Burning eyes. Bloody stars

So the solution is to make the game look like ■■■■.

Go CCP!!!

1 Like

You shouldn’t be running your screens at maximum brightness anyway.

Seriously, this is like when people burn out their palates by eating trash fast food for decades, and throw up when they try a homemade meal made with fresh and healthy ingredients, even though the latter is healthier and objectively more delicious.

I said something about maximum brightness?

Don’t make ■■■■ up.

Don’t use extremes as examples.

1 Like

And who said anything about making the game look like ■■■■?

This is a brightness setting issue.

I’ve had the brightness wash out my ship’s skins as well, until I updated my ingame brightness to correctly show my ship skins.

I found that for a certain in-game brightness my ship skins look best (not too dark or too bright) and optionally change my monitor’s brightness to adjust the general brightness of the game after that.

This is a question that has been up several times indeed, but I don’t agree that it’s an issue. I actually enjoy that looking at the sun is giving me a nice picture that looks like looking at the sun, instead of a single white pixel in an otherwise black background.

Don’t worry, white pixels cannot burn your eyes, unlike looking into the sun. So if you feel like your eyes are burning, it’s either your brain playing tricks on you (we’re all programmed not to look into the sun) or your monitor is too bright and your eyes would burn even more when you look at a white screen.

My panel is professionally calibrated for video and photo editing. It has practically perfect colour reproduction, P3 gamut etc. The stars are still too much.

1 Like

I think we have to do some kind of comparison test, then. Because I’m starting to wonder if some post-processing effect is increasing star intensity for some people.

Here’s another test: if you take a screenshot of a star that you find too bright, extract the center color, and then paint bucket it into a blank image to cover the whole screen, is the screen too bright? Or does it become tolerable at that point? If it becomes tolerable (it would just be a white screen, or with a bluish tint), then it’s indeed a psychological effect due to contrast.

I’m not saying this shouldn’t be changed, just that the root cause of the discomfort isn’t that EVE stars are “too bright.”

No, that doesn’t follow. Absolute brightness/maximum brightness doesn’t matter. It’s not psychological. Sit in the dark for 30 minutes, then stare at the bulb as you turn on the light and tell me that it’s fine and perfectly comfortable.

Making a comparison to a completely and consistently bright screen is just totally and completely wrong. The eye physically adapts to the brightness of a scene, and is forced to adapt rapidly if that scene or part of that scene increases in luminosity suddenly and this is both taxing and uncomfortable.

So your test doesn’t prove anything, other than that the eye adapts between dark and light and if it’s already light adapted then a bright scene is fine. Which is obvious and not really relevant.

2 Likes

at the forum there is a eve zenith add
look at the bright exhaust of the edencom ship
your eye wants to turn away . to me its the same thing
mind tricks

edit:
btw people compared to a car light in a dark road
except a car light is a F powerful light
and sure there is people here with top of the line screens with 1000 nits brightness but most don’t
and the complain is general , top of the line / shabby 30 dollars monitor … the same … my eyes

What I really don’t like is the glare, since glare is an atmospheric condition. They put in glare to make it look real, mind tricks again :slight_smile: to all atmosphere dwellers.

3 Likes

Camera drones have cataracts lol

:point_up_2:

Your photoreceptors have to adjust to ambient lighting, so your 30-mins-darkness-then-turn-on-lightbulb example is out of context because your photoreceptors would be wide open at that point and would basically be initially overwhelmed by the unexpected exposure to light until they close up a bit (like blinds), whereas being in a lit room and watching the bulb the entire time would have your photoreceptors stay at the same level. If you’ve been using your computer for a while, your photoreceptors would be more-or-less at a constant level throughout playing EVE. What Destiny is saying is “at that ‘normal photoreceptor level’, is the screen overwhelming for you?” - if so, then you need to adjust your monitor.

She’s not saying CCP doesn’t have to address sun glare, she’s just saying many gamers are exacerbating the issue with inappropriate monitor settings. I recently had to dim the brightness of all my monitors because my eyes were being murdered (strained, blurry, watery eyes all day every day even when not using the screen) and now with the new settings I still have a nice color spectrum and contrast and it’s not so straining.

1 Like

I am skeptical of your commitment, as a CSM candidate, to fixing the sun glare issues.

2 Likes

Except that’s demonstrably false. My example may have been more dramatic than plying Eve, but there is a clear change in luminosity. Dismissing this, or dismissing the experiences of people and telling them they’re just doing it wrong is basically victim blaming for the sake of some rhetoric that isn’t even really worth defending.

You’re making a huge unfounded assumption that these players are doing something wrong, and that’s absolutely unfair and unhelpful.

You know that simple things such as the colour of your eyes can affect your ability to adapt to sudden changes in luminosity. Even seemingly minor ones that don’t affect most people.

It’s fair to provide information to people so that they can make adjustments. But the statement has been made several times that “I adjusted my screen and its works for me so you must be doing it wrong” is demonstrably incorrect, a logical fallacy, and the opposite of helpful.

Try listening to people instead.

2 Likes

Brun does make a good point that a sudden change can be problematic. As in, looking at the background of a dark system, jumping to a different one, and having your camera pointed to a white star 3 AU away. I do have a feeling that this is a marginal case scenario (this is also very personal - I am extremely photosensitive normally, but EVE stars don’t bother me), and it should be fixed. There’s nothing that can be done user-side to prevent such sudden changes. Maybe there is certain software out there that can work at the driver level to normalize brightness levels on the screen? I’ve never looked into it.

And no, we’re not victim-blaming or saying that this shouldn’t be addressed. We’re just saying that it’s a good idea to take some troubleshooting steps in the meantime while waiting for CCP to address the problem. I don’t assume that everyone is doing something wrong automatically, but of the amount of other people’s monitors I’ve seen, such a large percentage was improperly calibrated, that odds ore that there are some steps that many people who have an issue with star brightness can take to make it more bearable.

Edit: just got an idea. How about those computer glasses, like the ones Gunnar makes?

It hasn’t always been an issue. If a graphical change can cause the problem, then logically a graphical change can fix it again.

2 Likes

It’s the second item on my UI/UX/NPE Reform platform. Anyone on my Discord can see the platform bulletin channels and their 300ish-and-counting points for themselves.

It’s my “Sunglasses for EVE” initiative, Codenamed “Project Xeux” - I’m doing this for YOU :sunglasses:

Easy there, :crossed_swords::bear::shield:, all I was doing was qualifying Destiny’s statement. I do in fact believe that this is an issue and that the vast majority of EVE players would continue to complain about sun glare even if their monitor/graphics display settings and even room lighting were at an appropriate configuration - my one and only point (and the point I believe @Destiny_Corrupted was trying to make as well) was that

1 Like

You are either with us - or against us!

1 Like

Posting Mel Gibson should be a bannable offence.

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

2 Likes