Anti-ganking measures

I would think not. We can break them down real quick. @Brisc_Rubal

#1 a 30s timer – it often takes 30sec (or more) to bring up the map and scan down the signature and then warp to it. It is unlikely this would even be noticed, but its a nudge towards the mechanic of stabilization, which I think is a good idea. Wormholes cannot be transversed as soon as they spawn, they need time to stabilize (as they would theoretically IRL)

#2 Avengers are meant to make running sites in capital ships longer. and tougher We currently use avengers right now risk-free to escalate people in our hole rather than fight them. We warp an archon in at 1000-10,000km, spawn avengers ontop of them, and warp off.

If you want someone out of your hole, you should fight them out of it, not have NPCs do it for you.

#3 No one likes being stuck for 5 minutes unable to go anywhere, the traffic ontrol bug sucks

#4 Frig holes are hated, except for evictions where they are loved/hated/needed. This is the tough sell and highly controversial. Something needs to be done – everyone agrees on that – but no one knows for sure what.

Are you for real right now?

Out of all the ways to improve WH space you actually went with the remove filaments approach?

Dude…

I told you this was something we had suggested.

Out of all the things that could have been changed, that was the change that made it through.

Wow. I honestly don’t have words. The closest thing I can think to say: you guys are basically Washington politicians now.

i’m seeing mixed signals, more happy than ticked over the filament changes…

Thats really simple:
Wormholers: Hate it
Nullsecc’rs: Love it

Thats the mixed signals.

i’m seeing holers loving the change cause then null sec can’t just filament out.

The problem was never nullseccr’s coming into wormholes and filamenting out. I don’t know who has said this is a major problem. I would love to know the mysterious ‘sources’ surrounding this.

Who is claiming this is a problem?

And out of all the (alleged) problems, why is this being done instead the myriad of other issues? Its easy I suppose… The other problems require time to solve…

edit: If this is a real issue, and I’ve somehow missed just how big an issue this is, I will acknowledge that. It is possible that I’ve just been completely lucky not to run into this ‘problem’. But I talk to tons of fellow wormholers and have never heard it mentioned… so I’d really like to know who is saying its a problem.

And you guys who know me, know I wont hesitate to whine about a wormhole space problem – and this has NEVER come to my attention.

I told you before this was a common complaint I heard from a lot of wormholers. You are the only one I’ve heard from complaining about it.

What wormholers? Corp names if they won’t stand by what they said.

I live breathe eat and sleep wormholes and I’ve never heard anyone say this.

As for specifics as to who said what to me when, sorry, I don’t kiss and tell. The last time I did that the guy got wailed on by his own people.

“I can’t give you any proof, you just have to trust me and my anonymous source”

:+1:

Washington politics in EVE

Leave the real life politics out.

When it comes to dev changes, just like anything else, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Folks complained to me, complained to CCP, and elsewhere. You can see plenty of folks in that thread on reddit praising the changes and suggesting they were necessary.

This is why it got done. That nobody is complaining about it confirms what I said.

The people in that thread championing it believe filaments gives wormholers ‘asset safety’. The thread is literally entitled “no more asset safety for wormholers”.

Thats insane. All wormholers keep charons to suitcase in and a scout on another account to get assets out. No one is filamenting 10b+ freighters out.

The whole premise of the change is nonsense I highly doubt the knowledge and experience of those cheering it on when it comes to WH mechanics if they believe thats how we ‘asset safety’. WE ALL SUITCASE.

The main purpose of filaments by wormholers is for when small assets (100 - 400mil) not worth spending an 1-2hr+ scanning get rolled out.

In one minute digging I’ve found people who dislike it & have already come up with better solutions.

