With out ganking, high sec would just be boring

I can find a barge in 2 clicks of my combat probes. Most are too lazy to even see them. Not boring or time consuming. But fun as hell when I work that scout to within 3k and drop on top of the target. :upside_down_face:

Can confirm, that is fun.

1 Like

@Iceacid_Frostpacker @Ax_l_Thorne How about mining with a barge while scanning down other mining barges? :thinking:

:smirk:

1 Like

Thatā€™s like, some Inception level ā– ā– ā– ā–  right there.

1 Like

I have played off and on for years. With my main Character I have never killed another player. BUT I have been killed hundreds of times. Some were devastating losses, and once or twice I quite literally asked for it. I was mining and I knew the gankers were in system, so I challenged them to see if they could get me before Concord got themā€¦they did. lol

But I would never change the game to eliminate ganking. It makes the game worth playing. Every single ISK I make is earned. I know I could have gotten blown to smithereens sneaking into that WH and huffin some gas. But man it was worth it. What a rush to warp out as soon as that Tengu showed up in the vicinity! Just recently I witnessed a failed suicide gank in the Ice field. A couple Cats tried to gank a Mack and barely failed. It was pretty close but they just didnā€™t have enough DPS to finish it off in time. But for a few moments Ice mining was freaking exciting.

When I first started I got popped in High Sec while doin some basic Venture Mining and I remember being confused because I was in ā€œSafe Spaceā€ and hadnā€™t done anything to anyone. So I asked some other players and the response I got was ā€œThere is no 100% Safe Space in EVEā€ and ā€œIf you canā€™t afford to lose it, donā€™t fly it.ā€ These have stuck with me the entire time and I consider it my EVE Mantra.

Itā€™s the best MMO Iā€™ve ever played. It feels like a world that the Players have real control over how things happen and when and where. And thatā€™s unique. It can be tough and harsh to the uninitiated. But thatā€™s the way it should be. The sense of belonging that is earned is a one of a kind feeling. Iā€™d happily get blown up several hundred more times to keep it just the way EVE isā€¦and I probably will be. lol

o7

4 Likes

Indeed, that element of risk every time one undocks is absolutely essential to the game. In fact it is the game. To eliminate that risk would be to reduce Eve to merely a mining and trading simā€¦Farmville in space.

3 Likes

EvE online is essentially gambling where at any moment you can loose.

But the thrill of winning is pretty dope!

3 Likes

I dont know about that. At least in eve, you can stack your odds. :smirk:

But new players donā€™t want to play the game for that anymore.

How is that different from real gambling?

Itā€™s either you, the house or the other players trying to stack the odds in their favor.

To me at least, experience in game makes a modifier unlike card counting doers in gambling, I guess as an example.

While every jump is a gamble, I can modify that with scouts, etc. So, itā€™s not as much of a gamble to me at least, as it might be to other players.

Youā€™re still playing the odds though. A scout can provide much needed data that would lower your odds of loosing, but the probability is always there.

The same as playing a hand of poker. Reading the other players. Making your bet. When to call. When to fold to minimize your loss to winnings.

I donā€™t play poker because I donā€™t like taking my friends money. (My comment about having to take a nonaccredited marketing course to get my websites to rank was no joke)

Human nature is more at play in this game. Thats part of what makes it so unique. Out thinking my opponent seems to work better than out dpsā€™ing them. I see it as having mercury loaded dice. I canā€™t guarantee every roll, but I still have the advantage.

Very admirable. But you know, you can play poker with chips and without having to take money.

I have no idea what that means.

True.

Itā€™s not an apples to apples comparison. But there are elements that are shared.

1 Like

Fake response, donā€™t like taking yellow loot? ONLY GRABBING BLUE LOOT??

//edit was to point out that this is the only part of that thread responce that I had once quoted the above.

If you get limited engagement with the guy his loot becomes free to grab without suspect flag.

:smirk:

Itā€™s not just jumps, though. The other day I came back from a bio break to find our fleet had undocked and moved onā€¦and I was still in the station, and over 150 war targets in the system all eager to catch any stragglers, and Stabbers outside the station waiting to bump people. When the FC announced to the fleet to align to the next system, I realised that was my one chance to rejoin the fleet or Iā€™d be alone in the systemā€¦and I timed my undocking perfectly and arrived at the gate same time as the main fleet. Not only a good example of paying close attention to comms, but also one of those deliciously risky situations in Eve that are why I play.

2 Likes

Risk is what makes this game so much fun.

1 Like

Easier said than done

So what you are saying is, you had fun.

Non-ganker life revolves around limited engagement pvp.