WoW vs. EvE

Fun is subjective. No MMORPG developer will ever satisfy everyone.

I’ve been playing this game since 2004, have worked for a major MMORPG developer/publisher for over 5 years, and have played WoW since it’s launch. The one thing that sticks out the most for me with EVE Online is the fact a company took a very niche idea and turned it into a profitable product. They even did this in the face of major consumer decline around the time of it’s launch and turned it around to be something pretty epic that sustained a large dev team and many future projects.

World of Warcraft on the other hand, had a extremely large budget, a lot more flexibility, a known IP, replicated many popular game systems from it’s predecessors, offered no real loss, and was set in very popular game setting (e.g.: fantasy versus sci-fi). It pretty much had everything going for it where the only downfall is if the devs failed to execute on all of this correctly, which they did and created an amazing product too.

IMHO it’s really no comparison. EVE Online is David and World of Warcraft was Goliath.

2 Likes

Both are hellishly boring. The only difference in eve your hard-earned stuff gets blown up by players, in wow it becomes obsolete by the latest patch.
Both are subject to arbitrary changing rules which makes playing a game extremely annoying. You know, like playing chess when someone tells you how the pieces should move from now on after each turn.

Dont sell stuff. Keep it. Use it to get even more stuff. Keep it too. Now you have to make a room to store your stuff. Use stuff to create it. Now you can have all the stuff! Enjoy having all the stuff. Then wait for devs to add more stuff for you to get. Brag on forums about your stuff. Compare your stuff with other’s stuff. Learn new creative ways to acquire stuff.
Hell, in wow you can’t even trade most of your stuff. You can either keep it, sell it to an npc for a tiny amount of cash or break it to some usable materials.

Was? Is it now not? Is it now garbage?

I was just talking to a friend about how BFA plays and it sounds like a MOBA

Oh boy, here we go again.

I know you’re a closet gnome with a little wand

I haven’t played WoW, but I think the primary difference is that WoW has a dev team that is actually capable of adding new content and expanding the game.

CCP has a dev team that can’t understand their own code, frequently removes portions of code they have already developed because that code is detrimental to the game, and thinks that nerfing things and removing player options is ‘an improvement’.

Oh, also, I guess, WoW has millions of players, whereas EVE had a few tens of thousands, maybe a couple hundred thousand or something. But now it’s pretty much just 14,000 bots and 8,000 players.

Oh and WoW makes something like 500 times as much money.

So yeah, WoW vs EVE. Boy do those WoW guys look silly now, huh?

1 Like

Yeah but it takes a certain type of player to be able to lose stuff in their game. Imagine wow if it were hardcore lol

WoW vs. EvE

WoW was fun to watch the cinematic… Wow is dead to me!
All they can offer now is leaks on the next expansion in hopes to score back the players who left at the start of BFA

-Wow killed off multiboxing in open world pvp

My wallet closed at the end of Legion.

Eve Online is fun to watch both the cinematic and also actually playing the game.

My wallet remains open with Eve Online.

I don’t wish to disclose the number of active omega accounts I currently have.

OP You’re a bit late, WoW’s been compared with other games since at least 2005 (EU)

Blizzard was lazy rather than integrating the expansions into the original properly the just bolted on a new game.

They finally made it worse with achievements, starting off like GW2 with they’re there but you don’t have to do them and progressing overtime to you have to do them in order to progress. Another example of devs trying to force players into doing content.

Between WoW vs EvE, i would prefer EvE abit more.

It better then wow but if i m going to compare EvE other game (Strictly individual Preferences)

Sad to say. there will alway be something better, being a gamer there is no short supply.

Eg Dreadnought, Star citzen and Space engineers
(their games have problems as well but that what make other games different or interesting)

For sake of comparing will try to stick to apple vs apple and not apple vs orange.

In my view both games are relatively grindly both have perpetual issues relating to struck in chasing stats or gold.

Might be too late to change anything seeing some players invest in their stats training for half a decade.

Player kills and 50% loot drop make new player less willing to PvP or risk their stuff for few sec of fun but it is that risking that make it exciting thou if it is worth risking thats another issue.

Alpha will alway be as good as a cannon fodder thou granted there are great whaler that might pull it off but hey not everyone is a great whaler or encouraged to do so.

So Omega in general are better then Alpha not to mention ccp cracking down on alpha whalers .

Because there, there is very little (some may say none) player generated content, so of course they have to add new content (which feels like the old content sometimes).

I shouldn’t say “was” in that context. World of Warcraft still has millions of players and still is considered large for it’s still subscription based model compared to others. I was just referring to the fact that EVE Online was certainly the little kid on the block that is making big plays for everything stacked up against them.

Got to remember, EVE Online, while not hitting 10 million subscriptions, still outperformed like 90% of the other subscription based MMORPG’s on the market. Many struggled just to retain 100K - 200K subscriptions. EVE, the niche game, had way over that before going more f2p.

Most notably, it survived longer and did better than some of the worlds largest IP’s such as STAR Wars, LOTR and D&D (e.g.: SWG, LORTO, D&D Online). Three of the biggest IP’s that inspired World of Warcraft as well pretty much every consumer in the market share of MMORPG’s.

How bad is the inflation in WoW?

and they should go back to being useless to make people sub, not having alphas in incursions or null making 1b+ a day. on a alpha i experimented in null i can make around 100m+ an hour salvage and looting after supers when they let me, nvm that now they can use BS and are able to run wormholes making even more

in 2008 gtc costs like 160 mil isk. we have hyper inflation, and you compare to the US federal?
you are new. Economy in eve is dead right now so they need to do blackout.

https://stabbedup.blogspot.com/2012/04/eve-technetium-cartel

Was the first search result. You’ll find more and probably much better articles than that one (I haven’t read it) if you just look. No idea if that Technetium cartel still exists since Goons were kicked out of Deklein, but it used to. Most likely still does in one form or another.

Actually, the argument is not “wow vs eve” as much as it is “Egotism vs cooperation”.

Eve players are a specific age group, this age group is advocating for highly complex, and abusive systems (pwn the noob if they dont have time for the game to learn how to break it) or things like “i should be able to spreadsheet on how to roflpawn” while other advocating that position is abusive (and it is).

Intelligent designers will step back and look and see this is something specific to those born in the 1970’s - 1990’s. They will be able to distinguish that most of the people holding these views are not new younger players.

In many ways, eve and other games have a battle of ideology going on. The industry and its developers are adaptive to the new, anti-abusive casual style of games; Mean while the old players are advocating against it.

This is a very big issue for eve, and wow. Both are suffering from the same battle, and its likely both will die because of that battle, you could call it mutual destruction, as the ideologies battle over which way the game should go.

For the designers at ccp, and blizzard this is an extremely difficult task to take on. even myself in all my prodigy struggle with it.

One thing I have noticed in WOW and other MMOs of the past is that when markets get flooded, prices go down. Not so in EVE. If the market gets flooded, big time market players buy up the excess and keep prices high. I also think this is exactly how CCP wants it. Higher prices mean more players fork over real cash for plex. If prices would go down like other games I believe it would = more PvP.

Have you seen the prices of Trig salvage?

Compare now to a year ago.

you can’t compare WOW and EVE, they’re two completely different games.

3 Likes