Why does High-Sec Exist?

Actually no a lot of .5s are actually closer to .4s in real raw numbers than youd believe. To raise or drop even a fraction of a .01 in sec status would put some .4s into .5s and vice versa very quickly. This would have a HUGE effect on shortcuts and travel issues regarding autopilot style computed routes or player driven routing given the ability to shift such changes.

Look at Dotlan and the real true sec of many systems bordering low, both in low and in high and youll see only a small change is needed to shift that number from low to high.

The main issue is gameability. In order to be able to shift it one way or another would mean a HUGE change in player concentrations and travel which I think CCP has already shown internally might not be good for actual gameplay. But I would still LOVE to see CCP change sec status dynamically within systems if they could. Making probable celestials outside of the “inner rings” of planets and orbital bodies where sec status goes into low or null sec areas while still being within a high sec system.

I would love to see this in .5s bordering low. Where a permanent suspect status reminds you you are now in the fringes of empire space and freely attackable by anyone, return to high and your status goes again to lawful citizen.

this is because of complete useless of ingame map

Why not inside the conception of removing high-secs completely [the conception which exists here on forum].

Oh Yeah.
I alredy see all the Tears and the Whinethreads…

1 Like

I would be up for this idea if it was applied gamewide, not just systems with 0.4+. For example, you farm too many rats in -0.7 it becomes more secure and its sec status raises while other systems that don’t have much farming in them go down.

It would be very interesting indeed if some of the HS space became LS, some LS became HS, some NS became LS etc. Maybe even some of the WH systems.

Anything that would cause a major shake up in empire space, both NPC and PC controlled would be awesome.

5 Likes

That would turn security status management into another N+1 game. “Get as many people as possible to do as much X as possible to achieve/enable Y objective” would be a lot more interesting if the organizations to play that game didn’t already exist.

t l d r b a i t . g i f

1 Like

Tbh an Empire based political game would mean more to this in the Machiavellian sense of the Eve game world allowing players to take part in Empire bound politics and influence trade, militarization, Concord influences and of course sec status of Empire and Empire influenced areas like those in low sec.

Id say something based on the lose ideals of Civilization with its political schemings and strata would do awesomely with a bit of RP flair based on each empires unique political lore stratas. Keeping citizens planet side happy will increase tax flows through PI and other planetary goods and give the players votes and seats on councils, senates and houses. Encouraging militarization and defense spending might increase Concords response to hostiles, commit more faction security forces, customs officers, etc and thereby raise sec status, or reduce spending might lower it.

I imagine an entire game built around the political natures of CAOD, Assembly hall and the role play areas of the game.

But alas a man can only dream and whisper those dreams into the night…

… for if to speak it it might die, as its so fragile…

2 Likes

ive played pvp games with skill lose, xp loss, and equipment loss on pvp realms. Imagine there not being a safety zone at all. unlike that game that doesn’t have killmails or even a player killcount, you can only exist on the pvp servers if you know someone in the oldest and strongest guilds to join them, if you don’t belong to one of those guilds, many times you can not even step outside of the spawn point. more than once has GMs had to intervene by summoning the strongest monsters in the middle of town to disperse the pvp campers that wont let neither new player nor recently deceased to leave the spawning temple.

the server would have a even smaller population than it does now because in EVE we kill things for the lolz and the killmails. we kill things simply because we go “hey I can kill that and be l33t pvper”. much like that other game you would have people camping the new spawns, there wouldn’t be a market to speak of and everything would cost much more.

2 Likes

Simple, an area for more casual play.

4 Likes

Forms part of the sector security scheme of EVE, where AI control cascades from HS to player control in Sov NS.

In many ways it creates more dynamics than its absence would.

Arguably, HS is more “lively” than NS, certainly more diverse, despite (or because of) the restrictions.

If HS didnt exist with its particular mechanic set, NS entities would militarily invade HS and, for lack of a better word, “flatten” it in terms of player/corp/activity topography.

What has always confused me, though, is how narrow a line LS is between HS and NS. If I could turn back time, Id have asked CCP to make LS wider, but its too late for that now.

2 Likes

In simplest terms without police, law and those who abide by them, you can’t have pirates.

Different space offers different experiences and opportunities.

2 Likes

If there is one thing I’ve never like about HS, its the massively uninterrupted transport of material within it, and to/from it,

This is not specifically a security issue, or an aggression mechanic issue, its more an issue of the sheer volume of that cargo transit, and how simple/safe/cheap it is past numerous thresholds.

