Why Eve is not a PvP game

It may not be profitable to sit at gates catching insta aligning frigates, which is why you don’t see it happen often. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

the fact is with a fast frigate , interceptor , t3 destroyer , you are near 100% gate camp immune except in null , because of bubbles and smart bombs , i travel from arzad to jita with a bil in my lil ship cargo and no worries in my mind

Then what are you suggesting to haul valuable BPOs through high sec?

Except they don’t insta warp and can be decloaked and caught. On the positive side, those T3Cs won’t die as easily to smartbombers.

I can’t even fly T3Cs at all, but I do know that cloaky ships get decloaked and caught regularly, especially when they’re not instantly aligning.

We’re still talking about ‘theoretically impossible to kill ships’ right? Cloaky ships do get caught sometimes and can be killed by a good group even if they’re not just ‘floating at a gate’.

Same thing.

We’re not talking about profitable ganks here. If someone wants to use their bling Loki to kill your ‘unkillable ship’ then your unkillable ship can be ganked.

Me too, pointless discussion.

Wow, you have a far too high opinion of yourself, of your humour and your brains.

1 Like

Can exclusively do PvE in EVE without ever worrying about the possibility of other players?

You are excluding the possibility of being attacked by other players while mining…or having what your mining be out-mined by another player…or being bumped-off a rock…or having your hauler ganked…etc etc etc…In a SP game none of those can happen because it’s exclusively PvE.

You keep mixing the immediate action for environment and this is wrong. The PvP/PvE definitions are about who you are competing against, not what you are doing. Mining in X4 and mining in EVE are mechanically the same thing…but one is PvP and the other is PvE.

If you Google “difference between pvp and pve” you’ll see exactly what we’re talking about…

CS2 online (match play) is PvP…exactly the same game but offline using trainer bots becomes PvE. It’s not the activity, it’s who you are playing against.

I see. So now we’re moving the goalposts from “some ships are too well tanked to be gankable” to “some ships are fast enough that if you don’t web them you can’t pin them in place long enough for your fleet to arrive if they aren’t in position already”. My expectations of dishonesty from you are certainly met.

It’s only people like you I don’t get on with

IOW, “everyone is welcome in EVE, except people I don’t like”. You are such a pathetic hypocrite.

1 Like

Wierd how all the folk he backs up vanish when he starts to argue black is white.

1 Like

Two weeks in and we have to get out the chalk and crayons to explain the dissenting view that there’s more to eve than ganking covetors or shooting freighters on the perimeter gate.

Its not that hard a concept really. There’s more to Eve then just equating each interaction to the next cheap gank.

THis is the part where you start hurling insults …go:

1 Like

Indeed there is and most of it is PvP in one form or another.

PvP being defined by Richard Bartle as “Player(s) Versus Player(s) (PvP). Players are opposed by other players in a game. In a combat situation, this means PCs can fight each other.”

Opposition being the primary component of PvP, and combat situation being used as an example of PvP; not the sole form of it.

For those unfamiliar with Richard Bartle, he’s one of the men responsible for the first MUD and has authored several books on the subject of virtual worlds, one of which is commonly regarded in the industry as the “bible of MMO design”.

1 Like

Usual differentiator doesn’t mean the only differentiator.

What is proper PvP?

You do realize that siting in station and chatting is all that is needed to scam people? I believe this qualifies as pvp…

You mean like the “chalk and crayons” jab in your first sentence?

2 Likes

Yeah it isn’t that hard, yet you still don’t get it. It’s perfectly fine to have PvE activities in a PvP game.

Look at it this way: All PvE activities are in the end just part of the overall multiplayer sandbox PvP cycle. They are part of the landscape that fuel the conflict and give it meaning. It’s important that we have it, but it isn’t a isolated playstyle on it’s own.

Where do I hurl insults? Looks like that is your specialty

1 Like