" Reasons to keep filaments in wormholes:

1. Filaments force groups to comp engageably and can lead to more fights. If two groups are going to fight, each side must have an expectation of the possibility of victory. If one group brings an vastly superior fleet in terms of numbers or composition, the other group can use filaments to extract. Without the use of filaments the smaller group might not have tried to fight in the first place for fear of being camped in a system and forced to log out for a day or longer.
  2. Filaments allow better large brawls between mid to large size wormhole corps. Often these brawls will happen in the home system of one the two larger corps. The home corp has a built in advantage in terms of quickly reshipping if their pod is not bubbled or they have an escape frig. Another big advantage of the home corp is the mass of ships they can bring to the fight. The visitor has to consider the mass of connections needed to reach the other system and whether there will be enough mass left for them to bring their big expensive fleet back home after the fight. Filaments allow a secondary mass independent extraction method after the fight, putting the fight on still disadvantaged but fairer terms.
  3. People roam null or access events with filaments. Sometimes people have a limited playtime and can’t wait for good connections to go on a roam or do event sites like the winter nexus event in LS. Removing filaments from wormholes directly removes that content.
  4. There is a middle ground between filamenting in perfect safety and nuking their use entirely. A 30 second spool up would make filamenting as dangerous as safelogging and allow a competent combat prober to warp tackle to a fleet intending to filament in order to create a timer to disallow that fleet to escape."

“I agree, removing filaments completely benefits only blobs doing evictions. Adding spool timer would be better solution.”

“I don’t mean to sound pompous but implementing a bad solution because the good solution is harder doesn’t feel like a solution at all”

“From a coding perspective it seems equally as easy to add a 30s timer to all filaments as it is to disallow them in one space category. The code for each solution already exists.”

Infact, quite a few people point out its a very lazy solution – which it certainly is lazy.

“> How long should the spool timer be? 30 Seconds. Why? That’s the accepted length of the safe log timer. So if you aren’t safe enough to safe log, then you aren’t safe enough to filament.”

“Give this person a medal!!! If you aren’t safe enough to log, you aren’t safe enough to filament”

Why not a 30s spool up timer, @Brisc_Rubal ?

I’m fine with a spool up timer for all filaments. I said as much in the thread.

Good to know Iam not alone with these problems.

I don’t have the problem with Ganking generally. But I have a problem with multiplicity ganking in HighSec.
And you can do nothing against this.

You have a Tank Orca? Then it will come 50+ Gankers and will kill you.
You want pass with a standard cruiser a system. You will gank on gates etc…

I dont want to forbid ganking, but maybe make it harder.
Examples for a solution:

• If you have a Sec-standing example -7.0, you are a free kill for everyone in Highsec all time.
  • make it possible to join a Concord Police faction (how like the faction War) it’s not allowed to attack another player in Highsec but you can strike players with minus Sec-Standing all time or get information about ganking locations. (Maybe can CCP create a new LP store and Rank badge)

I hope a CSM or Dev read my ideas…

Me neither, unless they gank me.

How do you think ships survive in space outside high sec? Maybe try to apply similar strategies that are needed to survive there and you will see you can often do something to avoid getting ganked.

I’m not well known with high sec engagement rules, but isn’t it already the case that you can attack people with low security standing anywhere in HS?

And to find ganking locations I guess you can either take a look at the common places (Uedama, Jita, other busy systems), look at the map for high sec systems with high amounts of ships destroyed in the last hour or run locator agents on gankers that you know are active at the moment.

Thanks for your answer,

yes you can do this. But I think that is not the idea for HighSec.

not really, only if there are suspect or criminal, but not with a low Sec-Standing.

that is true, and I try this allready. but you need more a live time information. you see it in the local. but not the location in belt or gates.
That was the reason of the Idea to join a Concord Faction to see this, or kill minus Security Standing to kill them befor they are ganking.

Finding people in a system is a skill you can learn, try playing around with your d-scan settings and see if you can figure out where in system the catalysts are.

When you get used to using your d-scan, you can use it in all sorts of situations, offensively but also for defense.

Or more advanced: use combat probes which allows you to warp right in your optimal range of them, but this may warn them you’re looking for them.

And if they are docked, you can check structures to see how many people are inside (it gives you a number, for example [3] when 3 people are inside) , or dock at stations to see who the other guests are.