Burning eyes. Bloody stars

I dont really think that is the case.

its the shine that brings my eyes to hurting

id wish i could just disable the big shine or a way to reduce the starshines/light

would really help me and my eyes.

for me that star is like driving in the darkness on the highway and then a car comes in the oppesite direction with their highlights turned on its very blinding and hurting eyes.
My solution for that was actually to have sunglasses for the night driving
I just dont feel like playing eve while having sunglasses on

I dont know if this is a consequence of my eyes has been quite above average for seeing in the dark.

I just know that the shine really burns

1 Like

If you are playing in the dark with monitor only iluminating it, every suddenly contrasting object that is white will bother you. For some people with sick eyes its even painfull.

The funny thing is just how atrociously bad the physics is with this. The stars shine like a fiery, raging lighthouse, even from 30 AU away. Reality? The sun glare drops off so quickly that you would barely be able to figure out which star was the sun.

Oh, and the sun glare is bad for skins, too - you cannot see a skin on your ship when the entire screen is filled with a glaring whiteout.

4 Likes

The thing about adjusting brightness and it not being different from a white google page is garbage.

Weā€™re talking about a small point of brightness that comes into your field of view suddenly in an otherwise much darker image.

It is not comparable. Maximum brightness is not relevant, only change in brightness and rate of change in brightness. Stars are so bright compared to the rest of space that sudden exposure is uncomfortable and causes actual strain.

It also whites out interface elements that are not appropriately stoked to maintain contrast, making the game legitimately harder to interact with.

Donā€™t dismiss peopleā€™s discomfort just because you can rationalise it. Stars are too bright and glaring and could be toned down. This is a recent issue, and was not always the case.

3 Likes

Agreed, the effects are unrealisticā€¦ unless we really are playing in some kind of luminiferous ether instead of space. I know my camera drones donā€™t have vaseline smeared on their lenses, so why does it look like they do?

Visual effect team needs an education in optics.

1 Like

Apparently you didnt read my textā€¦ Hurray for goldfish concentration ability

Copy paste of line 8 and 9

ā€œI have lights turned on in the room and even then my eyes burn after a few seconds. It feels like you are looking straight into the sunā€

For a while the stars in space twinkled, too. Which of course is nonsense.

And letā€™s not even get started on how stupid god rays are and how you literally cast a shadow on vacuum.

2 Likes

I am somewhat thankful that at least explosions donā€™t have mushroom clouds even though they do have the ground shockwave.

I would pay good money for Michael Bay visual effects for EVE.

Yes, when Upwell structures and capitals blow up, they should really blow up and take out the surrounding few hundred km. :fireworks: :wink:

The explosion goes to asset safety.

3 Likes

Yeah, the glare from the suns is definitely a problem that should have been fixed right after it was first reported. Some dev wanted to show off his work on new sun graphics and went overboard with the intensity. After a few months or so (probably closer to a year) CCP said they were going to fix it. All they did was change the color tone of a few colored suns that were casting white light instead of their actual color tone. Meanwhile the excessive glare remained.

Thereā€™s been multiple threads posted about it, most of those threads got locked but thereā€™s still one active.

The worst thing about it is they also programmed the camera view so that a majority of the time itā€™s facing the sun when jumping into a system or undocking from station. And for those who say it isnā€™t bad, come to Minmatar space and check it out, especially in Rens and nearby systems.

1 Like

I have solved your problem.

2 Likes

Well, hooray for peeps that cant set their own monitors optimally? I provided link earlier.

2 Likes

I liked that link. My monitor was almost perfectly calibrated in terms of color and brightness according to the applicable tests there, aside maybe from having a somewhat difficult time distinguishing between the two darkest boxes.

I am extremely photosensitive, by the way, and if EVE stars arenā€™t making me cry like Iā€™m cutting onions, then itā€™s a good sign that you can indeed calibrate your monitor in order to make it tolerable.

Okā€¦ soā€¦ if the problem isnā€™t a big deal, can somebody please explain why we, the players, want these ultra-bright suns? You guys shoot down all the people that say it is dumb - but do you guys like the sun glare? Or are you just enjoying the rhetoric?

2 Likes

Everything that can be realistic must be realistic.

posting on a ā€œStaring Into Godā€™s Flashlightā€ thread

The sun with glare doesnt bother me. It did when I had sick eye, so I had to dim the screen. But now sun is back to not bothering me, as eye is back to norm.

They can, and should, address this in a patch, but until they do, there are some steps that users can take to alleviate the problem themselves.

People say that theyā€™ve ā€œalready doneā€ everything they can, but in reality they most likely havenā€™t, as experience has shown me. Like in the days of CRTs, when someone complained about headaches, and I asked them if they properly set their monitorā€™s refresh rate. They would say ā€œyes, of course,ā€ but actually had no idea what I was talking about, and then I showed them, and boom, the headaches went away. Similarly, Iā€™m willing to bet that at least some people who claim theyā€™ve already tried everything are right now looking at super-bright, washed-out, blue-tinted screens that could probably sterilize a toilet seat.

I mean, people are even complaining that the engine trails in the forum background image are making them go blind. Iā€™m so photosensitive that when the eye doctor shines a light into my eyes, they start crusting over, and even I have no issue looking at the image here right nowā€¦