64-bit Mac Client, Wine, and YOU

This can also be set up per app…
though I would need to do some digging, as EVE isn’t seen as app on the Mac, but wine is due to the way it is bundled.

To clarify, are you saying that the two-finger “right click” function of the magic mouse would not work but the corner-mapped “right click” would?

Thank you so much for continuing to improve the functionality of the Mac client. I’ll echo what many have said, that the loss of the key bindings is secondary in importance to improvements in performance and stability. I’m curious, in addition to simplifying the management of client coding for CCP, what are the anticipated benefits of these changes for the Mac user? A lot in this thread seem to refer to improved graphics, but as I understand it, a lot of those limitations are due to direct X vs quartz. Is this no longer a limitation?

What’s that about old Macs…my Eve machine is 2009 MacPro, dual quad cores, pretends to be 2010 with new firmware, swapped out GPU, and up to Mojave. Three hundred bucks + GPU. What was this about…Oh yeah the mouse comes with a RMB…so long as Eve button re-map is only for Eve then all good. EVE has come a long way since I started playing on a early Mac mini long ago, where the game would over-write the mini’s display memory at times. Keep up the great work!

I think I speak for all Mac users across the land…Thank you, sincerely, thank you. Keep up the great work toward keeping parity between the two clients.

I have to say the select/cut/paste shortcut changes are proving more frustrating than I expected. A lot of things I do in Signal Cartel involve cutting and pasting from out of game into game and vice versa. Having fun overriding 30 years of muscle memory while also remember to not override it all the time. :slight_smile:

Come to slack Aurora Morgan showed me a hack so that when i play eve the touchbar defaults to F keys and goes back to normal when i close eve

I am flying a early 2019 iMac and this game runs like a dream! No problems!

As to key bindings, I use programmable, mouse, keypad, and keyboard. So I’m never using default bindings anyway. That is, a Razer Tartarus keypad, Logitech G mouse and keyboard. I’ve been without a full sized machine for quite some time. So I am loving the new hardware/software!

Oh yes my point. Seems like people with older machines are having trouble. I just wanted to contribute that my new box works perfectly. So, those with trouble, it might very well be that your older hardware/software is causing trouble.

Is there a link to this information?

Have you tried the game with 500+ person fleets? It crushes wine’s FPS down to 1 FPS for me; even in potato mode. I am on a 2012 cMP 2x3.33ghz/64GB RAM/GTX 980ti 6GB xtreme. Got to get a NATIVE client running at 64bit not more WINE bs. In Win7, however, I can run multiple clients at max res/settings and those 500+ person fleets don’t even spin my fans… Obviously thats the difference between WINE emulation and native.

Losing the key bindings is a real pain. I use them. I use my Magic Mouse for many critical applications other than EVE. I am not going to jeopardise them just to play this game. Investing in another mouse is not an option for me.

It might be nice to have the 64 bit client if it resolved the issues I have with the other wine clients. The other clients I use have problems, such as not seeing expanded gas clouds when I’m in a standard sleeper cache and also the game ALWAYS consistently crashing after about one hour of game play. It always crashes, it seems, at the most inopportune time.

I have invested probably about $350-$500 USD playing this game. I am not happy with the lack of support. I am not happy with being told to invest even more money to buy a different mouse that will impact me with other apps. I am not happy with bots that make it nearly impossible to compete in EVE - especially in the market. It cost more to produce an item with a blueprint than what you can buy it for. That ruins the loot you get in sleeper caches and other areas of industry.

I started playing this game with great enthusiasm because of its perceived depth, longevity and user/player determined environment and the graphics. However, I am not addicted to it like I was in the beginning. I am now playing it a lot less, about 25 percent of what I used to play. That is because of the problems with the game that CCP is not addressing in a timely manner and because of very bad customer support (for example, they didn’t even know about these technical problems with the clients on a Mac and were unable to resolve them or say that it is a bug or something EVE is aware of and working on). You should have better communication processes with your technical support and front line customer facing people.

I am left with only a few options. Play less with the other 32 bit clients or leave the game completely. The latter may eventually happen. I may be only one player but . . . I am one of a very significant number and pain point for CCP that your Senior executives are aware of and admit publically it is their greatest problem.

That is the significant turnover of new players. You are able to attract a lot of new players BUT you can’t keep them. And that significant statistic, friends, means that EVE is losing a tremendous amount of money that they would otherwise be making, if they could continue to add new players (as they do now) and keep them playing.

Your technical decisions will influence me here and affect your organisational ability to execute on strategic objectives for your company. Somebody should communicate that to your senior leadership. It’s not just me who leaves this game . . . there are significant numbers of new players who leave. Mac is no longer 10 percent market share of computers sold in the world. That statistic went bye-bye more than a decade ago.

