A new type of **real** Carrier

You define legitimate criticism just simply saying Legacy Code and thus dismissing any further discussion of the idea, really ?
That I am obstinate, well … you’re right.

Sure, but are you talking about not liking the idea and “downvoting” it or going after the person posting the idea ?

I’ve done my due diligence and I am aware of the limitations that everybody is mentioning. That’s why my idea tries to work around that limitation.

Right, you described a Titan ! Now what ? I guess that you are unable to understand my idea !
I get it, not everybody can go outside existing game mechanics.

I guess we have reached the point where your posts contain more “You have …” than "The idea …"
If you want to continue to insult me on a personal level … feel free, you’re rage brightens my day !

Fly safe

Beppe

PS: Triggered :wink: ?

Right. And once you step beyond the lore into the game mechanics, the simple fact is it will always be more effective and efficient to have each pilot using their own jump-capable ship instead of tracking/linking positions etc with a single hull’s location.

Why ?

And just to clarify, by “jump-capable” you mean cyno-jump or gate-jump ?

Or could it be that we’re all right and you’re wrong, but you just don’t want to believe it because nobody here has the CCP badge?

Because there simply is nothing left of that idea that can be ripped apart. There never was much in the first place.

Because that’s what docking one ship inside another does from a code perspective. Ships have one ‘slot’ for a player, that’s it, and the code assumes this. You’re talking about adding more player objects to a single ship object, whether you understand it like that or not.

Which also doesn’t work, for a huge number of reasons starting with the problems with effectively sending pilot commands to multiple ships, since that’s the only way you’re going to get those other hulls into warp with you.

Considering people in this thread have made every attempt to explain to you why this doesn’t work and why it would be a huge work effort to get it to work, yes I’d say obstinate is a pretty good term for your attitude here.

Ah, I think we may have found the disconnect here. Your idea to work around the limitations doesn’t work. If you want to have one person carrying around other players there’s really only one way to do it that’s even remotely feasible, and that way is to have multiple player objects carried around by a ship. The problem with this method is that it doesn’t work, at all, with how Eve is structured right now. Getting it to work would require a massive restructuring of Eve’s base code. How it handles ships and players and session changes.

That’s why your idea is infeasible to the point that discussing the actual mechanics of the idea itself is a largely pointless exercise. It’s like discussing what humanity would do if we had a colony on Alpha Centauri, there are so many other steps between here and there that the actual discussion has very little practical worth even as a hypothetical.

I guess real world fighters are also all drones since they get their orders from the carrier or airfield on how to deploy.

I mean ‘jump drive’, not ‘gate’.

As for why it’s more efficient and effective to have everyone bringing capitals of their own…

1 carrier and 10 cruisers vs 8 carriers, 3 force auxiliaries.

I dunno, which side do you think has the advantage?

Don’t Titans already have a huge hangar space? Are we talking about freighter-versions of titans? Can we call them “Capital Trays”?

What you’re after is basically a station that can fly rather than being anchored.

No thanks.

1 Like

I told this a few threads earlier: this new forum gives us way too many new opportunities to make fun of the devs.

from what i understand the biggest road block to this (at least as explained by fozzi) was how the game couldn’t have two players in the same “spot”. this however was also a major issue in citadels and was solved. so it may be possible to bring carriers up to their original plan

To describe fighters as drones is a damn travesty. I wouldn’t compare carriers to regular drone boats, their capabilities are much much much different and already have their roles to fill. I don’t see what advantage this would give you aside from ruining a ship class just so your fleet doesn’t have to move like a blob until it’s time to deploy… Like a blob.

You do know the ops idea was the original intent right? I for one would love this. It would make true nomadic groups possible in wh space. Log off in the carrier and not get left behind

Citadels don’t change systems though, and player ships do. See: The Citadel Trade exploit that allowed people to teleport Capital ships.

So while Citadels could certainly, at one point when they were bugged, move around Eve they could never jump gates and there’s no reason to assume that the systems that handle gate transitions would take kindly to a group of players in a single ship jumping between systems.

The thread… It lives again!!!

Necromancy is strong in these new forums. I have no idea why people don’t check the date of the post they’re answering… but they need to start lol.

And CCP needs to really stop making it look like 3 month old threads have something new to offer.

In all fairness, I see how it happens, as the suggested topic lists don’t really change with time. I’m also mostly cool with reopening threads rather than starting new threads that are based on commonly discussed topics… up to a point.

In this case I think it’s fine, I was just being snarky really.

1 Like

I totally see how it happens - I had to catch myself once too. Just the same, snark is kind of the only way to answer a 3 month old necrothread.

Snarkolepsy?