Why not CCP just cancel all High Sec area?

Yes, I did read that post. Thanks for bringing it up.
But don’t tell I’ll never be able to be the hunter in this game because I won’t believe you.

I’m not.

Also, I’m not averse to helping out materially to someone with potential (and do it quite often, in fact).

Ship replacement programs are very standard for most good PvP organizations. If you are contributing to the well-being and opportunities available to your group with your presence, the group covers your expenditures. It’s just common sense, really. Fighting someone else’s war using your own gear is fundamentally unfair.

That’s why I’m saying: don’t get hung up about the freebies. Material help is an incentive, and not something used to patronize you.

2 Likes

It’s not unfair if you’re in the corporation being attacked and it needs defending, is it ? Of course, if the corp. I join has that replacement program anyway then the issue is closed.

If that’s the EVE way then I won’t argue about it.

More or less settled, then.

If you have any questions or need help, don’t hesitate to make a new thread. Maybe in the Warfare & Tactics section? It’s very underutilized. You can also mail me directly in-game. Personally, I can answer most questions that deal with PvP stuff, and some that deal with advanced combat PvE like wormholes and Abyssal sites.

1 Like

I’m more saying that it’s not SP or the ship you fly that allows you to be the hunter. But experience.

By all indicators that guy thought he was going to be the hunter. But an experienced player might tell when an opponent is making things just a little too easy for them and it may infact be themselves that are being hunted.

What I’m trying to say is, learn the difference of who’s really hunting who whilst things are cheap.

2 Likes

Please don’t mind if I do. Every little bit of info is useful and thank you for the engaging/interesting posts !

Great piece of advice. Thank you.
That’s what I meant by not being ready “today”. There’s some basic stuff I need to know/learn before I do move to null.
I do realize that experience is crucial for learning PVP in EVE but I can get that experience anywhere, in hi, low or null, right? As you mentioned, I better experience when things are still cheap in relation to my skills / ISK.

High-sec: you’re generally safe unless you’re doing something dumb, like AFK-mining, or carrying a lot of stuff in a paper-thin hauler. If you’re a member of a “normal” high-sec corporation, you might get some incoming wars from merc corps. This can actually be a decent way to learn specific survival strategies (just don’t let the carebear attitudes of the other members rub off on you). You can also join such a merc group. If I were more active right now, and not alone, I’d invite you. But there are others. Look for one with low entry reqs. Another interesting thing you can try is flying around suspect-flagged. If you do it away from hubs where all the hardmen hang out, you might gets some bites from “normal” players.

Low-sec: generally…dead. There are chunks of low-sec space in which you might see just one or two players a day. PvP consists of either gate camps, or the occasional pirate hopping systems looking for someone to kill in a belt or a site. You can try being that pirate, I guess, but you’ll have to work hard just to find a viable target. It’s that dead. The plus side is that you can do mid-tier PvE to your satisfaction.

Null-sec: most of it is a blue doughnut, and you’ll be trapped and killed when you show up (as soon as they have the requisite 200 members “x up” for the defense fleet to kill your single Thorax). There are also NPC null-sec regions, which feel more like a more populated low-sec. Not a bad place to be (I keep a little outpost in Stain myself), but generally not great unless you’re a member of one of the local corporations/alliances.

Wormholes: very solo-friendly because of the delayed local. The flip side, as you can see in Daichi’s linked thread, is that they’re full of hardcore ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ that will ■■■■ your ■■■■ up. Of course, they’re also full of weekend tourists just there to run some sites or whatever. You can totally probe out wormholes, and run the exploration content in cheap T1 frigates. Maybe harvest some gas. On top of that, have some PvP ships on standby so that you can jump the people doing the exact same thing. At your current stage, you probably won’t be able to kill wormhole ratters alone, because the tanks required to do those sites are pretty hefty. I’d say that a nice PvP cruiser might be effective for trying to gank people in C1-C2 wormholes. You would be best served joining a wormhole group that owns a wormhole with static connections to other wormholes.

As I mentioned before, single-ship PvP is effectively dead. You need someone to help you tackle, or if you’re the tackler, someone else to bring the damage. Doing both at the same time, and being consistently successful, would be an outlier situation.

