CSM 15: Ikarus Cesaille | High Security, new players and corporation mechanisms

Imagine posting 4 times in a row then logging in 3 alts and posting about how you’re voting for yourself. You could at least try to obfuscate your lies a bit. Like, you do realize this is EVE right?

1 Like

I don’t think any veteran player can be so naive as to think you can exist in a vacuum in a game like EVE (even in space). EVE is a game of communities, and while you can try to play the game as a strictly PVE experience (which would be pretty boring imo), no one can truly avoid interacting with other people completely in EVE - and that’s a good thing.

In this larger community called Tranquility, we all affect each other, even if we don’t always interact directly. Even veteran players in the far reaches of Null or J-space can be affected by new players and even by Hi-Sec alliances. EVE is an ecosystem, but it isn’t a sustainable ecosystem without the influx of new blood. New players are integral, not just to the development of the EVE, but even to maintaining the game the way it is.

SiCO and, more specifically Ikarus, have been one of the greatest forces in helping to guide new players into our ecosystem and into developing diverse careers in EVE.

To help drive this point home, I can only tell you of my personal experience playing this game. I began playing the game in 2016, but I never really managed to connect with other people (even though I did join one of the big null block alliances), and I quickly got bored of the game and quit after a couple of months. It wasn’t until 2 years later that I decided to give EVE another shot. Shortly upon returning to the game I received the, now infamous, EVEmail greeting from Ikarus, inviting me to join his newbro-friendly corp, SEADC. I decided to give it a try.

What I found was a community, dedicated to giving all players, new and old, opportunities to experience the various aspects the game has to offer and the freedom to pursue whatever interests them, each at their own pace. I joined a fleet for the first time in my life and engaged in PVP warfare - also for the first time. I learned about Null Sec and Low Sec and wormholes.

Of course, my first instinct as a new player was to ask what I could contribute to the corporation - I was eager to make myself useful. However, it didn’t quite work that way. I quickly learned that for new players, the corporation does a lot more giving than taking. As a new player I didn’t have much to offer my corporation besides participating in fleets.

That changed, however, as time went by and I gained more knowledge and experience. I moved out of SEADC and into a PVP-focused corp - one of the more advanced sister corporations in the coalition. I learned to fly more advanced ships and discovered that I particularly liked flying logi. I also learned how to command fleets, and I began teaching new players, passing on the knowledge that I gained and creating new content for them.

My experience is my own, but it’s a rather common one in SiCO. I know a lot of people, including top notch PVPers, people who have gone on to other alliances and null blocks and even became prominent FCs there, who all got their start in SiCO.

So, if you ask why a null sec veteran should vote for someone who promises to help create a better experience for new players and improve game mechanics (for everyone), the answer is simple - it’s in your own best interest.

Some people may be salty about newbros who stay in hi sec instead of providing cheap entertainment and easy kills for them. I believe these people mostly pick on newbros in hi sec, not out of some noble ideal, but because they themselves are too scared and too risk-averse to go to null and fight experienced players.

I heard someone once say - in response to the usual salty ranting about SiCO - that SiCO is basically just like a giant NPC corporation. While I don’t agree with this statement at all (in fact, it shows the level of ignorance that most people have about SiCO), it does raise a good point. If SiCO didn’t exist, most of our members would probably still be in NPC corporations (or out of the game entirely). And I can assure you all of one thing: there are no NPC corporations that organize regular PVP and PVE fleets for their members with handed out ships and/or SRP; that provide support infrastructure for their members in hi sec, low sec, null sec and J-space; that actively encourage their members to join wardecs; and that doe all this with a 0% tax rate.

It’s true, a great number of our members are content to sit in hi sec and mine for days on end. I admit that can be a little frustrating (especially when we form a defense fleet to defend the very structures the miners use, while they keep mining as if nothing is going on). But we do actively try to get people interested in other activities and we provide them with the resources and organization to do so. And for a great many it actually works. It did for me.

Anyway, now that Ikarus is running for CSM, I thought I’d share my perspective on SiCO and what it means to the EVE community and to me personally. Especially since there seems to be so much ignorance and disinformation surrounding a group that is such a large part of the EVE ecosystem.

So, if you aren’t convinced by Ikarus’ innovative ideas for improving in-game mechanics, consider that the next person who joins your corp, or the next person you have fun chasing around your null block, may well have started out in SiCO - and now they are directly contributing to your gaming experience.

Remember, we may live in space but we don’t live in a vacuum - community is everything.

