Best of Us - EVE Veteran/Military Community

Best of Us - EVE Community for Military and Veterans

About Us
It’s called “Best of Us”, the name is meant to reflect the notion that we potentially lose people who could have been the best of us to a disproportionate suicide rate among our community.

Best of Us strives to build a strong military and veteran community that can reinforce peoples social support networks. By having a group of people with shared experience it can be a lot easier to find help for problems you might be facing. We have been active since about November of 2014 so going on 5~ years now.

We welcome active military and veterans from all over the world. It’s been a really great experience meeting people from all over the globe no matter the distance we usually find we have a lot in common. It’s been really good to cut through the in-game meta we welcome people from all over New Eden.

It’s been a really great experience meeting other Vets from around the world at Eve meets and on fleets as well as in channel. Big thanks to the Eve community for being awesome hopefully we can get bigger and better and have more to offer down the line. The struggle is letting people know we’re here so if you know some friends who are active duty or veterans let them know about us, it may just have a really good impact on their day to day or game play experience. The positive impact we’ve had so far has been truly humbling.

How Active are we?
Our (Partnered!) Discord membership stands at about 250~ members, with people from all backgrounds and countries. We have done small meet-ups that parallel with EVE Online meet ups such as EVE Vegas, EVE North East, FanFast, and others. Our chat channel in-game has hit over 100 active members during our in-game events, and in the past has sat around 30-40 active. Unfortunately, as EVE has changed over the years our in-game channel membership has gone down, but we are actively working to repair that.

Want to help out?
We would greatly appreciate any help spreading awareness about our group. We are also looking for FC’s that wouldn’t mind volunteering an hour or two of their time each month to lead NPSI fleets for our members who aren’t part of huge groups with regular fleet activity.

What’s new for 2020?
We now have a brand new website available over at https://bestofuseve.com If you or someone you know would like to write about their experience transitioning to civilian life through EVE or anything Military/Veteran related, please reach out to me directly and I can get you sorted.

Where can I check out Best of Us?
EVE Online Channel: Best of Us

Discord: https://discord.gg/BestofUs
Admins: Hit up J McClain at Twitter@evebestofus, or Alchemist8 on Discord at Alch#6096

13 Likes

2 Likes

Former army here. Appreciate this thank you

1 Like

Bump!

Semper Fi brother!

93-97

:smiley:

1 Like

Army vet here 1966 - 1969.

1 Like

Nice! Marines 2010-2014 here.

1 Like

Sigh.

We get one of these at least every six months. At least three perma bans on the last one because they wouldn’t jump on the same American exceptionalism myth that the CMs seem to be a large part of.

The U.S. is currently bombing many of the countries that many of the people playing this game live in. Either lock it or make a propaganda sub forum and move it there along with anything else military, religious, or political. You know…the stuff y’all are not supposed to post about, but get away with if you are on the approved list.

SMH

3 Likes

Agree, why do Americans always have to bring in their militarism everywhere. This is a global game taking place in fictitious space! I understand there are a lot of veterans of senseless wars world wide in the U.S. who have issues and need help. But please do this in your local community at home… or how about vote to get less wars. Keep eve free of earthly conflicts.
If anything we should remember all the civilian victims the wars of U.S. has caused.

1 Like

Where in my entire post did I specify US Military? We have members from the services across the world.

Keep the hate coming though, y’all salty.

4 Likes

While yes the majority of the members are US Military and the resources are guided towards that we also have members that are Canadian and UK Military. We dont discriminate and treat all Soldiers/Sailors/Marines/Airmen/Coasties like the brothers they are regardless of country of service.

2 Likes
  1. A dog whistle is as good as saying it right out loud.
  2. You want to see the real hate start? Let a Russian, Iranian, former Republican Guard or one of so many others post in here rather than the 'muricans that always populate these threads.
1 Like

Find us one and we will gladly talk to them. Over my 14 years of service I worked with people from over 30 different countries and not all their governments were friendly with ours. Soldiers fight wars. The best thing you can do for yourself is not hate the person you are fighting as its just as likely he is there for the same reason you are.

3 Likes

Why do you assume Russians or Iranians are hateful?

Even if Best of Us were a US-only group - which as has been said it is not - why do you care if a group gets together to support each other?

You mention Russia so I will use that as example. If a group of mostly former Russian military got together to support each other, would you then say they must be responsible for all Russian foreign-policy decisions? Same with the others. Seems a bit ridiculous, yet that is what you seem quite willing to do with USA-Americans.

Also, I dispute the factual accuracy of your statement here:

2 Likes

What a pile of crap.

What I am saying is that if you want to discuss this ■■■■, take it to a forum that allows it. If the OP was about North Korean, Venezuelan, or Iranian military prowess instead of American exceptionalism, this thread would have been locked in minutes.

It’s against the TOS no matter what country you side with and should be locked as I requested on day one.

1 Like

Honestly now you just sound Salty. Best of Us has been around now for almost 3 years and CCP has shown it nothing but support because we specifically dont cater to any group. Hell we dont even require everyone be a veteran to be in the group. There are people who hang out in general that are just regular joes jims and bobs that want to help the community.

I am sorry you can not seem to separate the people from the politics. Soldiers fight wars. Politicians pick them. We may not always agree with the reasoning behind them but when you step up to serve you dont get to pick and choose.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you can’t seem to follow a few simple rules on an international gaming forum.

If you really want to push your agenda, you might be able to make an argument with one of the sympathetic ISDs to have this moved to OOPE. But it in no way belongs in GD. And I’d argue that it has no place in this forum at all.

1 Like

Alchemist8,Alchemist8,
This is Grinding Beaver, This is Grinding Beaver,
BREAKER BREAKER, DIVERTING to [static] Romeo Charlie (https://forums.eveonline.com/c/corporations-alliances/recruitment-center)
BREAKER BREAKER, AUTHENTICATION @ISD_Sakimura
OVER.

ps: There is a recruitment forum where this post belongs a little more.

Moved to Out of Pod Experience, as the focus for this community is not entirely focused around EVE, but as a place for military personnel both in active service and veterans to hang around telling their story and listening to others; helping each other if need be. :hugs: -all around-

2 Likes