Dev blog: Abyssal Deadspace - What Lies Beyond The Filament

Fantastic coding quality CCP. Now you close the client without any notice when you take a wormhole. You will probably do that to triglavian space, too, to increase ship sales, right? Good job.

it’s called a feature m8

3 Likes

They could simply make it so if the timer run’s out you get spit out back to normal space, this way if your not fast enough you miss out of the good loot at the end but you don’t loose 500mil-1b for an atempt to get 60-80mil loot xD

As If I’m understanding right t5 loot is 4x that of t3 which would probably end up something like 15-20mil since lot’s of people will be running them.

If T5 had unique loot thou (not sure if it doesn’t already) then at least that unique loot will be valuable otherwise everyone will jsut farm the lower tier’s to get all the item’s.

2 Likes

From my experience T5 is suicide. Hell even some T1 are suicide. Either this is the phase they make it too hard so they can balance or some of these sites are going to be near impossible. Only the extremely rich are going to be able to afford to run the sites that pay well as it is.

3 Likes

Ran T5 in a fully skilled up muninn with 2x strong drug’s and no negtive’s that had any effect with full head of implant’s and still that tank went down so fast, the only thing I can think of is if they used X-type resi modules and repairs so these fit’s would be 3bil around to run a t5 successfully and then if you make 1 mistake your still dead xD.

2 Likes

Its a trap!

2 Likes

ZI question the motivation and the logic regarding the 20 min “death timer”.

What value does this add other than placate those who argue about whether instanced PVE should exist at all. It may have quietened down the CSM, but what value does it add to those running the sites, or wishing to?

If you fail you die, might sound good to a marketing geek who has never played the game, or someone who can generate free ships at will, but for players? Do you realise that losing ships isn’t actually fun when you have to replace them? That concept will only discourage people from running them.

Now, a small risk is certainly going to add a frisson of excitement, one can argue rightly or wrongly that makes things more real, but the current random nature, locked into a fit you select BEFORE you know what RNG Jebus is going to drop on you, coupled with a time limit, the feasibility of which also has a randomness to the time required to complete, and escape, means death is a regular certainty. Now, having the loot container blowing up after 20 minutes makes sense, Not Having time to escape with the loot is one thing, just killing the player is frankly lazy.

So I question as to whether you have actually thought through the consequences and affects on players psychology.

I do hope that you have significant changes in the pipeline, otherwise an otherwise amazing design and opportunity is going to generate, anger, rage and frustration, rather than excitement and delight.

3 Likes

When I first heard of a site time limit, I thought “ok… I either win the loot, or I’m EJECTED from the site with nothing.” Ship destruction arrived in my head a few minutes later.

It does seem to me that T1 & T2 could have lesser penalties for failure, such as a longer time limit or escape gate, or no time-limited impending ship destruction, to help introduce the feature, more than just weaker NPC’s. (At the same time, I expect game designers want to keep the rules as consistent and simple as possible across the tiers.)

4 Likes

Well put…

…glad It’s not just me.

Last ship/structure drops loot if you complete it in the time frame or you are spat out with no loot is the best idea I have heard as yet.

If CCP don’t want another repeat of the participation levels resource wars generated that is.

5 Likes

.It is hard to rationalise, but there genuinely seems to be an attitude within CCP management that dying pointlessly is somehow fun? And this encourages one to try again??

They seem to gloss over that this “20 Minutes of game-time” transforms into a two week grind to replace what just got sacrificed to the RNG gods.

EVE is real, and the costs of failure are High, and one suffers for it. Causing players to suffer ship loss and the replacement grind, purely to say “yarr it’s hard” is simplistic, lazy, and shows no respect for those who would participate.

Until this attitude changes or is cured, all PVE introduced, no matter how good, how imaginative, and how beautiful, is doomed to die at birth, and that’s a tragedy.

I hope from the bottom of my heart, that this isn’t the case. But it is getting progressively harder to keep faith.

7 Likes

The more I think about it the more getting spat out after the time limit sound’s fun, imagine being in that last room and you messed up and your heavily tackled and getting neuted and all your module’s are slowly burning out while your hull is being scraped away and you see 5 seconds remaining and your barely holding on to the bitter end and wam instance ends you get spat out on 5% structure… that would be an amazing feeling even if you got no loot that time.

4 Likes

It’s not very EVE like though.

EVE is about Creation AND Destruction.

I feel like one of the intentions of Abyssal Deadspace is to effectively get some more ships destroyed, especially when it comes Tier 4 and 5. In that case, what they need to do is make sure the rewards are worth the losses.

To those who worry about the experience of losing your ship to the timer. The answer is simple.
Do not do tiers you cannot afford, if you cannot afford to lose a dozens HG implants do Tier 1 and eliminate that possibility, many in the game can afford to do so, that content is for them.

1 Like

Fair enough I guess, but remember this content is ridiculously hard for some of the best pilot’s on server imagine what happen’s when the avg pilot flies them, this amount of complaining now will be nothing in comparison to what it will be.

Most of us here that are testing it on Sisi will be fine when it come’s out on TQ because we already know what kind of risk’s we will be willing to make but the general public are going to have a hernia xD

2 Likes

They just wont do the sites.

Lets also not forget that being able to afford high losses is not the same as being willing to loose them needlessly.

3 Likes

I do hear what you say, but dying to the rats, because you made a mistake is one thing, dying because you got a random spawn that no ship can survive in the time allocated is quite another. Randomness is good, when it doesn’t overwhelm, skill, experience and tactics should be the defining reason for a loss, not an algorithm that decides 50% of perfectly fitted, flown and skilled ships will die. There SHOULD be risk, loss of rewards, win absolutely not guaranteed, interesting and engaging gameplay, and punishment for poor play.

However jumping in and rolling a dice for a predetermined death, isn’t good design.

And surviving, but just, at the last moment, failing to grab the loot, and spat out in deep structure, will get the blood pumping and make one do just one more. To try again.

Blowing up through no fault of your own, won’t do that.

Remember, it is a game, not aversion therapy.

3 Likes

Also: Imagine the newbro who finds his first filament in a data site and decides to run it in a bad fitted caracal with low skills.

If even PVE veterans have trouble surviving and now and then die in deadspace fitted HAC’s?

Great job scaring of the few new customers. :wink:

1 Like

The levels should lead one in, step by step, where one learns, refines, and moves up the ladder until one can handle the hardest.

This is good design, it stretches the participant, encourages improvement and engagement, and the player comes back for more and more.

If it overwhelms, or kills the player in such a way that the only lesson is “there was nothing you could do to survive that anyway” and “wait long enough and someone will post the only possible ship/fits and tactics on eve survival.” “And with the RNG, the rewards vs ship loss have a 15% profit over loss over time.”
Rather than allowing the player to learn and discover for himself without automatic defeat.

Then the designer has failed.

It’s really that simple.

So which one will we get?

2 Likes

Maybe content should be delayed another month or so, I feel like first impression for these when they hit TQ are going to be what count’s no matter how much it’s fixed in the future if it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of everyone that tried it for the first time, then they will be unlikely to give it another try.

2 Likes

I took a screenshot I do not know whether it turned out or not? https://savepice.ru/full/2018/5/20/00ac5385115a68b4a21cc1df247b099a-full.jpg.html

Abyssal = A good idea. :ok_hand:
New ships = a disgusting idea :fu: