Anti-ganking measures

Facpo will hunt low sec status characters, but they can be avoided and destroyed unlike CONCORD.

Or its the navy police im thinking of and facpo goes after low standings to factions

You’re correct. “[Faction] Navy Police” go after people with low [faction] standings, and “The Faction Police” go after people with low sec status. The terminology is designed to maximize confusion.

Note things get even more confusing in CONCORD-owned systems.

You mean CONCORD? :stuck_out_tongue:

On a serious note, at the rate gankers (typically) burn a person’s ship down, nothing an NPC (or even a player) can do will fix the outcome.

I’ve been playing for a very long time, and I can count the number of times on one hand I’ve been ganked in high-sec. It’s really not hard to avoid being ganked. There’s already a bunch of strategies out there, such as:

• Do the mathematics of how much ISK of ships the gankers will lose in exchange for the chance of getting what’s in your cargohold. If you’re in a bulkhead-fitted freighter, you’d need to haul something worth more than 1.5b before they’ll even consider it, as they’ll need almost that much in ISK in Tornadoes. Similar things can be said about very tanky Deep Space Transports.

• As per the above, Do. Not. Fly. Industrials. EVER. They are as thin as paper, and unless you’re hauling basic ores around, they make for a juicy target. The only hauler I’ve ever lost to a gank was - you guessed it! A Mammoth.

• Get a friend (or, if you’re lucky enough to have one, an alt) to +1 for you, to check for active gankers in-system. A cursory look in Local is usually good enough, and a D-Scan can also pick out potential targets.

• Depending on the hauler, either 1) Get someone to web you (Freighters), 2) Add a MWD that can get you up to warp speed within 10 seconds (and have that MWD set to a single cycle), 3) Do the “Cloak Warp” trick. The less time you’re on the grid, the less chance of you being ganked.

• Convoy. If you’re in a fleet of haulers doing alignment at the same time, even if one of you get caught, everyone else will be safe. In fact, it could throw off the gankers enough that they won’t be able to prioritize in time before you’re gone (assuming you’re using the MWD trick).

• Use useful websites like EVE - Check before you jump! to see where ganking activity may be occurring. It is MOST DEFINITELY worth the Premium investment - and that Premium investment is only 25 million ISK / month. If it avoids you from getting ganked at least once, it’s more than paid for itself.

• DO. NOT. AUTOPILOT. EVER.

• If you must AFK, dock at the nearest station.

• If you find a ganking group in a system ahead, with no alternate route (ie. Uedama), with your +1, wait until they kill another hapless victim before proceeding. If you see lots of flashing red skulls in local, that’s ironically the best time to go as that means they are on cooldown from being able to strike again. If you want to stay “ready”, stay tethered to a publicly accessible citadel. They can’t scan you while tethered, either.

• Keep an eye out for similarly-named alts. Most of the time they’re unrelated to ganking, but sometimes they can be blatantly obvious, such as “TORNADO1”, “TORNADO2”, etc.

• Don’t use shuttles to move things. They can die to a single smartbomb.

• Travelceptors are good for moving high-value items. However, they can be caught by instalockers. Consider looking into a sub-1s hauler instead - the only defense against instalockers. I know of only one ship that can do it. I’m not going to say which - you can probably figure it out by playing with the ingame fitting tool.

• If you’re moving valuable ships, strip them of valuable modules and move them separately (see above). Buffer tank the ships as best you can to make them painful targets (if you’re lucky, the gankers may even fail against it.

• If you’re in a mining fleet in high-sec, avoid bringing an Exhumer to an ice belt. Gankers love those. Use a Mining Barge instead. You’ll likely lose a Mining Barge (like I did). But at least it’s a 10th of the price, right, and has a far better insurance payout.

• Be mindful of special events, such as The Hunt, which further encourages ganking as it gives bonuses to destroying you.

• For any NPC station (citadels you’re safe regardless) you plan on undocking cargo from, set up an “Instant Undock”; undock in a shuttle or frigate, fly to 5,000+km straight from the station undock (make sure you manually adjust your heading as the station throws you out in a slightly off-angle direction every time you undock), and save a bookmark (in fact, safe a few so you don’t have to try to click a single one).

• Likewise, add a bookmark that is closer to an NPC station’s warp-in point to ensure you can dock immediately. Sometimes you will land outside the docking area, and that can be enough time to be ganked.

• Avoid using cargo expansion modules or rigs unless you literally have no other choice (ie. moving lots of station containers, lots excessive amoutns of high-sec ore). As long as your cargo’s value is nowhere near the value of their ships to kill you, that should be fine. But don’t underestimate how much cargohold expanders weaken your ship’s HP - especially when you factor in the removal of tank modules on top of its native structure HP penalty.

• Finally - and most importantly - don’t haul what you can’t afford to lose.

TL;DR - No changes needed; there’s already dozens of ways to avoid being ganked. If you keep getting ganked, you’re following the definition of insanty: Trying the same thing over and over against while expecting a different result. If you want to avoid being ganked, you have to outsmart them - and there are plenty of ways to avoid them.

2 Likes

I think you may be on to something with your second bullet point. Maybe a bounty hunting type of gameplay that you carry out for the faction police, getting paid per kill of very low sec status pilots.

Obviously someone taking on one of these bounty hunting contracts would have to have a flashing police light on their ship (could even be a temp skin if CCP wanted to go whole hog on the idea), also with some form of limited engagement ticker so the gank squads can fight back.

It would at least give the AG types something actually meaningful to do, and might push the large gank groups into different comps, breaking up that meta.

1 Like

Are you sure about that? I mean, if you want to hang out on a gate with a -5.0 status in hi sec, go for it.

No clue, I’m certain.

There will be no changes to how support are policing CONCORD interaction and that ‘pulling’ CONCORD or defensive spawning of CONCORD is currently permitted but we reserve the right to change this at a future date.

So basically, a group of mining barges are allowed to use alt accounts to pull defensively pull CONCORD to an asteroid belt using the gank mechanic, as long as the miners aren’t engaged in a gank of a Capsuleer’s ship elsewhere, lets say on a gate, in the same system.

But, gankers are not allowed to defensively pull CONCORD to a group of miners by attacking the barges that would reduce the amount of CONCORD or delay CONCORD on a gate where the gankers are attacking a Capsuleer’s ship.

Correct.

What?

Why would gankers want to defensively pull CONCORD to a group of miners?

As far as I understand it, they’re allowed to do so. I just don’t see why they would want to do that.

You can’t ‘reduce’ the amount of CONCORD. You also can’t delay CONCORD past the set response time for that system. You are definitely stringing English words together, but I’m not sure what you are saying.

1 Like

There is nothing that says a ganker can’t pull CONCORD to a group of ships they don’t plan on ganking, to pull off a gate camp.

i think that is what dryson is hinting at @Wes_Wyhunnan & @Gerard_Amatin

Dryson is saying to pull off ganking at a gate (not the miners) that they couldn’t use the miners as a decoy for drawing in CONCORD so that they can effectively pull off the gank at a gate.

If I understood the end result of the CONCORD controversy a while ago correctly:

pulling CONCORD is allowed as it has always been.

If a ganker, miner or anyone else wants to pull CONCORD anywhere, whether it is away from a gate, to the grid of some miners or anywhere else, you’re allowed to do so.

The delayed or sped up reaction times of CONCORD as response to an criminal act based on the current location of CONCORD are all part of the gameplay as it has intentionally been programmed by CCP.

The thing that isn’t allowed is to avoid getting killed by CONCORD after a criminal act, or to delay getting CONCORD on grid indefinitely or longer than the normal response times*.

*Normal response times are based on both system security rating and the current location of CONCORD.

(I’m no ganker, or antiganker or high sec resident at all, so if anyone spots something wrong let me know.)

thats in a nutshell correct, i just don’t see why dryson thought miners could do something that gankers couldn’t do… if gankers couldn’t do that, they’d be throwing a fit.

