Allow Capital Ships, Supercarriers, and Titans in Highsec

The kind of players who don’t want to learn and just jump to the end are the kind that will eventually whine for EZmode.

EVE is better off without them.

Plus, 3 months is an exaggeration.

I’m a 7 year old character and I still fly frigs and cruisers.

The thing about eve that you eventually learn, is that the bigger the ship, the more headaches it causes.

I own three supers. I dont fly any of them, haven’t for months on this character, because they are a pain. I’d rather fly frigs and cruisers.

When newbies see large supers and titans and feel the need to fly them, they do so because they are new. They dont know any better. Once they start to understand the roles of ship, they realize they dont, shouldn’t, and wouldnt enjoy flying these ships.

3 Likes

At what point is it a good idea for a player to get into a battleship? When they understand game mechanics.

This is a good example of why it’s a bad idea to get into something before you understand game mechanics.

The truth is, it’s a bad idea for new players to get into ships they dont understand or have any knowledge about. They end up wasting isk, time, and leaving the game.

2 Likes

Been hauling going on 11 years and even though I can fly all the hauling ships for all the factions I mostly just fly a transport. The bigger is better mentality is why you see so many freighters blown up.

3 Likes

Plus the mentality of I’m so big I couldnt possibly be ganked. Then they cry and wail when they do get ganked, and ask for freighters to be buffed.

1 Like

carriers and Dreads in high would be fun but supers and titans would just let the big 3 take over high sec also. also a limit of 3 to 5 in a system by any grp at 1 time might be nice. yes I know that a grp of battleships can kill any cap if working right but the big 3 would kill all the corps that could do that within weeks. personally I think corps should be limited to about 100 ppl and no more then 5 corps per alliance. this would break up the super alliances and force much better content for the newer ppl and smaller grps.

personally I think corps should be limited to about 100 ppl and no more then 5 corps per alliance. this would break up the super alliances and force much better content for the newer ppl and smaller grps.

issue with that is simply blue standings being the norm and new ‘alliance’, unless your for a limit on standings that an alliance may set.

Remember highsec allows you to avoid war pvp, the big three cannot ‘take’ over highsec because of the mechanics, I’m even in favor of XL NPC stations, one per region, similar to the new Jita mega station under construction, that allow you to dock supers/titans, allowing players to always have a fallback if they lose in pvp or don’t wish to participate as minimally as possible.

Been gone almost three weeks, glad to see this thread hasn’t changed much. :crazy_face:

Kidding aside…

I’m all in favor of more capital ships exploding, especially ones flown by pilots making rookie mistakes like this Titan pilot did. It’ll help deflate the massive accumulated wealth of the nullsec blocs, plus more capital ships exploding = more fights causing said explosions = more fun.

Having said that, I stand by my stance that allowing all capitals into all of hisec is a step too far. Unrestricted capital/supercapital access to hisec would effectively raise the bar necessary for keeping any kind of structure operational, and the nullsec blocs could fully exert the might of their influence anywhere they wanted to with considerably less risk than they face now. The Blue Donut would become a Blue Circle.

But allowing dreads and carriers on the fringes of hisec? That would add some interesting options for hisec escalations without stifling the core of hisec where most hisec residents live.

Also, this talk of allowing capital ships into hisec helping new players is…interesting. It takes about half a year to train into a bare-minimum dread or carrier fit from scratch. That’s just to undock it with the most basic of fits; none of the associated support skills beyond what’s necessary to fly it would be trained at all, which means a player flying it with those skills would be almost useless with it. To get a more reasonable dread/carrier skillset takes at least a year, probably closer to two, and by that point they’re hardly a new player anymore. (Or, a lot of flipping skill injectors, but that’s another matter entirely…)

Just remember that any time a newer character or corp could bring one or two capital ships to help them out, larger blocs of long-time pilots will bring an entire fleet of capital ships to squash them. That’s not any kind of help to small corps or younger players.

1 Like

I’m all in favor of more capital ships exploding, especially ones flown by pilots making rookie mistakes like this Titan pilot did. It’ll help deflate the massive accumulated wealth of the nullsec blocs, plus more capital ships exploding = more fights causing said explosions = more fun.

We are in agreement 100%

Having said that, I stand by my stance that allowing all capitals into all of hisec is a step too far. Unrestricted capital/supercapital access to hisec would effectively raise the bar necessary for keeping any kind of structure operational, and the nullsec blocs could fully exert the might of their influence anywhere they wanted to with considerably less risk than they face now. The Blue Donut would become a Blue Circle.

