Why everyone wants to switch to Caldari

As someone who audits others, I have bad news for you.

Some of the best and most profitable businesses (in the real world) are probably the LEAST ethical. In fact, many business models are based about obfuscating details, terms, and conditions to the point where no reasonable person can make an informed decision beyond “this looks nicer.”

The reason such businesses get away with it is because digging into this subject is so excruciatingly boring for the layman.

But I digress.

EVE is all about finding one’s niche in an open-ended system that will only provide the most basic of “safety” in a few small ways.

If you want to play ethically and morally, that is your prerogative and more power to you. :slight_smile:
But do not expect others to follow your lead or try to impose such restrictions on others unless you are willing to back that up with some decent firepower (in-game of course).

5 Likes

Only 61,398 more repetitions until you make one truth.

Second, why don’t you be honest with us about why you’re angry. Can’t promise you’ll gain any supporters or sympathy, but at least then when can have an honest discussion about what’s really bothering you.

The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced that you’re mad about selling plex to a low ball buy order in game. The involvement of real life money would explain why you keep bringing up business ethics. It would explain why you don’t think that how the game works is relevant to a discussion in which you propose game mechanic changes. And it would explain why you feel so strongly about this.

2 Likes

Why Everyone Wants to Switch to Caldari.

I thought this was about something going on in Caldari space. Was I missing on some good loot ? Easy mission or a bug…?

The entire game is about choices. That’s what a sandbox is supposed to be.
Most important about making choices is information. Gathering info and intel is part of the game’s PvP environment.

You are responsible for informing yourself.
There’s information online you can read until you go blind. There are millions’ worth of hours just on YT informing and showing you how exactly to fit your ship and how to obtain the modules you need.

Jita isn’t the only place to go. The list was given above.
The choice is yours whether to jump 20 gates to save isk or not. That’s part of the game. There is no conspiracy to swindle you. You make the choice, take the risks and reap the rewards if you’ve calculated rightly based on the info you took the effort to go get.

The consumer also has the responsibility to inform himself.
Take the time to learn the game. What goes on in your game window isn’t even a quarter of what really goes on in New Eden.

5 Likes

OP
Red-Sonja has just perfectly explained to you that you are wrong. And you know the best part of it? Red-Sonja is… a new player! yes! You can find some of his posts in this forum! And yet he does not complain and whine. He embraces the challenge…
Guess which one of you and him i would prefer to keep in the game?
PS: don’t talk about ethical business etc in a video game with piracy, betrayal, competition, ganking,…
What you showed here until now is that you don’t seem to be able to read, learn and improve from your mistakes…

4 Likes

This thread is interesting.

Some thoughts:
With all my alts, I tried 8 different starting systems in 4 different factions. But my very first month in New Eden I’ve spent more or less entirely in Sinq Laison and Everyshore, and I must say that was newbro’s heaven. Dodixie was around the corner, all contracts I accepted there were perfectly honest (not cheap, but I was able to afford as a newbro, so OK), the regular blinkies in Dodi became kind of normal for me as I was happy to recocgnize people here and there, I never whitnessed ganking, and I’ve lost only one MTU in space and some ships in Lowsec. This is kind of different to Jita: Scams everywhere, Code around the corner, empty asteroid belts, no ratting sites - that’s not my favorite corner of new Eden.
After a while I had some doubts similar to yours why the hek (pun intended) there is no global market list. I did some research, and found https://evemarketer.com, as already mentioned a handy tool for market management in New Eden.

Business is not only prices. Time and risk is also money; I have to decide if the time I need to travel to Jita is worth the hassle. Most times I’m happy to pay some additional ISK if I find it in Hek or Dodi, and don’t have to cross Uedama.
There’s no perfect market, and no remote market anyway. Everything has to be transported, and can be lost on the way.

So to answer your initial headline: I do not recommend to start in Caldari space when you are new and naive, because competition is hard there. But of course after a while and much learning, you can enjoy the pros of Jita avoiding the cons.

2 Likes

Been reading about EVE for over a year now. Everything I can get my hands on - thanks for the link - and watching vids, dev blogs and patch updates… I knew I wanted to be Amarr from the get go. My choices resulted in a race that was once enslaved by the empire and was easily integrated into Amarr society. Sounded good to me.
I thought about Minmatar. They have a nice assortment of ships and modules as well. I’ll leave that for an alt.
Gallente and Caldari aren’t so much interesting to me. Can’t put my finger on why yet.

Too bad can’t be Jovian :cry:

Amarr is cool, fighting Dagan in a Dragoon was a particular experience, and poking around in a Retribution or Succubus is fun! Lasers and shiny golden ships, they definitely have style :wink:

So OP, you see, it’s not all about money. In the end it’s about fun.

2 Likes

That’s why it’s called a game :smiley:
But there’re always those fearful greedy hoarders…

1 Like

You are partly right, snake oil salesman is a good example. The regulator will look at one issue. Could a consumer reasonably conclude the missing information within a reasonable amount of examination time? If details are too hidden the company can be charged with trying to obfuscate. Or be accused to taking advantage of common cognitive fallacies such as FOMO.

sigh

OP… the impression I am getting is that you are one of those who expects all the information and guides on how to play a game be inside of the game itself.
And that the mechanics will operate similar to what other games have (see: it is predictable and won’t let you make mistakes).

If you wish to stick with the game, my suggestion is to basically forget everything you know from previous games and abandon any preconcieved notions about how you think things work (or should work).

There is a lot more I can say, but I will leave you with this:

The game is not deceiving you. It is also not hiding any information.
There is no slight of hand or smoke or mirrors.
The game is not stopping you from accessing things.
The game is not trying to convince you of something or sell you anything.

It is simply a world that you log in and be. Nothing more or less.

It is up to the player to be curious enough to seek out information both in-game and outside of the game to be more effective and efficient.
It is up to the player to learn the user interface (which arguably isn’t the most sexy UI out there) and how to manage themselves.

Hahahahaha… dude… I have some REALLY bad news for you:
Unless there is an actual bodycount or money disappears without a signature, regulators don’t care.
Point to any industry or business and I will point out where fraud occurs with impunity. :joy:

4 Likes

Luckily, we don’t have a space court to lodge a claim with against other characters.

5 Likes

I don’t know if the term is still used, but you are a classic example of what we used to call a barrack-room lawyer. Come back when you find a real lawyer willing to take your case…

5 Likes

You don’t have to conclude or guess at anything, the in-game chat is there for us to ask anything we want to know about. The information is there for the asking. Many veteran players don’t have a problem helping out new players and corporations are basically begging to teach you the game.
There is NO missing information but for the fact that CCP is not letting the players in on their intent for the general direction they want to take the game to.

Companies are often accused of things hardly anyone can prove but a mole or an ex employee with a grievance and you’re talking about hidden details and obfuscation. Good luck making any of that stick.

If you feel so cheated that you make a thread talking about charging devs and such - the idea is so funny tho - maybe you should give me your stuff and uninstall the game.

2 Likes

I wonder how you gonna react to all the scams in EVE, which base on victims too lazy to accurately read even the basic features of a contract.

Read and learn, all data is available, decades of scamming and whining formed a quite secure and reliable market. BTW the PvP rules also apply on market: Don’t invest money you can’t afford to lose, and if an offer looks to good to be true, it most probably just isn’t.

4 Likes

oh this is the same OP from the “spent 200$ on skills” post, that explains alot.

5 Likes

I played for years before I first ever went to Jita. Any race can do any faction’s missions etc so if you want to live near Jita just fly there and live there. Also, there is a hidden “cost” to being near Jita. For many highsec dwellers that mine, mission, etc there will be more people harassing you, scamming, suspect baiting, suicide ganking, spamming mails, etc. You don’t need to ever go to Jita whatsoever and living away from Jita is likely a lot better choice.

4 Likes

I agree with you.
My character is two months old and never docked in Jita. I’m not planning on going to Jita, ever. There’s everything needed in Amarr or Kor-Azor and the prices don’t differ that much.

1 Like

I must say, whitnessing “Burning Jita” is a great experience. Huge ships attacked by a big orange ball of a hundred or more Dessies and killed within seconds - reacted by an even huger blue ball of Concord - that’s amazing!
There’s much fun in Jita, not only grief.

1 Like

Completely agree with you.

I’ve docked in Jita twice, maybe three times in total. Three characters and I’ve been playing about six years. The sole reason for going to Jita was that I was operating with Hek as my main market and for supplies (I do manufacturing) I’d started to out grow Hek. Hek’s alright in “bit of a backwater” sort of way.
Since moving to Amarr I’ve not needed to go to Jita - it is more than capable of supporting most people’s needs.

I can possibly see why Jita could be useful to someone quatermastering for a large Alliance where bulk and convenience is important, but even then I know there’s a lot operate through Amarr; which is more convenient for many Nul-sec areas.

The exception is traders operating on margins between Trade Hubs, where a Jita presence is useful, as is an Amarr agent, a Rens Agent and god help them, a Dodixie Agent (if you can haul him out of the flesh pits).

2 Likes

I remember the days CCP released music videos. One of them was titled “HTFU”. The golden years, now eve is all fuzzy and full of love~. Hugs all around, was an entertaining read :smiley:

1 Like