Change is coming

Do people even realise that the writer of that thing, Nyphur, is a terrible carebear. Who’s ideas on anything pvp related should just be discarded based on a lack of knowledge and understanding.

People can write a zillion blogs, who then get published by a fckton of semi-clueless websites. Doesn’t mean or change anything.

2 Likes

Yes anyone can write a blog and they have little meaning. But as this was discussed in CSM with hard data, that does have meaning. I’ve seen corps disintegrate under wardec and up to 75% of (paying) members quit the game, how does that help eve?

Hisec should not be a safe zone, the risks are part of the fun for me, but equally the social side is important as well, especially to new minted players. Current wardecs are just a griefing mechanism and it needs changing.

Personally I think factions need more use, maybe a corp could draw on faction support somehow to make wardecs fairer. Just a vague idea …

4 Likes

Sweet summer child, highsec gankers don’t need wardecs to blow your stuff up :wink:

Yes, the wardec system is in need of an overhaul to get rid of the current abuse, but as long as you can deploy as many citadels in highsec as you want without limitation, we will need a much more flexible approach as the one described in the article.

For starters, i would just limit active wars to 3 at the same time. Problem solved. Wouldn’t be worth it to use your “precious” wardec-slots on a corp just for “lulz” but still make it possible to wage war on a real enemy in highsec. Perhaps add a wargoal-system, etc.

And yes, i would love to see how the “elite-highsec-pvp-corps” getting torn a new one from every lowsec corp they try to mess with on their search for new content if they can’t hide behind lame highsec mechanics. Enemies that shoot back, a completly new concept!

Well… It looks like they decided to seriously take a look at it. First time in 15 years. So maybe this time something will be done.

1 Like

Let’s hope. It’s actually the second time - there was a wardec revamp in 2012 which unfortunately may have cause some of the problems we have now.

Wars are fundamental to how highsec works. They should not have been ignored this long.

3 Likes

It’s amazing to me that someone would do that, just to screw with people they don’t like that play the same video game. I joke about how much time I’ve wasted playing EVE, but I honestly and truly hope I never have so much free time and get so bored that something like this seems like a good idea…

1 Like

What hilarious garbage this is. One post on a 3rd party site and wardecs are finished? Sure about that are you?
They cant even balance pass ECM without basically just making it not work as ECM anymore…what makes you think this will be any more successful?

The CSM is entirely clueless on wardecs. Partially because it’s not something they lobby for and mostly because none of them have any actual experience doing wardecs, or pvp outside blobbing.

What they state is factless and devoid of knowledge.

This quote from the article struck me:

It’s standard operating procedure for any corp that becomes the target of an unwanted war to practice target denial by staying docked or literally logging off and not playing the game until the war ends. I’ve long suspected that some of those players just don’t log back in again, and this week confirmation of that problem emerged from the minutes of CCP’s latest meeting with the player-elected Council of Stellar Management. CCP Larrikin showed the CSM a set of stats indicating “considerable activity drops in all activities” during wars and confirmed that “the low activity continues after the war ends.”

Anything that encourages players to stop playing should be halted or radically changed. The OP is right, it’s time for change. I wouldn’t say end wars, but it does need updating. I would incorporate faction wars and update that as well while your at it.

7 Likes

Ah, marmite, pirats and others disband and join code. in niarja and uedama to compensate their financial losses… Great move.

Isn’t it obvious? Sounds like FabRod alt #5322

1 Like

It was CCP Larrikin’s data…

Please never link or read a Massively OP article again :joy:. Probably the worst people you could ever have report on a thing they literally rewrite peoples blog posts

2 Likes

Can’t wait for all the tears of you carebears when you realize that the change will mean you get either a corp light without the ability to have any stations or to have a normal corp with some added mechanics that will force you to participate in the war, or something on that line. :rofl:

3 Likes

And yet they unanimously decided that ‘fixing’ wardecs was one of their top 4 issues going into the meeting. Why would you think large 0.0 alliances don’t know anything about recruiting new players? It’s very easy to bash them based on who they fly with, and some in the past have been less than honorable, but in general they are players like you and I who actually like playing EvE and want the game to continue.

I don’t like changing one of the core mechanics in EvE, but if it’s having as serious an impact on player retention and recruitment, then I support changing it. EvE used to grow every year for it’s first 10 years, but has been declining (or currently steady) for it’s last 5, if this is part of the problem, then it’s about time to fix it.

So in your world people never change? You think a player in his/her first month or two should understand all the mechanics and handle the financial aspects of fighting in a war they cannot possibly win? Even though they may have only 1 cruiser to their name, and can fly it with level 3 skills across the board? That somehow they can stop earning isk in PvE and/or mining, and PvP solely - and still have enough isk to replace modules/ammo/ships? Special world you have there.

