ABYSS abusing

Very clever

So we can close this thread full of abyssal ganker tears and go back to the threads with the abyssal carebear tears.

2 Likes

Good, someone tried and confirmed working it finally. Now letā€™s craft the best fit to kill the site runners everywhere ā€¦

ā€¦ also for intel, Iā€™m pretty sure the region number on kills shows the tier level.

Yeah, was discussed here or other thread earlier. Confirmation was missing. Not near my PC atm, so have to stick to forum PvP for the next days. :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure about that. All 5 regions are pretty equal in kills (1,2,3,4,5) and I would expect some larger difference in kill value between the tiers.

Iā€™m leaning towards them being the weather effects rather than the tier, but it is possible that the system ID is linked to the tier. Let me go look in Steveā€™s SDEā€¦

Not really, that was a typo rather than a complete misuse of a definition, but if it makes you feel better then happy to help.

Hey look! someone did a little work and figured out how to stop this instead of asking CCP to make things easier. Good for them.

My view on this is actually nothing to do with mechanics of escape/capture. The risk is supposed to be the site itself. The runner leaving the site is practically guaranteed dead if they are caught leaving by gankers as they cannot realistically repair, refit or rearm upon leaving. The whole feature was advertised as something for solo players to do in 20 minutes but the reality is that you still need friends and secure space. Iā€™m not complaining about that, itā€™s a gameplay choice. Just donā€™t advertise it that way.

5 Likes

The pattern I saw was that people were dying first in 4 and 5, and you always see losses in 1-3 first before losses in 4,5 not the other way. But the number of losses in 4,5 is higher than expected, means I would think less people running them. Weather is another good explaination as the difficulty is different and people may start with the easy ones first ā€¦

There is nothing, at least that I can find, in the database export on the Abyssal systems. There is a table though called ā€˜mapLocationScenesā€™ that has the new regions and each has a different graphicID:

That argues for weather I think, but not conclusive I guess.

It wouldnā€™t take much data though from losses to see if particular systems are linked to a weather/tier combination. Probably just downloading what is on zKillboard and totalling the numbers would give a clue, but so would just a handful of people sharing what site they were in when they exploded.

I CBA reading all this but there are 2 very simple ways to fix this. Shame on anybody who couldnā€™t work it out for themselves. The no brainer involves a mobile depot. Iā€™ll keep the second for myself

Agree, looks more like weather then, so we are back to classic intel ā€¦ locate (unusual) suspects, probe (yellow) beacons, locator agents, stream channels.

So looking at the database, each of the 5 Triglavian regions is broken up into 5 constellations, each with 8 systems for a total of 200 systems.

Maybe the constellation number reflects the tier of the site? Itā€™s not shown on zKill, but it should be pretty easy to pull the data and calculate that statistics for each of the Triglavian constellations. I might attempt it if I find some time.

It would also be interesting to see if any of the procedurally generated effects are linked to a particular system. Not that that information would be as useful as what tier a capsuleer was running. :wink:

So I pulled all the data and was going to post an analysis but I donā€™t think there is anything there. The distribution of number and value of kills seems more-or-less equal across the regions, the constellations and even the systems. The latter is noisy of course, but there is a pretty normal distribution of kills across all the Abyssal systems (with one outlier: system 32000125) suggesting that the tier isnā€™t tied to the system.

Itā€™s still possible of course, and my assumption there would be noticeable differences in lethality/popularity is wrong or we need more data to see a difference. But I think other avenues of intel are going to be needed at this point. Here might be one place to start:

Thanks for the analysis! Even distribution hints at no correlation, as there should be a clear difference if associated to tiers.

But why would their collective be broken up? A collective is always bridged to itself at some junction and would never be broken up into smaller collectives that are not accessible to each other.

The hypothesis was that the different Abyssal regions (there are 5) or different Abyssal constellations (there are 5 in each region) were linked to the tier of the site. That doesnā€™t appear to be the case since a similar number of losses of a similar value are found in each constellation, and where there is some bias in the region data, it isnā€™t large and seems more likely linked to the weather effect.

I am high and wrote three rather philosophical paragraphs about why you should post the Analysis anyway.

Then I looked at these three paragraphs ā€¦
ā€¦ ā€œwhy ā€¦ ?ā€ ā€¦
ā€¦ deleted them and wrote this instead. :smile:

When you can make one, you should make one and you absolutely should publicise it. The reason is simply that, then, many brains can look at it, instead of just one brain ā€¦ yours. Through discussions and statements a higher order mental construct can emerge, potentially yielding new insights and perspectives.

Wow ā€¦ condensed three paragraphs into one shitty line. : - )

But, butā€¦ thatā€™s too much likeā€¦ ā€œworkā€.

Urban Dictionary

ABYSS

An acronym to indicate a scenario, when PVE players abusing PVP players in video games. It can be a scenario, when PVE game mechanic is abusing PVP game mechanic.

Teenage: ā€œFU and your PVP! Iā€™m jumping into the ABYSS!ā€.

When a lvl80 character is trying to kill a lvl30 character in starting zones of WOW. ā€œFU nerd! LOL! Iā€™m going into the ABYSS!ā€

P.S. :laughing:

You are too late, as people have already found a way how to block them from escaping this way.

So you can stop gloating and start crying again.

1 Like

Indeed, this has now been solved by the players, no CCP intervention required, literally a case of ā€œgit gudā€

Just bring mobile depot, put it in space where they emerged and they will be unable to fire next filament.

But you keep hearing rumors that people popping out as a suspect wait out the invulnerability timer and just pop a calm filament and cruise on out the next trace squeaky clean. This claim is 100% TRUE. What you need to do is pop down a mobile depot. Abyssal filaments have a rule about being within 1000 km of an anchored structure (hence a mobile depot). They can no longer run. They can no longer hide.

It was found out two days ago.

But there is another mechanics used
https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/8o0kpu/ive_got_you_beat_hoodie_the_latest_abyssal_meme/

1 Like

Is it only 1000km from anchored structures, what if you are 0km from a star will the filament work there. Although I still need to find the new star collision edge for the Dodixie star but I am close. If the filament could be used in that location it would make a great place to do 4 and 5. When you come out and someone is wanting to kill you, just burn to the collision edge of star and get kicked away at ridiculous speeds for ridiculous distances. =). Also it isnā€™t warp can you use a filament if your moving at any speed that isnā€™t warp?

1 Like