Your Opinion on (Providence) NRDS

And with this, I don’t need to say anything to you other than that you’re an idiot.

5 Likes

I certainly do. My time in Provi was fun, loved it. I’ve pointed several newbros in that direction specifically because of NRDS and the fact that they don’t have to commit to joining the faceless masses in the (slaveholding) major alliances. They could get a taste of null, get used to operating there, and then decide on their direction.

For me …

Provi = Freedom

This situation is very sad, I’m genuinely upset. I’ll keep an eye on it over the next few months of the NIP to see what happens but I’m not that hopeful tbh.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

Oh, you prefer to tell on yourself. Hey. Your call.

Not necessarily. The OP was very clear in the first post that there were plenty of other threads and podcasts that went into the details. Now maybe links could have been provided but they were pretty easy to search for and find.

No. One of the fundamental design decisions of EVE is emergent gameplay. Keeping the rules to a minimum and let the players drive the narrative. The entire Providence experiment is an amazing example of this. Just because it doesn’t last forever is not a good reason for CCP to start making top down changes of how the game should be played.

And the reason that these games get boring quickly.

1 Like

Rocket, it is very easy to get removed from that list. The diplos in CVA are very nice and respond quickly.
Just talk to them and they sort it out.

2 Likes

I am genuinely confused. I guess CVA claimed that they were holding some kind of pacifist love-in, but there were always hostiles roaming around, so they did not control the space anyway. Besides, how can you get a “taste of null” if you aren’t in constant danger of losing your ship?

5 Likes

You were in danger of losing your ship whenever undocked. The difference was the local sov owner would leave you alone unless you were naughty. So as a neutral you were policed but not shot on sight.

For newbros this was their first taste of null without commiting yourself to any of the blocs so basically if you didn’t like it you maybe went back to hisec. But many of the alphas who were curious and I sent down there first settled, then later moved on to other parts of null, lowsec and wormholes.

It’s easy to disparage NRDS but it created a place where new players could stretch their wings and find what they liked about Eve. Without NRDS Provi then Eve will be poorer for it and null will just be a boring shite-tip, areas with different names but all the same.

NRDS Provi might have been difficult to administer, it might have had it’s leadership issues, it might have been relatively poor, but there were lots of very good people there who believed in what they were trying to do and if that flame dies then part of Eve’s soul dies as well.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Why not just go to NPC null if you want something like that? They even have NPC missions there.

2 Likes

The call goes out:

@Aaron this is perhaps your moment, good luck.

PS I am KOS.

2 Likes

How can Dracvlad, white knight of the righteous, be KOS to a bunch of lovey-dovey starry-eyed utopians?

4 Likes

I spent some time in Great Wildlands, wasn’t the same. You can be mates with your corp members, alliance members & of course with just others. Difference with Provi for me is that it is (was?) a community, everyone who wasn’t KOS had your back even if it was nominal or just “tea and sympathy”. There was a sense of freedom operating there and most importantly it was fun.

If that makes me a luvy-duvy utopian then I’ll wear that badge :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But “community” is separate from location. Why hold sovereignty? That is just a huge unpleasant pain in the butt. Great Wildlands would be a great place to set up a happy utopia of eh… not sure… pacifists?

3 Likes

providence needs to be extended amarr territory
never understood why CVA don’t join /help amarr militia
i guess hubris has a price

Well sense of history is important as well. If someone set up something similar in GW I’d certainly have a look see. But right now if someone in Provi picks up the baton I’ll be joining up if I can with as much gametime & isk I can put their way.

Here’s the thing about Provibloc… and many of their memebers are going to be pissed at me for saying this: Provibloc has more or less existed because they were a content farm. Any null-sec group the size of Provibloc could have knocked Provibloc out of null sex whenever they wanted to. The only reason they didn’t was because the content provided by Provibloc was far more valuable than the space they occupied.

Hell, members of RC have even said that they feel they pushed Provibloc too hard and thus they destroyed the content farm it was. Despite what their leadership would want people to think, Provibloc never really controlled that space; other null sec alliance allowed them to control it.

I recently returned to Eve because my wife wanted to try out the game and she got hooked. So, I went looking for places for us to go, I actually considered Provibloc. I planned on us going down there and letting her experience null-sec under the NRDS rules… which would help us decide where we wanted to go as a couple.

Being a former Gallante FW player, I was on their KOS list because of former corp affiliation. I got on their diplo channel and asked to speak to a diplomat. I was literally told: just join a PC corp not on the KOS list and I’d be automatically removed. Yeah, that’s easy… just create my own PC corp. However, to me… it reeked of ‘we just don’t care’. And I did explain why I was requesting the removal. They had an opportunity to possibly recruit two new players into their coalition. Yeah, that’s nothing… but how many other times have they passed on this sort of opportunity to add members.

Provibloc never grew really… Provibloc never changed… and Provibloc fell because of it.

2 Likes

Ur not wrong, a common complaint.

Correct again as far as I can tell.

But my fear here is that new players, alpha or omega, will be denied the opportunities I had and ultimately is the main reason I’m still playing Eve 3 years later. Doesn’t mean others won’t find their way otherwise but Provi was an accessible stepping stone for a lot of players.

1 Like

Its interesting in that a lot of the new player options from when I started have fallen in terms of popularity and leadership. But that’s the nature of Eve.

However, I don’t think it will affect Eve’s retention that much. Many null sec alliances have newbie friendly corps… and there are always newbie friendly Faction Warfare groups… and newbie friendly hi-sec corps. Heck, there’s even wormhole corps that take newbies and help them get established in Eve.

Losing Provibloc might remove one option towards newbie entrance into null-sec; but, there are tons of other options. And I’ll be honest; if you check my corp history, my first ever Player Corp was in Provibloc. In less than 3 weeks, I realized I didn’t fit there… and with some people, hearing that Provibloc is great place for newbies and then not fitting in might have driven them from the game.

And frankly, NRDS really only applied to new characters… Provi had so many people marked red they needed a website because they ran out of tags in Eve. NRDS simply does not work. I applaud their experiment and attempt to do something different… but just because the idea is different, it doesn’t make it a good idea.

1 Like