Why does High-Sec Exist?

Jump Freighters don’t give a f… If you lose a JF in high sec, you failed miserably. Personally I’d like to see cynos forbidden in high sec to force traditional hauling.

I don’t like it, because with one dominant market, industry becomes completely dependent on the hub. There aren’t many good reasons to set up your high sec operation anywhere other than the forge. Players don’t spread out. What is the point of all the high sec regions if players only use two or three?

I used to think that trade was the only read that high sec players didn’t spread out in high sec. I now think it’s only part of the issue. I think the bigger issue is there is very little reason to immerse yourself in a particular NPC corporation or faction storyline. Currently a mission is just a mission and as long as you do enough to unlock a benefit you’re happy. Seriously, how many people besides the truly OCD standings grinders have worked up Ammatar?

1 Like

All of highsec is already cyno jammed by the Empires, so what you’re asking for here, already exists.

2 Likes

Agree that there could be more connections from the missions.

I’d also note that HS is pivotal for the economy. That is many NS entities look at it as an almost neutral area where they can trade with their rivals as well as HS players.

This is not to say that something might not emerge if HS were removed, but it probably would not be as…productive in that resources would likely go towards keeping such trade hubs going meaning there would be less to trade. That is, with HS we have more stuff. And as we have more stuff I wouldn’t be surprised if players are less concerned with some of that stuff blows up. That is if I have a cache of 10 PvP ships and 1 blows up, I’m less concerned than if I had 2 such ships.

1 Like

You are quite correct to note that Jita “emerged” from the game environment.

However, I don’t know if there is much hate. You get the oddball here and there of the forums claiming it is a cancer (they probably go there alot too and like the one-stop-shopping which makes it hilarious). The forums are not a good source of average player sentiment as the average player probably doesn’t even know the forums exists. :stuck_out_tongue:

I doubt it. Take away that hub and suddenly people stop doing industry? If anything the reduction in competition, at least temporarily, might increase price differentials and change people’s behavior to lead to more industry to take advantage of the sudden profit opportunity.

Other than the systems cost modifiers. Setting up in LS with the appropriate ships and logistics is actually quite favorable to reducing actual production costs.

Players pursue different strategies. Some will spread out, others won’t. That’s totally fine in this game. This is a game where heterogeneous players each pursue their own strategies based on an inductive process of strategy selection. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I always find this view point amusing. It basically amounts to: people aren’t playing in the sandbox like I’d want them too…sorry but that is exactly the point of this game. You don’t have to play in some pre-determined optimal way. You are free to try out new strategies and see what works.

2 Likes

It exists so I can have fun suicide ganking empty freighters

1 Like

Jita also has special rules that no other system in EVE has.

Its an abomination of the game environment.

NS has vast vested interest in Jita, and the surrounding manufacture systems.
It simplifies where they trade, instead of trading with each other or at other trade hubs.

Looking at the economic report EvE exists because of high sec. Report also shows that Higs Sec should actually be called High Risk instead :roll_eyes:

What ones?

You are nor aware of special rules for Jita?

Do your own homework.

There aren’t any Jita only game rules that I am aware of. There are trade hub specific rules that apply not only to Jita (so not special rules only forJita).

Jita was modified to remove asteroid belts and mission agents, but the rules are the same in Jita as they are for the other trade hubs (eg. Can’t anchor POS or Citadels).

But I’m always looking to learn, especially when it comes to special rules.

That you are unaware is not my problem.

That you claim there are special rules and can’t back that up, is just another lie of Salvos.

3 Likes

I can back it up, Im just following your “selective” behavior and choosing not to do so for you.

Do your own homework or pay me.

What rules would those be?

And Amarr, although Goons are doing a great job being less dependent on that and doing so on their own not via Dev fiat.

Maybe not be such a disagreeable ass on this. Yes I know that Jita is usually reinforced…but was that a cause of the Jita being a trade up or a result? Jita also lost its agents, and much if not all of its manufacturing capabilities, again was that a cause or result.

In short, these rules may not mean what you implied. They might be a result of emergence and spontaneous order as well.

Salvos, are you stuck in perpetual defense mode? Stop…

Yes, Jita is treated differently, but why? When were these rules implemented? That is a key part of this discussion…if you want to have a discussion. If you just want to be an argumentative boobie…then just stop posting.

Correct, for starters.

It is also not possible to place POS/Citadels in Jita, as the only system in game with this restriction.

Yes I know. My point is…are these rules causal or are they symptomatic? That is were these rules put in place prior to Jita becoming a trade hub or after? If after then it is likely these “special rules” are as emergent as Jita being a trade hub.

Saying something is bad because of emergence and spontaneous order in a game that is designed to foster emergence and spontaneous order is like complaining water is wet.

Wrong.

I believe Scipio is correct. I don’t think you place citadels/POS in any trade hub system.

Still, my question is different.

Do these rules predate a system becoming a trade hub or not? My guess is largely “not”. Now if you have evidence that they do indeed predate these systems becoming trade hubs, please share so that we can all learn.

1 Like