1 Like

There are people you can ask. There are lots of chats and EVE-Uni that will help you. There are ressources, blogs, articles about all these aspects which are just a single $preferredsearchenginge$ search away. Yes, I expect people to understand all these things because I did these things.

Every trailer tells you the same story that you can have an impact with your insignificant existence as well as to look for people to enjoy EVE with together. If you believe that you are better off alone, that’s fine and I support this. However, especially in the first couple of days/weeks, you are making your life harder yourself than it should be. I stayed a while in the starter corp and met great people there with great advice and I had a very cool start into EVE because I also had few people telling me things and I asked questions to get answers. Yes, I expect people to do that as well and if they do not, it’s their fault for failing. I didn’t fail, I became rather successful and I still kind of enjoy EVE.

You can continue to earn ISK and run missions after you leave your corp and leave behind an empty shell on an alt on the same account that can give you corp money or other corp related things if you decide to do a solo corp. You can do the same and have a director of your corp distribute rights and money in a bigger corp, while the money earners are out of the war decced corp. Or you can stay in the corp and help other people to defend themselves by scouting adjacent systems, providing ewar like jams should someone get tackled by a lone ceptor ahead of the whole attacker pack, etc.

I expect this to take place because it is common sense, it is easy to figure out by just asking more experienced people in groups who are readily available to help you. If this is a special world for you, that is your problem not mine. All the info that you need to survive (either by attack or by avoiding) are available.

Apparently, many do not, like that clueless author of this piece on that website or the myriad of clueless people who keep complaining about wars and want them changed into even worse mechanics because they do not see the greater picture.

How about a new skill or set of skills under “Corporation Management”?
Without that skill a corp should be not able to participate or to start a war.

*just a thought

1 Like

The data simply states that a small number of people are responsible for a large portion of the wardecs. Which is true and not exactly a surprise to anyone who knows high sec wardecs. That in and of itself is an issue in that there should be MORE people doing it (but for some reason don’t), it doesn’t somehow correlate to “lol wardecs need to be removed”.

Here’s a few facts for you, based on understanding.

• due to changed mechanics (done by CCP and lobbied for by the CSM) smaller entities can’t do “precision wardeccing” any more. The result of that is that wardeccers have 2 choices. 1) stop doing it (and probably take up ganking) 2) do what nullsec does: blob and gate camp the living ■■■■ out of it

• any corp can get wardecced but it’s only the clueless ones, the lazy and uninformed for whom it poses an issue. I don’t see a problem there at all.

• any “newbie friendly” corp should probably TEACH their newbies on how to deal with it, not doing so (or being incapable of doing so) probably means those corps really aren’t that newbie friendly as they proclaim and said newbies would be better off in a different corp. Seems to me like that is a good thing.

Solution:

• limit max number of wardecs per corp/alliance. 2 for a corp, 5 for an alliance (actual numbers open to discussion)

• remove the ally system, it’s an npc replacement for the whole mercenary RP hiring thingy (because CCP hates player interaction). Apart from being blasphemy in a player run sandbox removal is also necessary to contain the max wardec limit

• if you leave a group that is at war you can’t join a new corp until the wardec ends or 7 days have passed. This works both ways, partially to prevent corp hopping but more importantly to contain the max wardec limit thingy, again. (A case could be made for this to only affect the initiator of the war, but I feel carebears are let off too easy as it is right now).

• reinstate the buddy online indicator, it’s not like anyone cares if titan pilot #4839 logs on or not. That or give locator agents an indicator (before they actually start searching) stating “target is offline, do you want to continue the search yes/no” and if the answer is no the search doesn’t actually start and a new search can be done right away.

Most of this is about containing blob wardeccing and limiting large groups in having multiple wars and hopping from one entity to another to increase their number of wardecs. This takes care of the likes of PIRAT and Marmite.

The online/locator thing allows smaller wardec entities to have precision wars again, where it’s more personal and possibly more interesting for both sides.

There, solved. You don’t need a clueless CCP, a biased CSM or an attention whoring blogger for that.

You’re repeating the same tired argument. There is no reason to convince me, as I’ve been playing since 2006 and have characters throughout EvE. I’ve been in many wars on my many characters, my biggest problem has been actually finding fights. But you’re ignoring the fact that this mechanic is hurting the game. Obviously you and I aren’t being hurt by it - but we’re in the minority it seems.

Like I said, I don’t like changing one of the core mechanics in the game, but I’d rather have EvE around for another 15 years, so will support it for the health of the game.

2 Likes

Apparently we are.

Funny thing is that EVE grew a lot more under the old war system and initially also the current war system. The war system is not really the problem. The problem are the contemporary excuses of computer game users, who got spoilt by Farmville and other sorry excuses which dare to call themselves “games”, which prevented them from learning how to play games properly. These people now try out EVE and cannot cope with an actual gaming software because they never experienced a such a software before. That is the reason why wars are an “issue” nowadays.

1 Like