Announcement: God has Given the Achurans Over to Destruction

What you must. That which affirms your own humanity.

2 Likes
  • A drawn out emancipation to limit both parties economic burden,
  • a demilitarized zone to create a defined border,
  • a joint task force to bolster some goodwill/understanding via security ops
  • no reparations from either side.

Donā€™t see whats subject to interpretation, and thats just from the second post in the thread not the other 3 proposals.

3 Likes

Hm. Well ā€¦ I guess it didnā€™t stick in the memory so well.

Iā€™m sorry.

Actually, come to think of it, you got jumped on a little, too, didnā€™t you? ā€¦ Kind of hard.

Okay, now Iā€™m sorrier.

2 Likes

I donā€™t want my people to agree with everything I say blindly, nor do I agree with everything they say. Diverse opinions will only make us a stronger, more levelheaded people. At the same time I donā€™t wish to see those who donā€™t take the plunge into being bellicose ignored. There are many, they just dont have the notoriety.

3 Likes

I see. ā€¦ Maybe I despaired too quickly. I donā€™t think Iā€™m the only one on the Empireā€™s side that came away from that discussion feeling kind of shocked, and hopeless.

Iā€™ll ā€¦ have to think about this a little. Iā€™m not sure it changes my course, but, itā€™s something to consider for sure.

Youā€™re still active in the Amarr/Matari WZ, right? Or are you?

(Not a rhetorical trap, to be clear. Wondering if tea or something at Cafe Marlinea is a reasonable idea.)

1 Like

My corporation is currently deployed in black rise, State Protectorate. Lets just say its a very long story and we donā€™t get along with a few Galmil groups so rather than being pirate or shooting ā€œalliesā€ we formally made ourselves enemies to those we view as more of a threat.

2 Likes

At peace with this world? What bearing does that have on understanding, Aria? Of course Iā€™m not at peace: Iā€™m alive. Life is a process. We change, constantly. Some days weā€™re more in-tune with our surroundings, some days weā€™re not. The tide can be high or low, the seas calm or ragingā€¦ but the ocean remains the ocean. To think that understanding arises from being at peace with the world, or even oneself, or that it enables being at peace with eitherā€¦

Iā€™m sorry, Aria, but thatā€™s the yearnings of a child, desperate for shelter, afraid of the great big future. A twig in the current of a river knows not peace, but chaos: endless minute shifts and twists, eddies and whorls. At any moment, it might be battered on the rocks or caught immobile by the riverbank, and find its journey unexpectedly cut short. But such things are the vaguaries of chance. While the journey lasts, there is only the moment.

Of course I find much in myself worth denouncing. Iā€™m not perfect. For a time there, I stopped even trying to be a little closer to it than Iā€™d been. And you were one of those who saw that, who called me out on it, who ā€˜beat me upā€™ a bit over it. Should I see that as the act of an enemy? I donā€™t. A friendā€”someone who really cares about someone elseā€”should challenge them to see their errors, should poke at them, prod at them, even scream at them, to be their better selves.

Who else would make the effort?

Yes, I said those things. Those thoughts come from a very dark, bleak part of myself. Itā€™s not the whole of me, but itā€™s there. So? This is just what I was talking about when I said that you just have to let the sunset happen, to let yourself see it. Stop fighting yourself. Sometimes youā€™ll be up. Sometimes youā€™ll be down. Always, youā€™ll be you. Whoever you are, in that moment.

Be, in that moment. Itā€™s all there is.

2 Likes

Oh.

Haha ā€¦ um. Thatā€™s kind of neat. Or else a little sad.

Probably both. ā€¦ Kind of a sign of our times in any case.

The worldā€™s ā€¦ certainly complicated, isnā€™t it?

Anyway, itā€™d be interesting to talk some stuff out further. Maybe I wonā€™t have to busy myself disposing of Arrendisā€™s ā€œbullets,ā€ literal or metaphorical, so much after all.

Is this happiness Iā€™m feeling? Or disappointment?

ā€¦ this was a lot easier a few minutes ago. Also bleaker, though. Iā€™m not sure you by yourself should be enough to change the picture-- after all, at least right now, youā€™re even farther outside the Republic than Mr. Egivand.

It does change how I feel about stuff a little, though.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™ve never declared the cal/gal conflict was any of my business or my corpā€™s for that matter. We went there to shoot pirates, not state protectorate, not fdu. Its pretty sad in my eyes since it is the culmination of failed diplomacy, which I definately have my share of the blame on. It only goes to show, be nice to your allies or your allies wonā€™t be allies for long. Its nothing to do with the Gallante people, just a few groups under their employ. I still support my Republic, I still support the idea of peace for it. I will not however let those under me suffer to maintain a status quo that only one side is recognizing.

2 Likes

Hee.

Well ā€¦ thatā€™s a way of looking at some stuff.

Enough, though. Please. At best weā€™re a couple of novices bickering in the monastery yard over whoā€™s closer to becoming a master while the actual master, seated under a tree nearby, is looking increasingly tired.

Whatever your intentions, youā€™ve come very close to making me hate you. ā€¦ Actually, right now, I kind of do. Thatā€™ll probably pass. Even once it does, though, I donā€™t think your advice is good for me, and maybe mine isnā€™t very good for you, either.

Maybe weā€™re too different. Or too much alike.

Either way, Iā€™d rather we went our separate ways for now.

Perhaps friends should challenge each other to see their errors, to be better. But they need to accept each otherā€™s frailties, too. And right now, yours are making me want to kill someone you might care a little about, because you might care about them.

To paraphrase something Ms. Vess said just now, be nice to your friends, or your friends wonā€™t be friends for long. Hate and affection are not opposites.

Right now, I can say my feelings about you are not apathetic. So please, stop trying to fix me.

2 Likes

Anyone who claims to have mastered anything is deluding themselves.

Iā€™m not. Iā€™m just being who I am, in this moment. Neither one of us could ever ā€˜fixā€™ the other. Nothing I say can change you, or anger you, or affect your feelings. Only your decisions can do that. If something I say angers you, itā€™s because you see something in it that you feel challenges your self-image.

And only you can examine why.

2 Likes

So weā€™re not at ā€œat best.ā€ I knew it. You can try to talk like a monk, but you donā€™t understand this world at all.

Go away, Arrendis.

1 Like

Or, you know, you might be a moralizer, a demagogue, and dead wrong.

1 Like

Letā€™s not get overly cynical though, Vesper. Just remember not every Republic or Tribe loyalist is our enemy. To make peace there must be people left when the dust settles.

2 Likes

Wouldnā€™t those be aspects of oneā€™s self-image that a response might challenge?

Addendum:
Iā€™ve reread your post. Youā€™re saying that one might be angered by the response because the person making it might be those things. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

1 Like

And yet, you can offer no example to correct my supposed lack of understanding.

How can my words change you? How can they do anything without you being the agent of that change through your reactions? If you donā€™t like themā€¦ choose to react differently.

2 Likes

So do you think that war is inevitable now? That the cluster will burn in a violent cataclysm of ideologies?

1 Like

Maybe take this all to off-topic, instead of giving the Butcher free advertisement?

8 Likes

I think I agree with you on something, Ms. Kernher.

4 Likes

Good point, Samira.

3 Likes