Dev blog: New Alpha Training Option

I think @max is saying that this new demand will put pressure on the market, driving up plex prices. I personally doubt it. I really don’t think people will use these all that much, not compared to the overall market size. I think right now the stance is, either sub or don’t play. Even with the skill changes, I still don’t think these will get used all that much. As it is, with the supply/demand equation, supply is essentially unlimited already, price is set by what the market is willing to bear. For EVE to transition to full f2p, CCP has to put in as many plex sinks as possible, enough to fund the game enough to not require subs at all.

yes that is kinda of what im saying.

@Nevyn_Auscent if i was to become that sort of player what would i care who paid for the plex for RL cash, as long as i no longer had to, and could skill my characters up without ever having do so ever again?

But you already can do that. It’s called plexing your account for monthly omega status. And is cheaper and better than your convoluted alpha injector example.

So anyone prepared to do that sort of grind already is. So there won’t be a massive upsurge

1 Like

Completely agre with you. I left eve 6 years ago and now was thinking about to return. I love eve because of it difficult and deep. Now i’ll think 100 times before i buy subscription for 6-12 months because of this buy to win system. We all know what can F2P (buy to win) model can do.

So sad that my game of dream is going to be dead in 1-2 years…

I was really impressed when i first log in after 6 years break and realise that you can actually play without subscription being “alpha”. You have resonable restriction on skills (i have 23kk total), and i consider to buy 1 year of omega. But now i saw all of this and idk…

Oh just jump back in, you know you want to. Try not to think of me as some little demon whispering sweet VNI shaped nothings in your ear…

2 Likes

Sorry but if you had actually read my post - You’re wrong.

I am comparing these new injectors to the existing mechanics, where the only difference is - One injector is created from a player who has previously trained X skills as an Omega and decided to extract them for sale. The other is created by CCP and is made up of skill points that were not previously trained by anyone.
One injector is created because a player decided to extract skills they had previously been trained at X SP p/h and make them available with the use of an extractor for another player to use in the form of a skill injector. The other is made up of skills that never existed prior to CCP creating them.

And seriously - Why is it you choose to use available information selectively when posting - Omitting information doesn’t make you right - It does as a supposedly informed CSM make you look foolish.

How much will they cost?

We are planning to sell Daily Alpha Injectors for 20 PLEX each in the New Eden Store and directly on secure.eveonline.com in a range of packages with pricing to come at release. They will also be available on the in-game market where we expect ISK prices to be well within reach of an active Alpha.

Directly via “secure dot eveonline dot com” will play a far more important role in the cost than the NES price of 20 Plex.
IF the NES was the only way to purchase these injectors, then yes CCP have set the price but as they intend offering bundles via Account Management, the price and cost to traditional SP farmers is still unknown…

I also find it hard to believe an “active” player with less than 5 mil SP can easily make 60 to 70 mil per day in reasonable time. Telling a new player he or she needs to dedicate 6 to 8 hours per day to pay for an injector isn’t really all that attractive.
Low level missions, lvl 1 and 2 don’t pay enough to generate a viable income, lvl 3’s are slightly better but require better skills than much of the target crowd will have.

People asked how long it would take for CCP to start selling SP packages when injectors were first talked about - As it turns out, it didn’t take long at all…

1st comes 50K “packages” - then 100K packages and so on, until the in-game injector market (the only way SP will be sold [ what a joke that was]) is completely worthless

2 Likes

Ahaha) TY for advice!

I really wanna jump in, but i prefer to put my time in smthng big and stay for long. This step that devs take to SP for real money repels me, because i know what FtP model can do. I just don’t want to hardly put my time in EVE and then, after 1-2 years, realize that this game become buy to win ■■■■.

I do not insist on my opinion and do not argue that this will happen. I really do not want this to happen with a game like this!!

I understand and share the p2w concerns, but I take a simple approach. I just don’t buy any of the extra shite.

This also works wonders in Star Wars: Battlefront II. I’m having just as much fun playing using the crappy standard stuff as I would using the paid for ‘Hero’ stuff, because the game mechanics are the same and I only care about the fun, not some arbitrary meaningless battlepoint score.

1 Like

You might want to go back, read my post and try again.

The difference is;
Currently Skill injectors can only be created from EXISTING skill points. Skills trained by a player extracted and sold as injectors - These skill points DO NOT come from thin air. The new injectors are created by CCP, adding skill points to the game that did not exist previously - Something CCP said would not happen when extractors, injectors were first introduced…

ALL sp comes from thin air. You think there are SP mines being dug up by 3rd world orphans somewhere? Hells no. It’s magically produced by CCP. Supply is already infinite. The key limiter of SP supply is time and money. Not effort, not work, nothing but an arbitrary limit decided by CCP long ago. These new injectors have absolutely zero effect on the rate of new SP being added.

Excuse me, but they don’t care about you anymore)) They care more about broes that come for 1-3 month pay some cash and leave, just because 50k+ online gone now and it is less core mambers now. So why they need to care about core comunity now if newcomers (1-3 mb 6 month playing guys) can give them more cash then oldguys (is allready have good amount of SP and can earn for omega with only ingame credits).