Proof positive of this, imo, is in the ridiculously low cargo contract prices, and of Jita as an eclipsing megalithic trade hub.

I dont believe these are a result of competition.
I believe they are a result of associated mechanics.

2 Likes

Yet this very dynamic happens in the real world Salvos. Ports especially were built up this way and became huge trade hubs. In one era Babylon was such a hub, Rome as well, London, New York, they all have become huge hubs where supplies move in and out 24/7.

The reality is that humanity wants stability rather than anarchy and always moves away from anarchy rather than towards it and if it missteps it will always revert back to order and stability in order to facilitate trade.

So I tend to disagree seeing as CCP actually puts mechanics in place to help destruction and even these are most often circumvented by players creating more stability using the inherent mechanics in place.

Imo this very drive towards stability is the main cause of what a lot of players consider the death of pvp and gudfits, blue balling, blue donuts and that dreaded term “risk aversion.” Those players that stay, learn and grow in Eve learn to protect themselves and their own interests more and more until literally noone can shake or destroy it in many aspects. So I think its a human nature issue youre dealing with rather than bad game mechanics.:wink:

3 Likes

No such confluence of trade/traffic has occurred IRL except for Rome and its like.

What made Rome possible, was roads leading to it, and security transporting to and from it.

Jita is a result of a wide web of mechanics.
That players used those to create Jita as a megalithic hub that eclipses the combined trade of any number of other regions (let alone systems) , is secondary to that.

Yet this is exactly what Jita is Salvos. And minor hubs occur in all areas. Look at trains and railways in both europe and North America. The Seven Seas were the first railways and transport areas.

So Im not sure how you can disagree and then agree all at the same time.:thinking:

Jita is the main trade hub because it’s convenient, being fairly central geographically, close to popular mission hubs and a former mission hub itself, bordering 2 regions and 1 jump away from a 3rd. It’s also got more stations than most other systems, back in the day it used to have multiple lvl 4 agents, asteroid belts and 2 or 300 NPC production slots.

So yeah roads, just as the Romans built the roads that lead to Rome, here in Eve we built the “roads” that lead to Jita.

Before Jita there was Yulai, CCP remapped the stargate network removing the highways that all converged on Yulia, making it not as accessible, so the players chose Jita as a replacement. Some of what made Jita a good choice has been removed by CCP over the years, in order to optimise node performance.

2 Likes

Someone said earlier that hi-sec exists for those who want a more casual type of gameplay, and I agree with that. I’m not interested in the drama and adrenaline of lo-sec and 0.0 space. Real life is dangerous and stressful enough. I play computer games to relax.

I went to a 0.4 system today, hoping to do some mining, but really powerful rats were in every asteroid belt. There is no way my little frigate could survive. I went back to 0.6 space.

Lo-sec and 0.0 space are fun for a lot of people, but not for me.

7 Likes

wtf does everyone hate jita being such a large hub? CCP didn’t make Jita a hub, you people that hate it so much did.

Also Transporting is risky as hell if your not fast enough . if you don’t like the transport lines going, gank them.

3 Likes

But of all the highsec activities, the transport of goods is easiest to disrupt, as there’s a few bottlenecks you can lay in wait & the ability to scan cargoholds to pick the best targets if required.
To do it in a meaningful way it does require a serious effort when you want to target Jita shipping, simply because it is a bit too late for it, as it has become so huge it is able to sustain it’s trading likely for years, even with continious ganking fo haulers & in such situation, surrounding systems would turn to act as backup Jita trade hubs (you can already see this in effect sometimes, like Perimeter during a ‘Burn Jita’ occurrence.

Much easier to disrupt non-Jita tradehub shipping really, but that would only strengthen Jita as a hub. Currently, Jita is simply too big to fall, unless considerable effort is spend on it & the few organisations who can do such effort likely wont as it could lead to unforeseen consequences if Jita trading ever shifts in a meaningful long term way.

To promote other tradehubs then Jita, effort has to be placed & due to Jita’s scale in trade volume, it requires massive effort to even shift over a small part of its trade volume to other possible hubs.

I love Jita as it is and I don’t see a lot of hate from people, aside from local chat (which is easy to close for anyone that doesn’t want to look at it) and just a few people that complain about it’s influence on trade.

It always feels really alive, which aside from being a good place to find anything, is just a good atmosphere.

3 Likes