Ccp's Vampire mmo World of Darkness killed eve

i raise…

It probably would of fared like other IP did when they were brought to the MMO genre. A copy cat of what already exist and work and then survive on a rather niche player-base. Unless you think this IP is sooooo different from the other ones that it would somehow motivate designers to make something else?

One point people forget about DUST, it was developed with help from Sony. CCP had no experience in the FPS market. By partnering with someone like Sony, they gained a huge knowledge base. Yes it had limitations, but DUST was basically an experiment. And in all honesty, what other game at the time allowed console players and PC players to talk in game? As a dust bunny, I could join a chat channel, opt in to eve voice and talk to the guy bringing in the destroyer for orbital bombardment.
And it did impact the FW war zone as I recall. It was limited, but for an experiment it was a huge success. Would it be great to see it carried to PC next, yes. Does it suck that due to developmental delays it came out on a console as it was going obsolete, yes. Would it have added more cost to move it to PS4 where it would face stiffer competition with the initial release which may not have helped it it may. Still, for what DUST was, it did a lot, especially for a company who’s only released game was a spaceship submarine simulator.

Could CCP have improved EVE had they spent the money in eve instead of DUST, yes. Still, did CCP accomplish something pretty amazing, yes and for that alone, I’m glad they did it.

1 Like

Don’t forget the ventrue who are manipulating the plex market from the shadows right now. Causing plex prices to be TOP DAMN HIGH :smiley:
chews tinfoil

4 Likes

No, CCP’s cowardice and lack of a grand overarching vision for the game is what’s killing Eve.

1 Like

It was more a reference to this.

And Jovians are actually the Nosferatu…

nah, jovians are the tzimisce. they chose to look like that.

2 Likes

True…
Sansha=Nosferatu?

Dumb.

Blood Raiders = Brujah
Serpentis = Toreador
Guristas = Ventrue
Sansha = Malkavian (I mean Nosferatu maybe but these guys are nutty)

I also really want to peg Amarr with Lasombra…but I can’t.

That’s probably the most positive attitude to DUST514’s eventual collapse I’ve ever come across :slight_smile:

I always felt they did improve EVE by spending money on DUST, loved hearing the DUST bunnies in local & knowing they were making someones day a little worse by bashing their sovereignty… would have loved to see that expanded to include PI targets.

Which as a relatively poor (being new to the game) independent player with PI of his own, and no financial backing from a large corporation or alliance to hire our own DUST bunnies to defend it…

Was probably a bit silly of me :smile:

2 Likes

thanks for the link :slight_smile: I honestly wasn’t aware of that one it somehow passed me by :confused:

“Tonight we’ll run away
Speeding faster than a midnight train
Somewhere to such a place
Where the stars come out to light your face
We’ll leave behind a world in darkness
Go where no one’s broken hearted
Take off without a trace
Neon angels, up, up and away”

I think you are reading a lot into what isnt there.

The IPs themselves are very fleshed out and interesting.
Trinity/Aeon for example is great content even just for pure scif-fi nerdiness.

A great IP does not make a great MMO.

Cant make a good meal without good ingredients.

Yeah but you can still make a really crappy meal with all the best ingredients. There’s a long list of games where the IP was solid but the actual game sucked.

Strong ip can also make the product look bad… Like the last GitS movie, i’d probably give it a solid 9/10 istead of a “it was good but not awesome” 7/10 if I didn’t watch the series beforehand. Or the Witcher games, they met source material quality but the bar was really high.