Changing the sex of character

I like them a lot, along with people’s biographies they can be a really big part of the game to me. This is especially true when I’m doing something horribly tedious like endless jumping from one place to another, or, the worst case, mining.
In the case of jumping I scroll through local looking for interesting portraits or interesting names and check out their whole profile because I really have nothing better to do. This actually led to meeting one of my very favorite people in Eve, and in real life. First her portrait, even from that tiny little icon, showed a good deal of effort had gone into it. She also has an intriguing name, and her bio was the best part of it all. She joined the corporation I’m in (as another me) the same day because based on all of that stuff I decided to say hi and see who she was. She’s now our CEO and a truely great friend.
So let’s not get that stuff deleted ok?

4 Likes

They are also mostly bland or outright hideous. This can and should be fixed

It doesn’t have to boil down to those two choices though. If this were implemented it would be useful and fun to a lot of other people for whatever reason they happen to have, or just because it’s fun to mess with your appearance in Eve. This would just make it more fun.

The paid eye implants are treated as unisex. A socket is a socket after all.

I say hold out some hope. Talked to some devs at varying points, this is something that is on people’s radar.

3 Likes

Yes, it is. The OP’s reasons are as good as any. And I really don’t see sufficient reason to not implement the idea.

However, while things don’t change, we need to deal with what things currently are. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

exactly what I proposed 5 days ago, minus the reference to the length of anything :stuck_out_tongue:

with you there. If folks wanna buy potentially bad rep characters from a bazaar, that’s their choice. Allowing name changes as such would seriously compromise any defense against some of the more vicious forms of gameplay - and no, I’m not talking about gate camping, mining permit selling, etc, but stuff that can actually make people stop playing because of impact on social interaction within the game.

2 Likes

The simple counter to name change flips is, have an ‘alias’ tab that keeps track if any and all name changes that occur.

It does have its downsides as some people could actively choose to, and quite maliciously, try to refer to someone by a previous name who changed it for pretty legit reasons to a new one, but it takes away the loss of rep issue

1 Like

Perhaps we can all keep the arguments/counter arguments about name changes in the appropriate thread? [IDEA] Name Change Certificate It’s off-topic here, and risks getting discussion deleted or the thread locked.

1 Like

I am of the opinion that they are interthreaded issues, generally.

Character sex is 100% cosmetic and has impact only on the player of the character. The same cannot be said of a character’s name.

These are different suggestions and have discrete threads; please try to at least include the topic at hand in a post or it is off-topic. If all you are posting about is a topic that has another thread, your commentary is best posted there to be viewed as part of that overall discussion.

Rude comment

It most likely makes the typical game designer in CCP feel acutely uncomfortable thinking about these topics. I am a game designer as well as fully transitioned myself, and my experiences with the typical male oriented game design scene are … abyssal.

2 Likes

You’re the one that – in a thread about technical changes to a resculpt token – is literally trying to derail the thread into something completely off-topic:

…and Vekku politely told you using your own derailing language to follow the principle of Liberty – “I don’t like what you say/do but I’ll defend to the death your right to say/do it” – and quit the special snowflake whining so we can get back on topic. People are free to request features and discuss them on the merits of the feature change itself.

Anyway, on those merits, I like the idea of allowing resculpt tokens to re-pick the sex of a character. I would most likely use this capability since I haven’t touched Io ever since Incarna was released.

1 Like

Right but all of those come with a cost. It makes it costly to pick up a bad rep in New Eden. Change your gender all you want, but name changes and being able to dodge any sort of rep that your character has should come with a cost. That’s only fair. Otherwise that’s going to be an utter nightmare for Diplos, HR, etc

The discussion has brought up the idea that you could use a resculpt token to change sex as well as other character features, so although the OP did not say that you definitely have commented in such a thread.

2 Likes

From the thread’s first post:

Chill out, man - this topic is a totally reasonable suggestion, and it’s a thing that’d not just make many people happy, it’s a thing some devs have already said they’d like to do if possible.

2 Likes

Your character is a means of self expression and little else so justifying how the current system doesn’t allow him to express himself adequately seems on point to me in this instance.

3 Likes

Thank you. Hit the nail right on the head.

1 Like

Perhaps we could go back to discussing the topic instead of slinging insults in either direction. This isn’t reddit.

2 Likes