can be a nightmare - and things just like to act weird.

Walking in Station/Captain’s Quarters - CCP removed this finally https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/preparing-for-the-future-retirement-of-captains-quarters-twitch-integration/

Now how do you get a room full of stuffy suit wearing people to understand that New Eden needs to upgrade? You don’t, as most of them only care about $$$$$$$$.
But what you can do is present to them - Heres our desired road map, its going to take time, but as we work on it we will continue working on other projects related to the investment to keep making you $$$

TheGream’s road map for New Eden.

• Finish up the POS conversion to Upwell structure (pray that no hamsters die in the process)-
  • Do some voodoo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDkp7GysvbY to hide the Spaghetti Hentai Monster
  • Then start updating the many layers of EVE - The client, engine, corp/alliance etc. All of which will have to be worked on anyway at some point in time to keep it working and appealing.

Layer by layer, piece by piece. How do you eat an elephant? How do you make a cake?

Over all - I’ve learned to mostly not give a flying flock of squirrel nuts over it all. As long as I can log in and play when I want to play I’m happy for now. But, when my ability to play EVE dies due to differing development of my computer OS makers and New Eden, I’ll carry on and make sure to unsubscribe from New Eden - and no you can’t have my stuffs.

1 Like

+1 to that.

Hopefully this is the next thing on CCP’s refactoring schedule. I don’t mean just another fancy UI wrapper either, I mean a full on rip that stuff out and start again rewrite.

However if I am honest, I don’t think the CCP of today has the technical capability or the management balls to take this on.

1 Like

I see only people who want it easier be removing attributes. Is that a good thing to not have any consequences of your decisions? Planning is irrelevant, everything for elasticity and quick decision changes?

Then CCP boosts and nerfs everything with greater frequency, making you all pay for extractors.

Remaps for PLEX is what I call they will do.

That wouldn’t surprise me actually, especially since they split the PLEx down to be more granular.

Planning is irrelevant now that skill extraction exists. It is literally obsolete.

And again, the planning isn’t satisfying. I spent hundreds of hours planning builds for Diablo II and Path of Exile. I spent hundreds of hours planning decks for Magic the Gathering. The payoff was unique, fun, or efficient builds and decks that other people could appreciate. I shared and discussed those plans with thousands of people in person and on forums. It meaningfully added to gameplay and community.

The payoff for attribute planning in EVE is that you unlock a ship a day early or get 3 percent more damage a few hours before you’d normally have it. That’s not meaningful or rewarding gameplay. It has no clear effect on other players or the community as a whole. It’s busy work.

I would rather compromise and do the remaps for PLEX.

The OP doesn’t mention any real benefit to removing attributes, just simply that it isn’t something that he enjoys himself.

If you don’t enjoy it though, then the solution is simple though, set a balanced remap and run an empty clone. There are those that enjoy min maxing their skill plan, and risking higher tier implants to improve their sp/hour, and so I don’t see why there is any real benefit to removing it.

As a counter point, it would be good if attributes did affect certain aspects of gameplay much like pirate implant sets currently do as long as the remap system was revamped alongside.

In essence, there would be no real benefit to removing attributes or remaps which is possibly why CCP aren’t interested in wasting limited development resources on it.

Attribute implants and remaps add nothing to gameplay (and the implants are a deterrent to PVP for many) and there is plenty of other stuff in the LP stores that sell them. Set default training speed to 2.5x, refund everyone who has them installed or on the market and just remove attributes altogether, done.

There is pro’s and con’s to removing attributes and remap:

Removing the attribute system - CON’s:

• increase to SP learnig rate by a fair amount.
  1. Assuming optimized skill plan + remap + 5’s = 23.652M SP/year
  2. Assuming optimized skill plan + remap + no implants = 19.71M SP/year
  3. Assuming optimized skill plan + no remap + no implats = 15.768M SP/year
    *all scenarios are somwhere between those numbers, more or less

The benefits of implants, attribute and remap go well beyond “unlocking a ship a day earlier” or “getting 3 percent more damage a few hours before you’d normally have it”

• For older players, it help mitigate the prohibitif cost of skill injection after diminishing returns. However, since the brain goo is available, it is true that attribute feature is less relevant.

• the implants are tied closely to the market and LP farming. However, the attribute implants could easylli be transformed into a “+ training speed” as suggested by the widely known agressively unpleasant role playing character that is Chance Ravinne. “Torpedo delivery my ASS!”

Removing the attribute system - PRO’s:

• There is so many differents skill to train in game that removing the need some players may feel to max their training rate may entice reluctant player outside and engage into relations with other since the fear of loosing 1B ISK implant set no longer exist.

• the injector may alleviate the lost of min / maxing the attribute

I think the worst option would be to remove attributes, modify all attribute implants, adding small learning bonus only, and then pushing accelerators to NES store that would work like optimized training now with attributes is working.

There is this option that CCP would want to push more microtransactions when they can make more money by limping your training with these changes to then make you pay for faster training.

To me it sounds like the OP does not like remapping or planning their training? If you don’t like remapping, then just set your attributes equally and never look back?

But wait, in the back of your mind you are thinking someone is getting more than you because you are too lazy to plan or remap. What to do… What to do…

2 Likes

i think you probably hit the nail on the head with the first but let me fix that for you too

1. It’s too much work.

fixed.