I don’t get his post either.

Yes. They are called mercenaries. But more simply, use a scout and when they approach go safe.

Apr 19, 2022, 23:35 UTC
First, thank you for the return of my ship…As you could see an Ore Frigate has no means of defense especially to the higher level players with full ECM and weapons.
To all who read, telling someone its thier fault for getting ganked is pure BS by those who are violent in nature, trampling on the weak or sneak attacks are never acceptable.
Your statement that “all players are considered enemies” is the PROBLEM fomenting violence instead of diplomacy. Even new players need to visit low sec areas to mine higher profit materials, and forcing the joining of a corporation or alliance negates the individual choice to be a “solo / neutral” player without allegiance to any group, a MERCHANT or EXPLORER which requires better than to be treated as an enemy by all.
I reiterate…The green (safety) choice should be safe from ANY player ( not the red rats) attacks.
If PVP is desired, then change to yellow in your home port, for no less than 96 hours, and return back to your home port to change back to green. Also, several of the corporations I researched had a core group of players who believe that raiding / ganking other (non corporation) players and selling the spoils is the only way to play.
You really NEED to change some of the rules to make it more enjoyable, and equitable, for ALL to play.
An alternative is to make all use a five level threat evaluation ranked 0 to extremely high, and prohibit high level players from ganking low level players.
The platform should embrace commerce, exploration and diplomacy instead of war.

Your safety settings exists to protect yourself from your own actions, it does not have any impact* on gameplay mechanics and neither should it.

*(except edencom weapons for some reason, which can be programmed not to hit allies with the safety settings. CCP please fix?)

If you consider all other players as enemies by default, you will not be surprised when any of them do shoot you when given the chance.

This change of mindset will not force you to shoot people, this mindset is only for your protection and does not stop you from using diplomacy with others.

New Eden is a cold, dark, grim fantasy world full of unchecked violence, greed, might-makes-right violent types. It’s been presented that way in the lore and marketing since release. I highly recommend you watch the original introduction video.

Whatever managed to set your expectations that New Eden was a rational, reasonable, diplomatic place did you a disservice. My recommendation is to grow and adapt with every loss, treat them as expected outcomes, and see how far that takes you in the tough icy universe.

1 Like

I find this more offensive than the ganking.

If by pure BS you mean “true 95%” of the time. And if by violent in nature you mean “ educating you to do better”……. Then I’m right with you.

‘Sneak attacks never acceptable’?

You are aware of the kind of game this is? With a special ship line with their own mechanics specifically designed for one type of sneak group attacks?

EVE is a game where hunting, unfair fights and chases are intentionally part of the ruthless universe.

If I wanted to play a PvP game where I was put into structured team fights like a 5 versus 5 fight with 9 random other players I’d still be playing League of Legends.

Instead, I prefer a PvP game where conflicts have a more organic origin, where just like in nature you have prey and predators. And prey that can fight predators, as well as predators that hunt predators.

None of the structured team versus team type of PvP, just a big universe with plenty of resouces to tempt people to gather them which can then naturally escalate into encounters with other players.

EVE is not real life, where assaulting another person is unacceptable. EVE is a PvP game you play because people can get caught if they make a mistake, like animals in nature. And yes, if you do get caught, it is your fault as it was your decisions that led to that point. Luckily you’re immortal, so grab another ship and better luck next time - hopefully you learned from it!

2 Likes

It’s like playing a game of chess and then being angry when someone takes one of your pieces and that your oponent is evil for having done so. I’m not sure why you feel this way.

So…you condone bad sporstmanship…This platform a is advertised as exploration, so based on that, trade and diplomacy should be the goal, if you want to gank all the time be a pirate and colored RED all the time. But to have a player stop next to a ZERO threat player turn yellow and blow them out of the sky is teaching people that violence and theft is the way of life. There needs to be a BALANCE between killers and neutral players.