Good luck Ikki and keep up the good work! o7

As an Eve player since 2007, it is hard to say that there are any other games out there that create the type of community and ability to have fun with others than eve online. Ikarus epitomizes the importance and strength of growing a community and making it better. I strongly believe that everything he has done for SICO and the countless hours spent trying to make it a better playing experience for the newbros is commendable.

Thank you for being one of the players in this universe who make it a better place for all of us.

I will vote for Ikarus CSM 15.

Sir Bastien

1 Like

Having once been one of those new players being guided by SiCo leadership, I can attest to some of the difficulties Ikarus has related. I’ve since moved on to an alt, after some time in SiCo familiarizing myself with mechanics.
Once I created my second and now main account, I helped a more experienced player set up a new corp attempting many of the same goals, helping people find out what they CAN do and whether they enjoy it. Honestly, a lot of what I’ve seen of the “paperwork” of leading even a tiny corp is positively byzantine.
I see a lot of people looking down on miners. I don’t understand why. These are people trying to gain enough ISK to hold their own in whatever activity suits them. What is so detestable about that? Do you also look down on the people who grow your food?
When I was still playing as Apex Atruin, one of my favorite activities was what I called Overwatch. Simply put, keep an eye out for the mining fleet. Through this I had some great laughs, learned a bit about the economy and what fuels it, and learned a lot about the different kinds of people playing EvE.
Some of y’all have some bloody insane ideas of what it means to be a miner. And I’m gonna call out CODE on this. Your Code is some Mein Kampf level bull crap.
Flying Overwatch eventually taught me a lot about the intricacies of EvE. Some of it just doesn’t seem to work as intended. There’s a very narrow window to stop suicide bombers because one cannot fire first for fear of invoking CONCORD’s wrath.
I lost my first cruiser because of these limitations. Flying Overwatch, I tried talking to someone who’d come to the same belt the mining fleet was on. This individual claimed to be a simple miner, then told me to leave, threatened me, and then made good on that threat by calling in six Catalysts on my head.
I had no other options. There was no way to defend myself, or stop the obvious scout for suicide bombers.
There are some serious problems with highsec mechanics. However, there are some who have played long enough, and thought long and hard about the best way to inflict suffering, that they can exploit these holes.
Ikarus wants to fill those holes. And just like the changes with ore distribution and damage, people don’t like this because they don’t want balance, they want to be on top. They are focused on themselves only.
Ikarus is looking out for the whole community, even making sure that things will be balanced so that megalomaniacs will have options too.
A vote for Ikarus is a vote for the entire community of EvE.

And not like that blatantly self-serving tripe a certain individual has spewed by claiming legitimacy in a morass of circular reasoning and “proxy” claims. Why don’t you go ahead and claim rule by divine right? You’re already extorting people ye olde Catholic way by selling indulgences!
■■■■ CODE, vote for Ikarus!

as a nullsecer I would still support this as new player experience affects all of eve (we need new players to keep this game alive) and yeah the corp management UI needs some love

1 Like

@Apex_Atruin Great job making this about you.

On Topic:

I approve of wanting to make the corporate interface and management better.

Still need to do my research on the others running, But at the moment he has my vote.

1 Like

He’s not running to change any style of gameplay though (even ganking) and he’s been a staunch advocate for everyone to play Eve as they see fit. He’s running to change how new players experience Eve, corporation/community management mechanics, and remove excess procedures (PI clicks anyone?). That’s why he should be on everyone’s ballot because these changes benefit everyone.

2 Likes

Being in SEADC has been a great way for me to get back into the game. I’ve tried this a few times before, but I left again after a short while because most corps don’t help new/returning players very well.
Ikarus has created a corp with a lot of experienced players willing to help the new ones, but when SEADC got wardecced by someone abusing a bug he had filed already a year ago it seemed to me that CCP isn’t very interested in fixing corps.
Which seems weird because corporations are an important part in the commnunity of eve. If CCP won’t fix this important mechanic by itself, it seems to me it’s time that someone on CSM points out these issues to them.

1 Like

Ikarus has my vote!

Getting new players started on the right track and sending them off to high/low/null sec corporations benefits EVERYONE .

Ikarus Cesaille on CSM-15 will benefit EVERYONE .

1 Like

You say he will benefit everyone? Please explain how he intends to help War deccers.

Your question is answered in the post you replied to. If you disagree with the premise, actually post a counter-argument.

From what i understand of the organization he runs, he sends them to HIS High/Low/Null corps. Saying he teaches them and then they move on to other groups that he doesn’t have any influence in is incorrect.