Instad of doing this SP from air it will be more sucsess, i belive, if devs increased the reward for attracting new pilots into the game, which would subsequently pay a subscription. And if they think about some new reward system with more benefits from subs that you which you brought to the game (mb benefits for corporations as well).
Such an approach would ensure interest in attracting new pilots to the game by key members of the community. It would also be good to come up with bonuses for training new pilots.

But instad we have what we have. I think it is a wrong direction and i wish i’m mistaken, but the general practice of “free games” usually shows the opposite…

3 Likes

Seriously you’re not getting it.

If I set my queue and train for a day… where do the skill points come from for that day of training? They come from thin air. they are generated not from another player… but as a result of 1 day of training on my omega subscription.

So for 30 days worth of skill points… I pay for 30 days of omega for those points. 500 plex. Those points are generated from nothing by me paying for omega status.

Now let’s say I’m a maxed out alpha. I buy 1 days worth of skill points in an “alpha injector”. I’m only allowed to inject 1 per day. Where do those points come from? The answer is they come from the same place omega skill points come from. CCP generates them from nothing.

So if I wanted to get 30 days worth of skill points using alpha injectors… it would take me 30 days (since I can only inject one per day). I would have to pay CCP 20 plex per injector… so it would cost me 600 plex. It would take the same amount of time as going Omega for a month… and would cost me 100 plex extra… for the same number of “CCP generated” skill points.

Again… this is just math. I’m thinking you’re not understanding the variables.

CCP generates the skill points you train for. It doesn’t matter if they give you X number of SP per minute… or X number of SP per day (in an injector). The source is the same… CCP. The only thing that lets injectors be used to give players a head start using regular injectors is they can inject 100 at once if they choose. The alpha injectors are limited to 1 per day and only for alpha players.

4 Likes

I know how that works

99 little bugs in the code
99 little bugs in the code
Take one down, patch it around
127 little bugs in the code…

2 Likes

Why dont afla’s get sentry drones?

Seriously - Do you have ANY understanding of CONTEXT or are you just stuck in your oh so simple mindset?

You completely disregarded what I was referring to and posted the same rubbish you have before…

READ my post and see if you can respond to it IN CONTEXT…

Again… this is just math. I’m thinking you’re not understanding the variables.

I’m SURE you don’t understand what “context” is, ignoring the variables is something you excel at. Or do you simply choose to ignore what is written when posting replies?

Question for you - What is the difference between current skill injectors and the new ones CCP plan on releasing?

Why is CCP telling lies about the new Alpha skills?

With this release, capsuleers can enjoy an event catered toward the newfound power of alpha clones, that celebrates free access to battlecruisers and battleships, and provides rewards themed around them.

Arms race event - Is a scam, it is a lie, it is straight out false advertising.
There is no way to get “free” access to battlecruisers and battleships as an Alpha…

3 Likes

Yes there is. You can get into a battlecruiser or battleship with only 5M SP.

2 Likes

Going by what is in the blogs, you can’t train Omega skills as an Alpha.

Although Alpha’s will have access to battlecruisers and battleships, those skills are still Omega. The “Alpha” skill set is only changing to being able to train any or all of the 4 factions up to cruiser without a subscription or the use of current injectors…

As an aside - Even if a brand new Alpha could train into a battleship for free, how long would it take?

A brand new Alpha - without training any support skills, just the minimum ship and basic gunnery skills will take roughly 19 days to get into a battleship. (With an optimal remap)
Of course then, how long is this Arms race event to run for?

Have you even taken a look at which additional skills are added to the alpha line up? CCP put a blog up weeks ago that had a listing of what the new Alpha skill-set restrictions would be at the very end of it.

Assuming that you actually care to have the proper support skills though, the “new” players flat out cannot use a BS effectively within a two week window. Hull Upgrades V alone is going to be a real slog for an Alpha because of the doubled training time. And anyone who dares to fight with their BS without bringing T2 tank and as much support skills as they can get their hands on is going to be in for a bad time.

However since the event is to celebrate both BCs and BS access? No problem at all. Taking a fairly skilled current alpha who has decent cruiser skills into a BC is just a matter of about a week to get a few ranks in and the mid sized weapon skills already acquired all apply.

1 Like

Just want to chime in as a current returning player who is in Alpha.

The expanded Alpha skills is greatly welcomed. My main already has an excess of 70m SP, so being limited with current Alpha skills is boring as hell. The expanded ship variety and T2 weapons will definitely make it more enjoyable. This will definitely be a boon to returning players with excess of 20m SP especially those with lots of subcap skills that can’t be used at the moment.

Also I want to add, having an alt with less than 1.5m of SP, it is quite easy to earn excess of 100m a day doing exploration and another boring method is by FW plexing with stabs. Combat skills not required. Traditional newbie methods of mining and missions is out of the question if time is a factor.

However the new skill injector will be worthless to me unless I intend to increase my alts SP on certain skills that I am not willing to wait. In my case I rather just buy 500plex for omega.

Newer players however might be tempted for the new injectors if they want to expand their skills above 5m. It is definitely a more expensive method but more accessible if isk is an issue as it normally is for a new player.

Edit: I like to add that by allowing Alpha to use the faction cruisers due to skills expansion such as the Gila and VNI and the ability to us T2 med drones and heavy T1 drones, it is more likely they can ‘rat’ more efficiently and will be future Omega subs. Thus will increase overall plex demand.

3 Likes