Aye increased structure defense costs would be a result of my proposal, it is arguably the only negative that would result for highsec residents. The reason why I’m against your ideas on balance is because of the exact same reason why your concerned about full highsec access, the nullsec influence.

Remember that nullsec at the start will always have an advantage vs highsec at the start, CCP catering to them for years on end will do that, not even mentioning the superiority of the mining/ratting/industry that they have simply due to mechanics. If you lockdown the capital access to only the ‘fringes’ which happen to be where all highsec mining occurs (0.5), then locking down those areas would be much easier, than if capitals were scattered all across highsec, since moving them would be easy, and more annoying for the nullsec groups as they don’t know who would attack them and from where.

Even worse if they are permanent suspect as you mentioned, in which case a massive null fleet would be near invulnerable since they will have capital supremacy, because they can ignore the suspect flag at the start of the release when they have advantage.

But allowing dreads and carriers on the fringes of hisec? That would add some interesting options for hisec escalations without stifling the core of hisec where most hisec residents live.

It would still be a nerf to highsec, it would be like restricting capitals to only -1.0 true sec nullsec, and all other nullsec does not allow them.

Also, this talk of allowing capital ships into hisec helping new players is…interesting. It takes about half a year to train into a bare-minimum dread or carrier fit from scratch. That’s just to undock it with the most basic of fits; none of the associated support skills beyond what’s necessary to fly it would be trained at all, which means a player flying it with those skills would be almost useless with it. To get a more reasonable dread/carrier skillset takes at least a year, probably closer to two, and by that point they’re hardly a new player anymore. (Or, a lot of flipping skill injectors, but that’s another matter entirely…)

Lot’s of new players want to aim for big ships and dream of having them, its a great thing that keeps them in the game. When I tell them that they can never have them because they are banned for them, many are upset since they joined eve to fly them, either seeing them in trailers or in youtube fights. Many end up leaving the game as a result, especially since they don’t want to deal with tyrannical nullsec bosses that tell them they must pvp or do this to stay in their corp.

Just remember that any time a newer character or corp could bring one or two capital ships to help them out, larger blocs of long-time pilots will bring an entire fleet of capital ships to squash them. That’s not any kind of help to small corps or younger players.

In war yes, but remember in war its always the strongest that wins, especially in this game. In regular highsec gameplay, so long as they have safety green and auto reject duels off, they are safe, only having ganking as a risk or negligence in PVE.

But welcome back Bronson, glad to see your back on the forums :slight_smile:

Perfect example of solo player trying to change the rules rather than just enjoy his chosen play style.

CEO of a corporation = Solo player, don’t understand your logic

Being CEO of a corporation doesn’t automatically mean you’re not a solo player. I’ve been running a “one player corp” of a handful of alts of mine for quite some time, and rather enjoy it.

Having said that…I doubt you have close to 1800 alts, so…

:wink:

1 Like

It really doesn’t matter, he is a proponent of the roflstompsolomobile.

Being CEO of a corporation doesn’t automatically mean you’re not a solo player. I’ve been running a “one player corp” of a handful of alts of mine for quite some time, and rather enjoy it.

Having said that…I doubt you have close to 1800 alts, so…

:wink:

Hehe, can’t dispute both of your points :slight_smile:

It really doesn’t matter, he is a proponent of the roflstompsolomobile.

How so?

Perfect example of solo player trying to change the rules rather than just enjoy his chosen play style.

Considering people have been trying to nerf solo gameplay for years, that statement is quite ironic. Solo players wanting improvements to the game is bad now?

Capital ships hurt solo players actually.

Capitals hurt the game. Please don’t.

Capitals made subcapitals irrelevant. Do you want every conflict in the game escalating to capital warfare? At least in high sec we still get to see a little variety.

(Emphasis mine.)

Fixed that for you.

For smaller scale combat, roams looking for kills (or lulz), etc., subcaps are still plenty useful. (Even moreso after the recent warp speed buff for larger subcaps.) They find a target of opportunity, they engage, and if they get overwhelmed they can break off and flee.

But when your goal is to protect (or destroy) a fixed point in space…yeah, caps and supercaps make subcaps largely irrelevant. Hisec is pretty much the only place where you can still have an organized structure bash not almost automatically escalate to caps and supercaps.

Allowing unrestricted access for all caps and supercaps throughout all of hisec would just see hisec devolve into the nullsec blocs fighting it out over trade hub keepstars and bowing up any structure that didn’t belong to them simply because they could. This would be bad for the game.

Capitals hurt the game. Please don’t.

If that statement is true then why are they in the game, and even worse, why do only one group of players get to use them?