No, he sends them to ANY high/low/null corp. Sure, there are coalition corps that have immediate visibility, but he actively encourages players to research corps that match what they have enjoyed, and provides opportunities to explore new types of content so they can get a fee for more than mining and missioning. The coalition does not cover every type of gameplay (realistically few or no coalitions can due to sheer diversity) - it provides enough content to expose players to the basics of the major game mechanics and a leaping-off point into the wider game.

Ikki’s platform is based on his familiarity with obstacles new players encounter trying to navigate the game, including corp membership applications (which are so counter-intuitive you literally have to give players instructions to navigate them successfully), and corp management experiences that are universal. War-deccer corps, ganking corps, etc all have to deal with these same issues when attempting to attract players or manage their corps.

Thats been known for years though, and while i did not read every word of his page he created I did not see anything specific in which he wants to change other then broad statements about mechanics and organization.

Given that CSM doesn’t have the power to make specific changes, only advocate for general areas and provide feedback on CCP’s plans, broad statements are appropriate to outline the areas for which he plans to advocate.

1 Like

That’s a potentially huge voting base you got there. What kind of voter turnout are you expecting? The similarly sized, newbro-friendly Pandemic Horde is able to translate about 25% of their member count into 1st placed votes for Gobbins. But, they probably have fewer ineligible-to-vote alphas, and regularly purge their inactive members. Regardless, it looks like you’d only need about a 10% conversion rate to be a contender. Do you think you can meet or exceed that rate? What are you doing to try to get out the vote?

Have you done any ballot trading with other under-represented groups (i.e. everyone who doesn’t live in NS)?

Do you plan on putting any candidates on the Silent Company ballot based upon your belief that they would be good CSM reps and stand a reasonable chance of being elected? In other words, is there anyone that you are placing on your ballot because you think it would be good for the game, and not because it is politically advantageous to do so?

Much like Tiberyya Za and Jurius Doctor, I also have concerns about your thoughts and expectations concerning how the CSM works. Now, I do feel like I have a pretty good grip on how you think, and what’s important to you. So, no need to reiterate that. What I want to know is why should people vote for you to be on a body that deals with a wide range of issues? Are you prepared to weigh in on whatever topics that CCP wants to address, even if has nothing to do with corp management and newbros? Why should we give you a seat at the table, when we already have representatives like Gobbins and Merkelchen -who not only have years worth of experience leading massive, newbro-friendly organizations, but who can also make meaningful contributions on a wide range of topics? In other words, why should you be on the CSM, and not on a focus group for corp and community management?

1 Like

Will be a challenge as we have no prior data of csm voting. I do not think our internal numbers are great enough to get me on csm due to a lot of our members being alphas so will need also votes outside of our own coalition. For this i hopped on the ccptv interview and have tried to make an easy to understand campaign page.

We have some friends out there that i have managed to show support for our ballot. These are mainly entities that we have had some cooperation in the past.

Yes we have found out a few candidates that share a lot of my own goals such as mike and jurius and they will be on our official ballot and i think as long as one of us gets in we can provide a lot of feedback around the same issues.

For me in order to create our coalition that holds different types of corporations in different types of areas i have needed to gain understanding of all different gameplay areas. However im not an expert of any of these areas but someone who understands the basics of them and how to get people into the different types of contents.

Different to the block csm candidates is that i dont only refer people to our own null corps and i know what kinda struggle it can be when you want to find something good for yourself outside your own community. So even when my key focus is on community management it does not mean i would not know about different types of content in eve, quite the opposite.

When i try to guide people to any content type they personally like instead of content type i or my corporation likes i need to have a wide basic understanding about those different types of contents and what they require from a new player in order that the player can successfully practice their career with that type of content.

As the last point no matter what content you deal with you always have an system behind the content and always have players that interact with those systems either directly or indirectly. I want that all systems not just corporation systems contain as little waste as possible and provide good value to the end users. A lot of candidates are focusing on specific content but im focusing more on how the content is delivered to the end user via the mechanisms.

2 Likes

I would like to get a completely rework of corporations in eve. I also wrote an rather long example post about what kinda system i would create.

However as large changes are more of wet dreams for csm members im more realistically focusing in the issues in the current systems and trying to change them so that the systems would provide as much value to the users, in other words it would be as easy as possible for players to get into different types of activities.

1 Like

Trying to fix those small but very annoying loopholes for example such as bowhead stocking or assisting war repairs or dropping corps from alliance to drop wars.

And whats most important make it easier for new player to get into hs wars and make them understand what wars in hs are and how they can provide also value for the war corps without needing 100mil sp and an basilisk alt.

1 Like