Abyssal Space - I'm disappointed

Abyssal Space = Pearl Abyss
Do you see now?

They asked to implement this game mechanic that looks very like a gambling machine design.
You venture a lot going in there, hoping to win the jackpot but more often than not, you loose a lot.

When Pearl Abyss will be at full control, they will monetize special treats to help you even the odds in exchange for real money of course :slight_smile:

That’s only will be the appetizer…

Predicted this, EVE is now the waiting room.

EVEs graphics cannot keep up with other games, all that will happen is the sandbox will be destroyed and the promised new players will reject EVE because of the antiquated UI.

A great example is a game called TSW. It was a great puzzle/thinking kind of MMO and someone decided it would be a WoW killer if it had an action UI. Everyone quit and new players did not fill in.

This is the problem with many of you Eve players. Everyone has to agree with your perspective. Why so much Ego?

I don’t think its that bad. Letting people play together in abyss sites actually sounds fun.

But yea, they should not go too far with this. Eve should be played in space where others can interfere.

I’m not the topic.

I don’t like it. Not because I am against instanced or new content or anything, but I see very serious flaw here as follows:

These pockets are designed for groups, therefore the rewards have to be scaled up accordingly.

Make fleet for T4s and take it into T2s to farm over and over again.

Its too easy for this to become a space basically made for multiboxers and bots.

Sure at 1st while the novlety is still ongoing many people will play it legitimately, what about once the novelty dies down ? Longterm ? If they reduce rewards or make the risk too high then the content will be unused, like regular Abyss before the abyss event, and if they do give it correct scale rewards then it will be worth it for the above said multiboxers and bots.

It creates a very bad situation.

the solo instances are difficult enough that they are hard to bot, and the lowbie ones do not need to give out decent rewards because they are solo, but the group dynamics change all that.

1 Like

This could be part of a HTFU campaign by CCP to get the newbros tough. Fleet Abyssal sites seem to be aimed at newbros due to frigates only , They can fleet up and experience the harshness of the Eve world by going into a Fleet Abyss.

There has to be a level of acceptance That newbros are now able to operate without too much hassle, I think Fleet Abyss sites will have to be fleet commanded and will prove to be an exciting addition to the game from a newbro’s perspective. Hopefully the Fleet Abyss will teach newbros about many aspects of combat, the importance of respecting the FC, overcoming electronic attacks, concentrating DPS on one target.

I will for sure be advising any newbro I come across to get themselves into an abyss corp, make some friends and have some epic fun in a controlled instanced environment.

CCP’s work in laying the grassroots for introducing new players to the game has been enhanced.

You sweet gentle simple fool.

The Gaming industry might be changing somewhat. If people are crying out for more instanced gameplay within a multiplayer sandbox environment then that’s what CCP should give them, I think CCP has done market research to find out why the new player retention rate is low, and Abyss/Fleet Abyss could be a good solution.

We do have to consider that CCP needs to make money and that they are running a business which is difficult in these modern times.

I think there is only so far CCP can go with Abyss, It will end up with there being an Abyss site for every ship class (Frig, Cruiser, BC, BS,) and as you can see they have made provisions for Fleets. It can’t go further than this and I for one think it is a great addition to all of the activities one can do in Eve.

This is already possible to have without any work from CCP devs. In fact i was fleeting up to do lvl4 missions 10 years ago. It was just total strangers who found that it is more “fun” to do such things in group.

If we analyse Lv4 missions we will find they are just easy. If war targets interrupt a group doing Lv4s then they can just get safe and that’s the end of that. With Fleet Abyss it will require the players in the fleet to understand every aspect of Eve combat in order to survive the site, You must see that this can only be good for the game because if newbros really want to understand and play the game they will have to tow the line and get onboard with listening and co-operating with others.

This is still Eve online where you are forced to adapt and develop a play style in order to survive.

Well said @Aaron,

1 Like

I’d say I’m more of a tough stubborn analytical enthusiast.

I could never describe myself as sweet gentle and simple as I have always chosen the difficult way of playing Eve. I have lived in Stain alone for a very long time where I have faced lots of long and drawn out psychological battles where most of the time I was outnumbered with 10 to 1 odds.

I’ve lost billions in battle and have had my best friend clear out my corp hanger. I’ve been playing for 15 years and had good and bad times. Do not mistake my passion for anything else.

Well… I see your idea.

Still Fleet Abyss should be pretty specific to allow fleet compositions needed to run it to have any chances against fleets made especially to counter them.

Take a look at Incursions. The same concept of fleet activity in area available for everyone.
However you don’t see any fights in there. People sit in NPC corps and the only chance to interfere with Incursion fleets is to suicide it.
Even in low-sec or 0.0 nobody really fights in these areas.

Lvl4 is good because they are easy: they allow for slow and relaxed learning.

Small fleet Abyss will not be for newbies, but for veteran multiboxers, or none, if they keep the relative difficulty level.

1 Like

I’ve been in situations where I have advised 25 day old newbros, I advised on fitting and then fleet commanded them to victory against a few experienced players. We did well.

If the FC and fleet members are open to communicating effectively I see no reason why a newbro cant take part in a Fleet Abyss.

L4s are as easy or challenging as you make them out to be. Recently I have been doing them and some DED sites in a Vedmak just for kicks, and while average is fairly easy, there are some real tough ones. For example I still haven’t figured out how to clear the angel extravaganza bonus room with a solo Vedmak. I can do it blindfolded in other ships of course, but that would break the point of what I am trying to do.

One of the things that has come to my mind is that a lot of the difficulties could be adjusted by simply placing more ship restrictions on the gated missions. I do not want to see ships become useless, but comon, marauders in L4s …

That all said, sec missions in general are entry level content and their payout is set to be as such. There is no way for you to get the level of income running L4s vs carrier ratting, just as an example. And then of course there are burners, which require a great deal of set-up, multiple mission pullers etc to actually farm them, and when you check zkill, there are still a lot of people losing ships in burner missions, even years after they all have been worked out.

In the short term they will be for everyone as a lot of people are going to try them. The question will remain as to the longterm, once the initial wave of players dies down.

There is one more thing too. In this game, in general, fleet PvE content is a niche activity, Abyss is a niche activity. So this is a niche within a niche.

I will give it its fair try, but I do not know if I will stick with it.

If they removed CONCORD there would be 100,000 online in 48 hours!