Why are the forums so dead?

While I won’t deny it could be better the forums seem alive to me.

What are you comparing it to?

Reddit seems hype-based and while posts there can get a lot more attention, the attention for a thread also rapidly dies equally quick. Unlike the forum it does not seem suited for longer discussions or persistent threads.

And Discord… is not searchable from the internet and just a mess of people talking through each other whenever I tried, and is even more short-lasting communication than reddit. I’m disappointed so many game companies, FC included, moved their communication there.

These forums seem OK to me, it has plenty of topics, questions and people putting in effort to talk with you if you make a thread, like this one. You got 20 responses already on your question! I wouldn’t expect that from a dead forum.

Sure, the forum could be better; we could have less AI posts, fewer people abusing multiple forum alts, FC could interact more here… but it’s not too bad. I’ve seen forums in a worse state than this one!

5 Likes

A Reddit discussion is mostly some boomer posts a hot take, and asks everyone to rate their screenshot or whatever. Then everyone responds trying to farm for upvotes or downvotes, depending on their preference.

4 Likes

There are 45 different categories to post in, with a niche game with a tiny playerbase.

Just another braindead CCP thing

1 Like

After a few people have given their reasons you now blame it on the weather and just ignore those reasons?

I mean that could be a viewpoint if it was the second post of this thread, but not in the middle of the discussion of reasons explicitly given. The weather outside was not among those as far as i have read…

Not a CCP thing, it’s common best practice on forums to have multiple categories to post in.

1 Like

I think it is mainly because the information isn’t well structurized, like it is on “normal” tree-structured forums.
This discourse thing, or whatever is called, promoting dumbed down one-dimensional news-feed design, expecting readers will be reading what’s on the first line and not in the deeps.
This is the global process of dumbidization of our civilization, I’m afraid.
I personally having a hard time on finding proper topic to post sometimes because they formulated too vague and abstract and generalized.
When you have simple and structured “tree” - it is easy to “upload” whole thing into your mind’s RAM and navigate just by thought.

I’d say I hope that CCP will change it some other time, but for that they need a proper leader who will bend the laws of our existence and question the very gist of things. Clarity is wanted.

1 Like

That’s great. I wish more users were aware of the existence of different categories.

1 Like

they tried to make some threads like reddit… it was not a good look

1 Like

Where did I say that PA? You are reading into that something I didn’t write, I am saying; it is like the whole group has a laundry list saved on their PC they keep hitting CTRL+C then CTRL+V. Sometimes when I am not here, I am elsewhere doing other stuff.

Do you actually want to be glued in a chair chained to the PC? I doubt it. I had my treatment yesterday, after 4 hours stuck to a machine, do you find it amazing I would want to be outside?

Point of fact here, I was outside today in my power chair watching the seagulls at the park. I came home took a nap, then I was checking my Facebook and notice the EVE notification ( aka The Old Bat Signal ) on my browser. You brought me here. How dare you!
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I am not playing here today, I am about to get on PVP Luxon Alliance battles.

Have fun!

Dead compared to years back, these forums were popping, but this was a long time ago. At least a decade. I liked the old forums better.

1 Like

This, I believe, the main cause of new players very quickly abandoning these forums.

There’s a bunch of people, most of them calling themselves “Guidance Counsellors”, who basically do nothing but abuse anyone with an idea that doesn’t fit within the Counsellor’s idea of what is right

3 Likes

lol…

And don’t forget the ‘Eve is only PvP’ crowd as well…

Demon DMC
:sign_of_the_horns:

2 Likes

That’s a title automatically applied by the forum system, once a user achieves a certain level of activity/interaction/accomplishments on the forum.

Do you really expect EVE players to hold your hand here? EVE forums can be viewed like a shark pool, in that users are pretty straightforward and call BS where they see it. Most of the time it’s nothing personal (unless you’re one of those who switch to their alts to start arguing for their POV and post endless AI nonsense), and you yourself might not have had the stamina to last.

Then again, some people get offended at anything and need constant hand-holding. You won’t get that on the forums.

If you remove the trolls and AI slop, the forums are pretty chill place actually. How long have you stuck around to arrive at those observations?

1 Like

The issue is the “activity/interaction/accomplishments” can be mostly trolling but the “Title” still gets awarded

3 Likes

If you’re comparing the forum activity to the pre-discord days I’m pretty sure I know the main cause.

And as long as discord exists this is unlikely to change. A lot of fleeting chatter happens there now.

Yeah, I don’t think that title is automatically applied by the forum… I think it’s more like the Veteran title in which the forum user can select it to be visible next to their name…

As for getting the option to select that title, it becomes available by earning the Badge ‘Guidance Counsellor’… That badge states ‘Have 10 replies marked as Solutions’…

So yeah, since we all know these forums are plagued by Alt characters, I’m pretty sure getting that title is rather easy for a main character to get…

Demon DMC
:smiling_face_with_horns:

The forums would be popping if the devs interacted daily (and in great numbers) with the community but they do not.

2 Likes

The more categories the better as then you can specifically choose not to be notified of new posts about certain subjects you are not interested in. Now only if people bothered to post in the correct category for their topic. :thinking:

That was pretty hilarious as it lasted for a shorter time than the Blackout update. :thinking:

:face_with_hand_over_mouth: :psyccp: :smiling_face_with_horns:

Apparently forum titles are trigger words to some insecure capsuleers. :eyes:

Of all the silly things people emotional outburst about this has to be one of the silliest. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Clear sign of fragile ego and jealousy. :blush:

:thinking: :popcorn: :ccpguard:

1 Like

As one of the two people here I’ve seen using that title I feel like this is aimed at me and/or Geo.

Could you show where we ‘abuse’ people who come with serious ideas? Generally I engage discussions in good faith and am helpful to people who ask for it, which is also how you could get that title.

I also like chatting and reading what people have to say so you’ll see me here often, and if someone is not coming with serious ideas but is degrading the forum with things like alt-spam (visible if you’ve been on the forums longer) or is posting AI slop (even more visible) I’m not afraid to point that out.

The title doesn’t get awarded for trolling though, so that alone should be a sign that people with such a title do more than what you call ‘trolling’.

If you think this title is rewarded unfairly through abuse of alts, please point out where you think this happened. Posting history is all public!

(For your information: Geo and I both already helped more than enough people to have the required amount of solutions for the title before the title even existed, as this is a very recent addition.)

3 Likes

My impression as well, and let me just say: you and Geo are frickin’ paragons of patience. I have seen both of you engage in constructive and civil discussions at length with posters I’ve simply rolled my eyes at and ignored. If anyone deserves the forum title “Guidance Counsellor,” it’s you two.

5 Likes