Dev blog: Abyssal Deadspace - What Lies Beyond The Filament

How many Jita scammers and people that never undock do you kill with your scans?

1 Like

There are rooms in current PvE that you can’t be followed into, and not stuff that’s recent. Bonus rooms, some tag extensions, and all sorts of forgotten neglected bits leave you in places that if you are scanned down your would be assailant is stuck on a locked gate with no real options.

Regarding PVP around these sites, I’m more and more for the option that it should happen outside of the sites.
If CCP fixes the problems with that, which are currently on SiSi.

Imagine PVP inside these sites, especially higher tier sites.
Even if only Cruisers and 1v1, it will be weird. For the attacker because they don’t currently know which tier/type of abyssal deadspace the “abyssal trace” is connected to. Remember local effects in these? Kind of bad if you wouldn’t know what you get into.

And then there are the NPCs. In high tier sites they will be all that matters. Wether or not they switch targets, will be too powerful of an influencer. If they do switch, the attacker is at the disadvantage of not knowing the local effects beforehand. If they don’t the attacker wins easy, but then will be possibly stuck in there as well.

Which then would lead to the only logical conclusion for an attacker, which would be: bring high alpha damage, in empty pod and insured t1 cruiser and hope that you get a shot at the site runner before the npcs switch targets.

Ergo, currently, PVP inside high tier sites would not even be interesting.

@ISD_Buldath talking about Abyssal Deadspace, may we have our thread back? I get you’d probably prefer the thread to be buried and done, but we were discussing specific things like SiSi testing and such that I think don’t belong in this Dev post discussion.

Plus I was expecting you to actually keep track of the time and properly open it when you said you would. As an ISD I suppose you have some incentives to be true to your words, right?

inb4 I get flagged for out-of-topic.

3 Likes

And how is this question related to the topic? You sound like somebody who got scammed in Jita, else nobody cares or just takes the Jita local as it is, entertainment.

You are right, but it’s not your choice, and systematic, as not all complexes are locked that way, and you have to travel in order to get to the next exposing you to the sandbox. With filaments you can sit all day in your home system and chain run Abyssal space pockets without moving if you want.

This is basically playing video games while sitting in the basement in a video game.

1 Like

This
x 100000000, but not ECM, no cancer! :smiley:

Unless your drones are pink, it’s “Rogue”, not “Rouge”.

1 Like

Working as intended. Someone runs non stop to not be catched, untill he must go to toilet and bam, he dead in abyss or cant be arsed to do it any longer and resigns, trying last time to escape with loot amassed from all filaments and is catched outside with ALL LOOT by cloaked tech 3 cruisers or hotdropped by stealth bomber and bunch of Sins. Meanwhile there are apocalyptic fights around the filament, where people camping are fighting those who also come camping but are enemies of those who camped first. :smirk:

3 Likes

Nothing of this will happen. In highsec the runner will just sit out the 15min suspect timer in a lvl1 filament … and in other space players will run in their staging, locked down wormhole, just safety on your own choice.

You know what happened when players were allowed to place ESS wherever they want?

BTW what happens when you open a filament in deadspace? Combine gate locks with filaments …

2 Likes

I thought about low sec writing this. You mean you can run high level flaments in high sec? In such case its indeed nonsense to have a suspect flag for these filaments as people could indeed wait it out in low lvl filaments.

1 Like

Wait, seriously? Is this a thing?

No restrictions where you can start your journey for any of the levels, just this suspect Placebo for highsec.

You’re assuming you have a good chance of returning from a F4 or F5 filament. As it stands right now, this is a slim prospect.

1 Like

All things considered, looks like something I would give a try after a few months to see how they work and learn from other players how to beat them… but alas! they’re nothing I would do without a steady income source from Agent Missions, a content CCP has not expanded with new missions for 7 years and I can’t beat to keep doing it without seein some new missions each now and then.

So I am not playing EVE Online because CCP doesn’t develops the content I like, and thus all the new content they throw into the server is no less than a waste of time in regards of earning my money.

Also, by the way, I don’t feel that complex puzzles with one and just one solution work well as PvE, based on the endless string of failed content in this style. PvE players appreciate simple puzzles approachable in a multitude of solutions, which is more sandboxy than finding out the checklist to solve the new “challenging” PvE.

If Filament 1 and weather 3 then use ship C with fit 4. Bring anything else and you will die. Enjoy your sandbox.

Also: this is how enjoyable PvE looks like, CCP style. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

This can’t be emphasized enough, I’m preaching this for months. The harder and variable a puzzle is, the less options you have to solve it, because you must prepare for all possibilities with the one ship/fit you bring, if there is no exit button once committed.

3 Likes

You know a bunch of things before you enter the site, most importantly Tier and Type. With enough practise or testing on SiSi when the stats are finalized, you’ll know what you will have to expect and what won’t happen. A properly fit Gila won’t be volleyed off the field in the lower tier sites. And so on.

If the high tier sites were simply farmable without challenging the pilots in their already acustomed approach to PvE, an important part of the concept behind Abyssal Deadspace would not be realized.

Right now PvE is simply a question of how many clients can you run at the same time to maximize your gain from running completely mapped-out content. Essentially this makes PvE boring for people who want it to be a challenge and it always favors grinding over brains.

1 Like

The design philosophy on these things is flawed and I fear they are going to be a huge failure. You can’t balance something with a tight timer that also has RNG spawns that can be vastly different from each other in difficulty. This isn’t even including badly designed “instadeath” spawns that no cruiser can really complete. I hate to see so much dev time wasted on something that is, in all likelihood, going to cause nothing but problems.

I see people mentioning “challenge”, but the RNG nature is not a challenge. I’ve been running these things on Sisi and its possible for the same ship in the same level/type of filiment to finish with 10 minutes left, or literally be unable to win because of the spawns. When the outcome is determined by which RNG spawns you get, it is not a challenge, and is not worth the risk after the novelty wears off. On top of that, the rewards are a second level of RNG that will often just brick the mod you use them on and be useless anyway, so I don’t see the reward being there.

Some spawns are effectively “you die” right now, and I don’t see CCP changing that in half a month. Esp since there has been very little useful communication on our feedback.

5 Likes

Sure, but this is not the majority of players in the game but a tiny niche group (educated guess).

Tried with munnin + web (+strong drop) and it couldn’t track the frigs even near a short range multi tracking pylon… while medium drone’s (gila) are 1 shotting these thing’s with out any web assistance… Feel the love.