DED Escalation Keys

It is a very simple ideia that has the intent of increasing player interaction.
The idea is based on escalation interaction for highsec anomalies and lowsec Ded sites.

Idea
When sites escalates, everything would happen as usual, however instead of receiving the site location the player would receive a key (which could be some kind of encrypted data).
All keys would have their expiration time on their description (which coincides with the escalation expiration time) and the escalation name on its name.
This key can be decrypted or left encrypted. Both versions would be marketable via contracts. The difference is that the decrypted key would have the system of the escalation on its name, and anyone holding the decrypted key would receive the escalation location.
And, of course, the key is required to “activate” the site (like the sleeper caches are activated by hacking) and is consumed in the process.

Intended consequences
Keys would expire rapidly (as sites expire after 24h). So a centralized market in Jita would not be efficient. This would force players to look for buyers (if they intend to sell) or use smaller trade hubs.

The key is a guarantee that the escalation exists and is new. If decrypted the key also guarantees the site location, which leads to the following risk vs Reward game: Encrypted keys would be the safest, as only the player decrypting it would know its location. However you have no way of telling where the escalation was granted, so there is the risk of it being on the other side of the galaxy.
Decrypted keys would be the most efficient, however there is no way of telling how many times the decrypted keys changed hands and therefore how many people know the escalation location.

The escalations, as always have been, are not instanced and after the key is consumed anyone can enter.

Since escalations expire quickly, someone could sell decrypted keys and camp the sites location.

Conclusion

This system would give players more guarantees in negotiating escalations. Scamming is possible, but requires more effort on the scammer part.
On a side note, I think the game could use a lot more escalations that rewarded players working on different fields, like explorers receiving gas escalations, DED site leading to relic escalations, hell even mining an ice field you may find a encrypted key in ice for a combat site? But in order for any of this to work, the exchange of escalations between players need to give more guarantees, otherwise it will remain a mechanic that is only used between members of the same corporation.

1 Like

For years when I was stealing Gurista Watch and Vigil escalations from someone I thought we both got escalation location and rushed to finish stage 1 to get ahead.

Idea need some polishing but I like it.

What problems I see now:

1. Escalations depend of proximity. Encrypted keys should have some hint where they can lead.
    I suggest adding system where they was generated in info.
  2. “activation” of site makes site PvE only. No one else can join and share fun :slight_smile:
    Also some sites can be scanned usual way
    I suggest Decrypted key to just add escalation to journal

Might also consider showing constellation or region of escalation.

Also might be very important if the destination is in hi-sec or low-sec or even null is possible I guess.

They can with combat probes.

1. Escalations depend of proximity. Encrypted keys should have some hint where they can lead.
    I suggest adding system where they was generated in info.

The initial design takes in account that encrypted keys could lead to anywhere in the galaxy, this makes up for the fact that they are mostly safe. Also, since they expire quickly, they would most likely be put to sell near the place where it was found. I even think that this would be the preferred way to trade them, as people usually goes safety before convenience.

If it needs more information, I think the idea from @Uriel_the_Flame is very good too, to show the sec status for the destination.

1. “activation” of site makes site PvE only. No one else can join and share fun :slight_smile:
    Also some sites can be scanned usual way
    I suggest Decrypted key to just add escalation to journal

“Activation” I mean as in sleeper cache sites. In these the gate is locked until a can is hacked, once the gate is unlocked, it is unlocked for everyone. The rest behaves exactly as it already is, anyone can combat probe someone in the site and warp to the initial gate. There is even the downside that the previous owners of the decrypted keys do not even need to scan it down, as they would have the signature in their agency already.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.