Abyssal Pockets and the Ships to Run Them

OOOOOOOOOOOH

Cut me some slack boys I didn’t go to sleep last night

4 Likes

a bit expensive?

1 Like

I tried to explain this to a a corp mate once or twice… and man… lol some people are really thick. I mean even AFTER showing the bonus being green on wh mapper, they still didnt believe me lol.

1 Like

that is interesting… good point.

1 Like

It would be helpful to know what levels of filaments we’ll be able to run from each type of space. For many players even basic T1 ships will be more than sufficient if they only plan to run (or are limited to) the basic tier filaments.

In addition, what effects and/or restrictions (invulnerability flag, no flag, suspect flag, etc.) will be implemented.

1 Like

This is what I’m most eager to know. I don’t think we’ll get this information until closer to the actual release though.

I have this feeling this is going to be an absolute gong show.

Guess it depends on your skill level, piloting tactics and wallet. What else is there in-game to spend ISK on anyway, other than Skill Extractors and Injectors, Boosters and Accelerators, Ship Skins and Apparel items?

I’ve been playing this game for almost 10 years and have been doing exploration for most of that time. As such I actually have quite a large stockpile of Faction and Deadspace items available. If I don’t have a specific item, I just sell some of the duplicate items I have to get the item I want.

3 Likes

@DeMichael_Crimson that invuln though… sheesh

2 Likes

I ran the first two sites “dark matter” and “excited particles” with a cap stable Zealot with little effort.
Cap stable and double rep fm-pulse with a web. The reactive hardener compensates perfectly.

1 Like

If this is true, it’s definitely for the higher level difficulty sites. Watched a stream practically walk through them on an Ishtar earlier after making a fit in like 5 minutes. (armor, single rep)

T2 ships and mutated modules are most likely going to be required to beat the highest level filaments. I don’t see the Gila (or any Pirate hull, for that matter) cutting it. With the resistance penalties I think armor/RAH fits are going to be the only way to go.

Maybe an Ishtar with a pair of drone durability rigs?

1 Like

It’s the best one available, why not go with the best?

5 Likes

cuz its freaking expensive and I’m too cheap to spend that much isk. I have a few c-types and I don’t really even use them as I consider them too expensive.

3 Likes

I use the dread guristas one quite often

Yeah like I said earlier, I have ton’s of Faction and Deadspace loot with multiple duplicates just sitting in assets. I sell some of the unused duplicates and buy what I don’t have. It’s not like I’m spending ISK, I’m just replacing the unused items with items I can use.

It’s just like Storyline modules, those are really expensive to buy from the market. Granted most don’t have as good of stats as they should but there are some really excellent modules. Due to completing the 4 main Empire Cosmos Constellations, I received 177 Storyline BPC’s and 21 Storyline modules, plus a ton of Implants and Faction munitions. In the course of completing those missions, I also built up a large stockpile of materials used to produce those Storyline modules from the BPC’s. Currently I’ve built 11 Storyline modules with very little ‘out of pocket’ expense.

My point is that despite the current market rate placed on various items, to me it doesn’t cost much to use those items when I have other ways of obtaining them instead of buying them with ISK.

3 Likes

I’ve watched tier 1 AP run. Views are very nice but gameplay was simple, warp in shoot rats, open gate, repeat. There was no interaction with environment and was really easy (but propablly because it was tier 1 and still in developement).

1 Like

I was thinking about Sacrilege for these, like you mentioned, HACs with decent armor tank, but the thing that has me held back is the structure with anti-missle anti-drone stuff. Especially once you get pass the initial level 1 filaments and go higher, will they still be viable ?

1 Like

You have to have some efficiency, you need the tank for these and the sites implode in 15 minutes remember ? So you have to have the DPS as well. The level 1 filaments and entry level sites may be easy to do in just about anything including things like Cynabals, Ashimuus, T1 cruisers etc. but as you progress things will get more difficult. I wouldn’t be surprised if they (CCP) balanced it so that the highest end content can’t be completed at all unless you use deadspace / faction modules.

Though just like you and others, I would like to do them in something other then the Gila.

And those may end up having a much higher gank potential as well. If I was hunting for people exiting sites, and if that invuln timer doesn’t make it to TQ, I’d be scanning for the higher tier ones since people will be running them in more expensive ships.

1 Like

I think the Gila will be good for blitzing low tier filaments, as it has great dps and application. The structure has a limited range, so provided the npcs don’t just cower under it, you can probably fight somewhere else and not be overly disadvantaged. In the video, it did talk about luring the enemies under the tower, which means it must be possible to engage them outside the tower as well. That being said, I personally favour short-ranged turrets and webs for pockets, as they offer better DPS to finish things quickly and avoid timer difficulties. Plus it’s more fun to brawl and it looks like many enemies will want to brawl and there isn’t much space to run away.

In the higher tiers, I expect tank will become increasingly relevant as the weather effect will increase in potency and enemies become more dangerous, at which point a more balanced tank&gank fit might become necessary. HACs have the better tank and, with the ADC, have a great way to survive through the initial burst in damage from full pockets, kill a few and hopefully get a stable tank shortly thereafter.

There is also quite a bit of potential in pairing HACs with weather since you pick both. Weather and races can pair quite well at the T2 level (in order of match quality):

• Minmatar (high EM resist, shield booster bonus) + EMP ammo in an electrical storm (-EM, +Cap recharge)
  • Gallente (Good Kin/Th resist, blasters deal decent Kin/Th too and drones) + Firestorm (-Th, +armor HP) or Exotic (-Kin, +scan res [meh… if only that was a turret buff!])
  • Caldari can do the Firestorm and Exotic ones quite welll too, matching resists and damage types with either missiles or hybrids. Probably should focus on Exotics since then enemies don’t get an armor buff.
  • Amarr lasers don’t work so well with their favour Exp/Kin best resists and you waste the shield HP bonus when running in Exp weather with Exp missiles. They seem like the losers for this one.

Dark matter fields are the odd ones out. Everything going faster and turret debuff means it’s for missile ships, but otherwise no really strong pairing. Looks like Winmatar have the best pairing.

1 Like