CCP should seriously consider removing Local from Null

We don’t generally rat in belts much, usually its the anomolies, which there are obvious preferred examples of which, and for which directly flying all your tacklers into is often fruitful, as is sending your bubblers straight to stations (ie tackling is something that is also a group exercise).

There are mechanical issues with your idea, ie ships are decloaked when they enter a system or leave it or undock, so they’ll be on local.

There is also philisophical issues in the way that you want to massively advantage the hunters chances of landing a tackle, when the hunter in null will have a cyno on it. Wormholes require effort and time to insert numerical superiority, by and large null doesn’t, so yes I should be able to decline combat by being alert and avoiding.

2 Likes

It’s not argumentum ad hominem to tell you directly that regardless of any merits, your proposal will gain no traction because you lack even the most basic persuasive ability and you use emojis like a grandma.

2 Likes

One of the things that worries me about Local removal is where all the nullbears will go. The only activity I know of that is comparatively similar in risk/reward is Incursion running and it seems to me that is already pretty crowded. I hope Winter brings a comprehensive PvE rework, so Local can be changed once and for all and with it, cloaking mechanics and the whole Intel meta.

Good decision. Arguing with an idiot (or a troll) is the same as trying to play chess with a pigeon, which will just knock over the pieces, ■■■■ all over the board and fly away thinking it’d won.

1 Like

Iam against removing local from null as long as there is no big nurf for attackers to spot victims. This would make it too easy for them.

1 Like

Well. You start combatprobes, everyone sees them on D-scan, somebody writes that in intel…And good luck to scan down even one ship in time(except he/she is AFK…). Next system the same problem. This idea goes both ways. It would pretty much kill hunting, as well as PVE and mining for everybody, who cannot cope with that. So: Less players, less content, more boredom.

2 Likes

There’s problems with that, though. The API isn’t needed at all to scan local. It’s relatively easy to have a program regularly take screenshots of the game and doing OCR on a cut-out of the member list in local. Works the same for d-scan. The fact that fonts don’t change makes it easy.

And yeah, “what about when the list exceeds the visible part and one needs to scroll?”, can be dealt with simply by setting the screen to portrait mode, which gives a huge amount of space.

1 Like

Most of the time attackers just jump into the system, check the 3 big astroid belt sites + biggest combat sites. So no d-scan for attackers and no d-scan for defenders because it would be far too late.

1 Like

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

ok , I think I have a Idea regarding local , don’t throw things yet hear me out .

So remove local but improve the capabilities of the directional scanner .

Cloaked ships can be scanned but cannot be probed down, . You cannot see what ship they are in but can see general size (small, med, large and supersize me baby signature)

Also different ship types should have different capabilities regarding directional scan. For instance a t1 frig should not be able to scan as far as a battleship for instance . Makes sense , a battleship will have more and bigger sensors than a frig. The recon ships should probs have the
furthest range all ships types but this can be debated. . Of course there may be options for new mods and rigs to improve directional scan range and detail.

The upside to this would be I believe more chance encounters due to intel being more limited for the unprepared .

cloaky campers will have to be a little more sly, the owners of the system will be aware he is there and the general ship type he will be flying .

Ratters will have to keep and eye on that scan and be alert to what friendlies are in system and what ships they are flying .

Dedicated scout ships and alts will be even more vital for fleets .

I think this would be a good thing to have on the test server, just to see how things would play out . please discuss

1 Like

Makes sense is an invalid balance factor. By the same “make sense”, battleships should pretty much insta lock anything on a grid since they can have massive scanning array installed with much better resolution.

Nobody really deals with cloaky camping on the tst server so the actual result of your change could never really be tested.

ok , but do you agree that different ships should perhaps have different scanning stats ?

Their scan resolution and sensor strength are already different for balance reasons. Removing local would only shove the problem people bitch about on a different platform. Instead of being"all my target GTFO as soon as they see me in local", it would be a combo of “All my target flee as soon as they see me on long scan” and “Why did you make it so I have to spam a command to the server to make sure my scanner is up to date every tick”.

But the directional scan is a tool which could be utilised so much more, This isn’t an attempt to appease either side of the remove local argument. Its and idea to try improve gameplay in nullsec.

We have so many variations on speed, armour , cargo space and so one between ships and ways to improve them. Why cant the directional scan be treated the same?

The changes would still give each side the opportunity to kill if the hunter , or escape if the prey.

I really don’t think spamming D-SCAN as the only way to know if someone is coming is in any way, shape or form an improvement.

4 Likes

Make local in sov null something you gain by an anchored structure. If it’s destroyed, you lose local, if not, you get to keep it.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m missing something obvious, but how does this really help at all?

It’s not the ship itself that people get scared of and dock up because they can’t think of anything better to do. It’s the cyno that’s fit and the paranoia that a fleet of “I’ll wreck you” ships are just waiting to drop on the unsuspecting, carebear ratter.

No amount of d-scan improvement will help a carebear know what the hot drop might be.

The only thing it would help with is with intel on bomber fleets.

A carebear ratter that is unsuspecting deserves to be dropped tbf .

The cyno ship itself is not really the issue , the argument has always been is this guy active or afk and can I get away with some discreet pve . Knowing general ship type does help make that decision (is this guy likely just to be a scout , tackler or solo hunter)

Also having the ability to see if a cloaked ship is moving around by playing with the range of the dscan allows you to see of he is active or not.

I agree, however I don’t think completely. I think local delay and accuracy should be linked to mil index. No upgrades means no local, each upgrade offers more info, by means of shortening the delay between local updates.

This is totally different to my reading of the endless threads on this topic on the old forum and reddit.

The big scary for carebears is whether a cloaked ship in local will result in a hot drop.

If I were a cloaky hunter, then the easy thing to do, whether AFK or not, to completely screw up this proposal until ready to drop a cyno, is to just not warp around regularly. Still no intel from that available to the locals and still the Carebears will be docked up just because they can’t see that moving 1 system over is usually a solution to their problem.