DDoS Compensation announced in The Pulse - 2020-02-21

Actually, I do, but whatever floats your boat. Not bothering to argue with someone who clearly just parrots what he’s heard about DDOS being completely impossible to mitigate.

1 Like

no one said it’s impossible, it’s just realistically not feasible for a service like an online game.

It is funnier when we all argue about the red dot. Let’s just forget about the whole DDoS thing.

1 Like

I think it should be obvious to anyone who has a brain. As well as the fact that the lost playing time should be compensated by the playing time itself. Skill points to get that you need log in every day 14 days? Is this a joke? These half-month loyalty confirmations do not look healthy several times a year. It seems that someone still considers the game more important than real life. What else to explain such coercion of players and accustoming to daily entry into the game.

1 Like

It’s just log in at any point during that two week span.

Yeah it depends on how much sp they are planning to give. If it’s a decent amount, people will take that over the lost Omega time. Logically speaking, the compensation should be the lost Omega time as players were not able to play while still paying but a generous amount of free SP will have the effect of making people completely forget about the problems and this is good pr ofc

1 Like

And in any other game where service outages have occurred, the standard compensation is game time. Should be a relatively quick and easy database query to find all accounts which were subscribed between datetime X and datetime Y as well. They definitely keep logs of it as my transaction history goes back to 2005.

2 Likes

Feel free to be so shocked over this that you rage quit.

3 Likes

Tell me please, how? Do you know how DDoS actually work?

Good BotNet uses machines form around the world. Considering nature of EVE, there is little to no way to limit access to servers without blocking actual players out.
My wild guess is that reason why many people was not able to connect even after separate attacks. Was not due to services down, but providers chopping incoming traffic like hell. Especially when using VPN was solving issue for many players.

Only actual defense from DDoS is pulling the plug.

1 Like

I can buy a large skill injector by simply doing 13 ticks on my super which is obviously more than your free SP giveaway, but i don’t need it. The ugly truth is that i’m not going to spend my ISK to buy Omega either. Why ? Because i pay for monthly sub and most importanly, i need that isk to support my corp and my alliance and help newcomers. I can’t be able to achive those while CCP stealing from my omega time and trying to replace it with skillpoints. So how about you people take your 350k SP and give back my 10 days of wasted Omega time ?

2 Likes

Stop trying to make sense! Don’t you know that in this day and age it’s not about facts and logic, it’s about feelings mostly based on uhm… nothing.

2 Likes

EVE is a service. Your comparison would make more sense if you said you rented a car for 30 days but on 5 days you could not use the car. Was not your fault. Probably wasn’t the fault of the renting company either. You still would expect to not pay for those 5 days or get another 5 days, right?

You would not be content with the car company just telling you “we are sorry, we just artificially increased the amount you drove in our books”? Free kilometers, nice! We should be grateful!

1 Like

So your rental gets caught in a snowblizzard and can’t be moved for 5 days because EVERYONE is in that same blizzard. Why on earth try to somehow blame the rental company for that?

2 Likes

There wasn’t a blizzard everyone was in. It only impacted EVE. Every other service was fine and I wasn’t stuck anywhere I literally just could not get into the car I had rented. Maybe it wasn’t their own fault their systems didn’t work correctly. But they could not deliver the service I payed for and it should be just a no brainer that this gets you that time compensated.

Rockstar had massive issues as well, at that same time. Beyond their normal shoddy coding and terrible errors many people had massive connection issues and their services (for both GTA and RDR2) went down quite often. Wargaming (WoT and WoWS) also had issues of similar nature. Heck the whole of the internet was slow, sluggish and with lots of packetloss.

It wasn’t EVE alone and even if it WAS it’s still not their fault, so why blame them and demand stuff? That’s like you being brought before a judge on a murder trial and the judge goes “well, you’re not guilty but I feel that someone needs to be punished for this crime and since you live in the same street where it happened you’re going to jail for 30 years”.

People are just hopping on the bandwagon because free stuff™.

I’m not blaming them. They sell a service and they could not deliver. It does not matter what the reason is for the outage. If you can’t use a service you payed for you get compensated. That is just how business works.

Man I would love to have you as a customer. You literally pay for stuff you don’t get and then you even go out of your way to defend that this is fine.

If it’s not the company’s fault then no, why would I want compensation from them? That makes no sense.

Well that’s fine if you don’t expect to get stuff you payed for. As I said, I would love to have you as a customer.

Yea I exagerated a few things. I kno its a niche game. But it is fine, I have seen that here it is normal to take things out of proportions

1 Like

Giving free SP is essentially a free way of compensating. Adding two weeks of Omega time onto our accounts would be fairly expensive for CCP given the number of players who actually pay for their Omega accounts with real world money. I can understand why CCP have decided to compensate in this way. It keeps the consumer happy and doesn’t hurt them financially which is also good for the consumer.

2 Likes