So, bottom line - your decision with the 64 bit wine client affects me but more importantly, it affects your jobs and the companies ability to compete. Yes, I know that CCP is looking to sell EVE and get out of the VR gaming business. They are changing direction towards mobile games. However, that statistic may also influences their ability to sell the game if they haven’t sold it already. It is a problem that the new owners will still face. I hope this feedback helps.

for those interested, i was able to restore old keybinds by adding a few lines to WINE’s configuration file - “Library/Application Support/EVE Online/p_drive/Local Settings/Application Data/CCP/EVE/SharedCache/wine/settings.reg

note: EVE Launcher will undo our modifications every time WINE is updated (refresh or upgrade)

open Terminal application and paste the following commands; i only remapped left Option key to ALT, and left Command to CTRL; if you want to remap right Option/Command keys, take a look at WineHQ’s website (link bellow)

echo '"LeftOptionIsAlt"="y"' >> "Library/Application Support/EVE Online/p_drive/Local Settings/Application Data/CCP/EVE/SharedCache/wine/settings.reg"
echo '"LeftCommandIsCtrl"="y"' >> "Library/Application Support/EVE Online/p_drive/Local Settings/Application Data/CCP/EVE/SharedCache/wine/settings.reg"
chmod a-w "Library/Application Support/EVE Online/p_drive/Local Settings/Application Data/CCP/EVE/SharedCache/wine/settings.reg"

CMD-H & CMD-Click shortcuts don’t work for me, but i don’t miss them too much
Update: this workaround doesn’t work on macOS Catalina; if / when i have time i might investigate why

for the record, this workaround was inspired by one of the answers in WineHQ’s MacOS FAQ.

1 Like

I have come across a problem; that several the locked shortcuts are unreadable, as in this—> ??? format so it is impossible to know what key to press for the shortcut. If is was possible to change it or if it was readable there would not be a problem. However I don’t know what ??? means so it remains a mystery.

I really would like to be able to ‘print screen’ but cannot because of this problem. The easiest solution seems to me would be to unlock the commands so that they could be changed to whatever suits the individual, but of course I dont know why they are locked to begin with.

As far as the key bindings for copy, paste, cut, etc. I don’t think there is a problem unless you mean you want to do away with these commands entirely. For example, I use the notebook all the time copying and pasting all sorts of things that I want to be able to refer to later, however, I use the mouse right click menu to select those type of editing commands. Mostly because I have just selected some text and still have my hand on the mouse. Its just faster than reaching over and doing finger gymnastics on the keyboard. I may have grown up during the short era of the pre-mouse, but I took to mice like an owl. I use both the keyboard and the mouse and my programmable keypad.

So we return to locked commands. As long as you make those commands re-programmable to the users liking then I don’t see how there could be a problem. I you lock copy, paste, cut etc. then I could see how it might be a problem for keyboardists. I certainly don’t know the specifics of programming keys and shortcuts but it seems to me you dodge problems by making the shortcuts re-programmable if it is possible. I guess that is obvious, so there must be some issue with making these key commands/shortcuts ‘open’ for the user to change.

Most people here seem kinda ‘meh’ about this, but I find the non-nativeness of the “CTRL+C” vs “CMD+C”, etc. to be really annoying. Whenever I switch to or from the Eve client, it usually takes a mistake or two before I get back in the right mode. And I switch constantly (to the browser, to a text editor for notes, etc.)

It won’t stop me from playing, but it’s frustrating. :frowning_face:

I have to echo some of the others here in that switching to non-standard keybindings and breaking the cmd+h hide shortcut has become quite frustrating. If you play on dual monitors, it’s not too bad; however, when you try to play on a laptop screen the absence of a “hide” button makes switching between various screens quite difficult.

1 Like

We had a similar dilemma once. It actually negatively affected our conversion rate. New and returning users were getting confused and moved on.

These small inconveniences have a larger impact than they appear at first. In particular standards like CTRL-C vs CMD-C are a big No No.

the new update at downtime broke the Mac client with a wine issue

I posted a more detailed “bug report” here: https://forums.eveonline.com/t/feedback-on-64-bit-mac-client/164218/29?u=zephyr_tandaros

You can see by the answers 9 days ago from my post, that EVE already might have been broken a few days earlier that today: Feedback on 64-bit Mac Client

Yep I am also getting a lot of crashes, since DT today - 12/09/2019

Literally crashes (screen freeze) after 30-60 secs or so after I’ve undocked.

Sierra 10.12.6
MacBook Pro 2017
64 bit client

7 or 8 times. Force quit. Kept launcher open in the back ground. Closed launcher. Warm reboot, shut down restart. Nothing changes.

Can’t verify the cache etc, says “Some indices were not available”

Also tried 32 bit client. Same result. I did managed to verify the files for 32 bit though and it purged a load but still screen froze once launched.

CCP what do ?

2 Likes

I’m also having this exact problem. Started with this morning’s update. It took me about 20 minutes just to dock safely due to all the crashing.

2 Likes