One bit of advice: if you want to focus on solo/small-gang activities, some races’ ships are better than others. Gallente is probably the top choice due to the emphasis on active armor tanking and massive DPS. Minmatar is a close second because of very strong active shield tanks, and alpha-strike artillery setups. Amarr and Caldari tie for third place, because of a general lack of utility mid slots. Also, Gallente and Minmatar synergize in their mutual requirements for two very PvP-friendly pirate ship lines.

2 Likes

Do you think it’s a good idea to incrementally move from hi to low then from low to null/wh while getting experience or is it better to chose one zone and stick with it ?

Doit6

No need.

Just look on the map, and filter for jumps. Find a low-sec area that barely has any traffic, and go there right now. There are clusters in Minmatar and Amarr space especially that have no players in them. Your only issue might be getting some stuff into the area, but with an alt to scout the gates, that shouldn’t be a problem. Think small - just a few frigates and cruisers, with a nice supply of ammo. You can do low-sec ratting for decent income in your first week, maybe some anomalies too.

Wormholes you can go into at any time. Just keep scanning and keep exploring.

In my opinion, avoid null-sec unless you’re joining a group. Maybe in a few months, the NPC regions will be a good opportunity, if you insist on continuing to play solo.

I still don’t know how long you’ve been playing, and how much SP you have and in what, so I’m just guessing at the first week stuff.

1 Like

I’m barely 10 days old, if that, and have about 700,000 skill points. So your guess is fairly good.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll get me a disposable cruiser and visit a few low-sec systems in Amarr space tomorrow.
I guess I don’t have to live in a zone to operate in that zone and with jump-clones it’s even more feasible.

The rules will differ from place to place.

In hisec you’ve got crimewatch which affects the circumstances of who can shoot who and why (and killrights). Gate camps look a little different because of concord and using local and d-scan is different because of neutrals.

In low sec crimewatch works a little different (and kill rights with it). Gate camps are different, so avoiding them is slightly different. Lack of neutrals makes combat probes more useful (and thus having them on your d-scan is useful). Low sec also has cyno’s mechanics and hot dropping. You’ve got faction warfare mechanics like plexes which restrict ship types (and cynos).

Nullsec has bubbles, so gate camps are different again. No crimewatch or kill rights. You probably can’t dock unless you’re in npc null. Cyno mechanics like low-sec. Null recently got ‘storms’

Wormholes has no local. No cynos. No crimewatch. It still has bubbles though. You almost definitely no where to dock. Some systems have an effect on your ship/module stats. Changing entrances and exits.

I personally recommend starting off in lowsec, preferably in faction warfare space. It’s the most intuitive form of pvp with the least ‘rules’ to remember. Even if you don’t join faction warfare itself, you can still use the plexes to manage encounters (fight enemies of a similar class. Easiest to avoid blobs/hot drops).

1 Like

Thanks for the info ! I’ll go visit some lowsec systems and see what kind of trouble I can get myself into…

I actually advise against FW, because it can hurt your standings in the long run.

Besides, these days FW is all about the PvE grind, like everything else. But if you really want to give it a shot, hook up with someone like @tutucox_Khamsi, who knows the system much better than I do.

1 Like

No problem.

Don’t be afraid to ask people for feedback either. Whilst you may get the odd dick, the vast majority will be happy to tell you what you could have done differently or why things may not have gone as you expected. To some extent they are happy to share fits too.

I don’t think FW is in my immediate future but I’ll be sure to contact tutucox_Khamsi when I do plan on it.

As far as the standing is concerned, I may not pay much attention to that if I decide to go the pirate/ratter/ganker/mercenary route, which has been on my mind for some time now. I still have plenty of time to think about those options, though. Hell, I basically just started, lol.

Getting feedback from the person who blows me up is gonna be priceless :sweat_smile:

WH space is my favorite place for solo activities outside of hisec. You don’t need to be in an established corp to run sites and make some decent money. It’s a good place to practice keeping an eye on your scanner and making survival tactics second nature. If you don’t want to make the move to losec or null, then try wormholes.

1 Like

CCP just forced players to accept their new rules but created more interesting contents in game to attract players. CCP don’t like PVE so they forces players to fight. CCP hates high-sec players so they removes some high-sec systems. I cannot imagine what CCP will force players to do in future.Maybe some day your ship will explode automatically just because CCP want players to lose their ships.

1 Like