Why Eve is not a PvP game

“EVE is not a PvP game” is a hell of a first strike.

To answer all of that at once: Fair enough, you are perfectly right that at some point, when you reach “Veteran” state, all of that financial concern became pretty trivial in both games.

The thing is, I clearly believe that the point where it does became trivial happen much, much sooner in WoW.

I’m not into industry so I have no clue about BPOs, but in any case you can buy the final product.

Well, because the “core” of the gameplay is mostly “how do you reach the end-game”, and the “best” items are parts of it. Now of course, once in the game, players can go different roads. But not wanting to focus yourself on the main goal doesn’t stop it from being the original main goal, and therefore the “core”.

Well it comes back to which one are more impactful on the gameplay. I won’t deny that it is influenced by my point of view, just like your own arguments are influenced by yours. Sorry to not be a robot, it might be disappointing I guess.

I was more thinking about the industrial part myself, but yes, the PvE in the sense of missionning and ratting, would be unchanged. Tho, without a strong focus on adding some depth to this aspect of the game, I’m pretty sure their won’t be much players left. (But actually I have nothing against PvE and would love some more content in it myself)

Usually they have some sort of goal like building specific things that they would be the only ones to build because such games include this features. I see no equivalent in EvE.

1 Like

Nope. Mining/industry/etc (which you are falsely considering PvE when they are primarily PvP activities) would not be viable in the absence of PvP. With minimal destruction to drive demand there would be vast amounts of excess production and the economy would cease to function. You’d still be able to mine rocks and turn them into ships but there wouldn’t be anything to do with those ships anymore. Instead of a complicated and interesting player-driven economy industry would be nothing more than a meaningless marker of how many hours you have spent with active mining lasers. IOW, there would be no further reason to engage in those activities.

(Though, to be fair, combat PvE would still be possible but with no economy left to make you care about ISK hardly anyone would bother with such boring things and CCP would very quickly go bankrupt.)

1 Like

You say that as if being an RTS is somehow mutually exclusive with pvp.

Is starcraft famous for it’s single player, or for the tournaments?

EVE is a pvp game. If you can’t handle that, best find a new game. And if you’re just going to argue semantics, that’s just pathetic.

3 Likes

Was this thread started because someone lost a ship while mining and immediately stomped down to the forums to complain?.
My thumb hurts and I cannot be bothered to scroll to the top to see.
The venture I killed because he kept bumping me into rocks would agree this is a PvP based game.

Character creation is PVP?

It’s a beautiful hierarchy with the PvP crowd on top and a bottom layer of hapless mindless farmers that willingly play the targets.

More like at the bottom of the PvP food chain. It’s also why we have to look down on them.

1 Like

No you have NOT,that’s just what political correct and diversity favoring people try to tell you.

There is no right to be unpolite to anybody…not even an imagined one…never.

That’s actually a basic freedom which to a great extent is protected in most democracies (in public places). Even in forums they don’t enforce politeness to a point…same goes for being juvenile…

2 Likes

Freedom has limits…everywhere…

Personal freedom ends where it disturbs the personal freedom of other people.

Of course…but one can be as rude as they want to be on public property and as long as they don’t cross a few lines (profanity, loudness, “tone”, etc) then no laws are broken…lots of grey there…

1 Like

But that’s no ‘right’…

That’s just…tolerated… :slight_smile:

There is no ‘right’ to be unpolite,as i stated… :slight_smile:

Then it would be illegal…which it’s not… :slight_smile:

FoS (within reason) is that right…

1 Like

Something that is tolerated is not illegal by definition…

And as ‘a right’ i would define something you are allowed to do by any means and not just because other people are tolerant enough to actually LET you do it without freaking out :slight_smile:

I know this is OT but this is actually interesting…please excuse folks…

Something that is tolerated is not illegal by definition

But then it can’t be enforced lawfully…first and foremost one must ask is something legal or illegal. Then then next question is if it’s illegal, is a laws enforced governing the action?

For example, if it’s illegal to play your music louder than 60db then at 58db one can’t be touched by the law nor is the music being tolerated.

The first half of that is correct. The second-half is irreverent as the state grants rights, not what people generally think at that moment. It would be a person’s right to play their music at 58db regardless of whether others are freaking out or not. Consideration of others fall under the “manners” or “politeness” issues that all this started with.

But this never was about “right or wrong” but rather your claim that nobody has the right to be impolite (post #171). “Right or wrong” is subjective…laws are objective; rarely do the two meet.

2 Likes

I think I need to bookmark some of these posts for when those posters get impolite.

3 Likes

Since this always gets a bit controversial I made a graph to show how the PvP food chain works in this PvP game and that the “PvE players” are indeed part of this overall PvP food chain. I hope that settles the argument once and for all.

10 Likes

LOL…ty for that…

:rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile: :laughing: :grin: :crazy_face:

You missed a bit!
huh

It would be theoretically possible to do so, but incredibly time consuming. Not only would the battleship BPO have to be purchased, but the BPOs of all the modules would have to be purchased. Likewise the BPOs of the ammunition. IIRC rigs need salvage to produce so that would have to be collected using a salvager the BPO of which would have to be purchased also. Any T2 stuff would open a huge can of worms.

I suspect that it would take another 17 years of playing EvE to do so. Of course all the mining and other activities would put the miner at great risk of pvp. Particularly where some minerals have to be mined.