Constantly Disconnects "The Socket is closed"

Hi Sloorp,

Have you tried changing the port number that EVE uses? If you haven’t here is how. Press the windows key + R. Copy and paste the following:

%LocalAppData%\CCP\EVE\

This should open up a folder for EVE. Open *_eve_sharedcache_tq_tranguility. In there you should see a folder named after your profile. If you’re using Default then it should be called settings_Default otherwise it will be named after what you named your profile. Open the folder for the profile you are going to use. Find a file called prefs.ini and open it with a text editor. Change the port number from 26000 to 3724 and then save the file. Launch the game using that profile and see if the issue persists.

1 Like

Thanks. I will give it a try.
Did you make any progression regarding this issue?

I am still stable this the last time. Changed nothing on my side.

Hey guys. I have a similar issue. My ratting alt is stable and dont get the socket, but my 2 Scout alts gets the socket every 10-15 min if i dont do anything on it… i tried the fix of GM Mechanic and it didnt hel me… hope you guys will fix that issue asap

o/

sounds a bit different. have you tried to have the help channel open for steady incoming data stream? does this fix the issue? For us it didnt help, but we didnt have problems with being idle.

GM_Mechanic’s solution by changing the port from 26000 to 3724 did not work. The eve client keeps disconnecting, whilst other internet applications (e.g. facebook, eveonline forum, etc) remain online.

I get this too, CCP continues to claim it’s an issue on my end and they’re not responsible and they’ve refused to reimburse several lost ships when I get socket closed in warp or after undocking.

Assholes

Same problem here,

Traceroutes tells me the problem is situated somewhere in Iceland.
Stopped playing after losing a freighter thanx to this issue 6 months ago , resubbed 3 days ago and first thing I had was socket lost…
No I don’t use wifi … seems to happen more frequent when I stream netflix alongside.
However with a 200mbit connection is be hilarious if Eve would demand even more then 10mbit/s

I get this issue as well, today i scanned down a wormhole and disconnected 6 times, i tried contacting ccp and they claim the problem has to be on my end. I can have two characters up on the same computer and only one of them disconnects which seem weird if it was an internet issue.

my game is pretty much unplayable right now and i get no help from ccp, any help with this issue would be greatly appriciated

I really don’t understand why CCP doesn’t care… This has been happening for almost a decade, and has become more and more of a problem as the game has grown in numbers.

I’m from Canada, I’ve tracert from my computer… 10-14 always fail, from a VPN in UK, 10-14 always fail, from switzerland, 10-14 always fail. This is not a “you” issue that CCP keeps telling us, it’s their problem and they need to fix it. This issue has been going on for way to long.

I have 25 accounts, and I’ve unsubbed every single one except for one until this issue is fixed… it’s ridiculous, I cant go 10 minutes without one of my characters dropping. Its not even every single one, it’s random.

I highly recommend everyone to unsub until they fix this issue, and it doesn’t seem like they give a crap that they’re losing players out of every hole due to this issue.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about the tracert failing on certain steps. That’s considered normal for servers that aren’t configured to respond to tracerts/pings (Read up on ICMP if you’re curious). The problem is more of the way the Eve client handles TCP, which is not something I can see CCP fixing with a snap of their fingers. They could probably talk to whoever runs their datacenters and see if they can improve it on the short term, though.

1 Like

Same story. Same answer from GM Mechanic. Same action from ISP. None helped.

Pretty annoying to hear that problem is on my end while all other things like twitch, youtube works fine; other people from around the globe experience the same issue; and my local ISP saying that everything is ok within thier logs.

I am having the same issue and it has only gotten worse for me. I disconnect probably twice an hour at least.

I love this game, and have had active accounts since 2010, but it’s hard to justify paying for a game that I can’t play. yeah yeah I could spend tons of time plexing my own accounts …

Started getting time-outs as well when warping out to another grid or jumping. At first nothing happens, but I can’t warp or get info about anything, but eventually it will socket closed me.

Started happening in the past week. Virgin Media ISP

1 Like

Just another voice in the chorus. Traceroute gives the same failed * * * in the same places. Battles are a series of attacks where I know I’m hitting and being hit, but no updating for long periods. I never know if I’m getting clobbered or am an extra 50km away from the battle. I click on the Help channel or one of the participants to wake up communication. It’s just unplayable.

I had a ticket with back and forth with finally a note saying they got an ISP to:

“We contacted an ISP in your connection route and they have set up a static route between you and us to see if we can improve our connection with us.”

No change. They finally gave up. The ticket says “Solved”, but it isn’t.

1 Like

Does the CCP management team actually believe that this decade long problem is all because the players (conveniently at the same time) have bad home networks, and that an acceptable resolution to the problem is the ‘keep the in game help channel open to keep the connection live’ workaround (I am not joking, how on earth did this get approved for communication to the players).

Do they not consider how bad EVE’s stability is compared to other games and how that may lose subscriptions / wreck new player experience?

I pay you the compliment that you know there is a server problem at your end, and that your staying silent while you vigorously try to get it sorted…

2 Likes

I’ve recently wanted to start playing again but I ran into socket closed problem. Support was horrible I honestly didn’t expected to get the solution but at least some tips on where to look but GM jumped out with extremely helpful advise that it can be anything and then tossed my ticket into different (completely irrelevant) category so he would not have to deal with it again.

My problem mainly happens while trying to warp or jump the gate. I don’t know what to do any more I’ve tried already many things and I’m sure that this is not my ISP. I have 0 issues with other games and I’ve spend hours to make sure that there are no lost packets while playing. But it seems that my 2 accounts are not worth it enough for them to even take a look. I’m really upset with the way they treated it is it too much to at least pretend like you care?

2 Likes

Me too. My system was perfectly stable until downtime 26 March 2018. When the system came back the dreaded lost connection bug had arrived. I play with four paid omegas of which one randomly disconnects every few minutes. The game is completely ruined now. CCP tells me they are going to look at it for me but having read this thread I am not full of hope.

Ill keep you posted but suspect the game is over for me, I am looking around for other forms of entertainment.

Same here, yesterday was everything ok, today every 3 to 4 minutes I get disc.
Also I am stuck in one system, when I try to dock or to jump in another system I get closed socket message.
Considering there are few of you with this problem, I don’t think that we all have connection problems.

This has been happening to me every 3-4 minutes since the 26/3 patch. I’ve been playing Eve for 10 years and this just started after that patch.

BINGO … That is exactly when my problems started, the 26/3 patch. For 6 months before the patch I could be connected for days. After the patch just a few minutes. It is unplayable.

I have been hoping to find somebody else, it felt like I was all alone and, of course, CCP is blaming my equipment and my ISP. I have now spent hours plugging and unplugging equipment. My ISP is sending an engineer to my home to do more tests. Yet I am 99% sure this is something ccp changed.

Somebody in one of the many threads on this mentioned the UK, which is where I am. You?