Dev Blog: October Balance Pass!

anywhere is fine really. except collecting dust in hangar. like every ecm hull bonused ship will b after these changes

1 Like

I find ECM to be useful for Mining and Transport ships, they don’t have that much in DPS to kill the attacking ship so ECM to scape was a good solution. I have use ECM ships too and if you are still going to be able to target the ECM ship, then its going down fast they are paper thin, more so than bombers. I run gristas sites and for the ECM counters I use, drones, sensor busters and auto-target missiles. I’m ok if you can keep the target lock but no offensive module should be able to target the ship so when the effect passes u can counter-attack. Other wise whats the point of 1v1 or your just making it fleet only module.

oh yeah, how ridiculous is it that suddenly an entire npc race’s ewar for mish has been utterly scrubbed?? unless theres more than 1 jammer, then they will still be a pita. >.<

try a sebo with eccm script vs guristas, and look into the t2 or t3 hulls, which usually have a higher base sensor strength to start with. ive never used fof missiles personally bc the other counters have always gotten me by. sometimes its best to just snipe things from so far away their ewar is largely ineffective.

As discussed a few hundred posts ago. Ecm ships can tank. just right now people put nothing but ecm on them. you are going to have to balance your fits instead.

1 Like

what other combat ship classes have a hull bonus as common as the ecm hull bonus, that is Entirely ineffective in a 1v1 scenario?

Not that easy.

I’ll start by saying I’ve flown a Falcon under an FC that gave me a fit. For the mids,I had three jammers, prop mod, rest was tank. Those three jammers were all faction multi, because there wasn’t enough space to fit four jammers and a decent tank.

That’s the first big problem here. An Arbiter can fit one tracking disrupter for guns, one for missiles, and use whichever is necessary. Because of the way ECM works as a racial split, you are immediately gimping yourself to more probable failure of any effect by using multis instead of the proper racial jammer. And with jamming, there is no “almost”, like horseshoes or hand grenades. You either hit or miss.

The second big problem is that ECM ships are already flimsy and the primary target first and foremost. Put all the tank you want on there, everyone’s gunning for you first. So your tank better be something special and you should pray to RNG that there’s a few misses in the opening wave of enemy fire so you can catch reps. Second, your equipped defense, the ECM itself, will now do nothing to mitigate that incoming fire, which is exactly the point of damps and weapon disruption.

So you have a line of ships that have to use twice (and up to four times) as many midslots for their EWAR as other factions, the same midslots competing for tank and other utility. And even if your EWAR works on the target, the target is going to shoot you unfettered anyway.

The only way to mitigate this is to scrap the racial jammers and up the multispec jammers to full racial strength. Then an ECM boat can use just two slots for their EWAR, putting it on roughly equal footing to other EWAR ships.

Even then you’re still dealing with the complete inability to effect any incoming fire, so if CCP really wants to put ECM on equal footing, they’ll need to up the ECM strength even further (by a factor between 10-20%) so there’s a much better chance of taking out those logi locks.

Logi ships have high sensor strength to begin with and in my experience typically DO carry the SEBO with ECCM script. So they’re very difficult to jam. If everyone wants to put their money where their mouth is with “ECM is there to jam logi”, then it needs to be a high chance of success. So either up the jam strength significantly, or cut logi sensor strength in half. Otherwise there’s no point in fielding an ECM ship.

2 Likes

last time inties attacked me was funny as hell. even the combat ones pop quickly

the thing is the ECM “adjustments” are for those we’d classes as "noobe’, “idiot”, “moron”, etc… and those on the Council that want to shift balance in their favor and screw to game balance.
these are standard real-world things.

though from a balance point of view there was nothing wrong with it, maybe a few minor adjustments to specific things that have been voiced over the years.

the thing is anyone using ECM modules are sacrificing slots to mount them, and the same is true of those intelligent players that mount ECCM modules.

the only time these modules give a benefit is in one of two situations;
one: you’re the only one with the module/s mounted, so you sacrificed a slot or two to get a leg over your enemy
two: you’re in a fleet and what you’ve sacrificed benefits the fleets operations.

so yip the ECM “adjustment” is a joke of the worse kind.

and the Precursor “adjustment” is just as bad, remove a lowslot which allows these ships to cover the short-fall in CPU and Powergrid, to gain the “suggested” extra midslot.

yes the extra mid-slot is great, but not at the sacrifice of limited lowslots on an armour tank focus faction ship is completely stupid.

if CCP plan to bring this to the live server (yes it’s already on the test server, and yes I’ve played with it), I hope they counter the power and CPU issue for the lost of the lowslot, many have questioned why not use a highslot instead.
though using highslot just opens up another can of worms, this does raise the question where’s the missing 13th slot that all frigates have?

compared to the Amarr Punisher or Gallente Atron, the Damavik is well below the slot allocation.

Punisher 4/2/4/3 = 13
Atron 4/3/3/3 =13
Current Damavik 3/2/4/3 =12
suggested Damavik 3/3/3/3 = 12

and the Naval frigates, before anyone brings up what I found out in the Triglavian tech topic which highlights the Percusor ships are akind to Naval version ship and the Hydra and Tiamat are specialize faction ships (Covert Ops and Force Recon), the naval frigate mostly have the 13 slots also, unlike the 12 slots the Damavik has.

for more proof;
Vigil Fleet issue 3/4/3/3 = 13
Caldari Navy Hookbill 3/5/2/3 = 13

And strangely the Hydra has the same number of slots as all other Covert Op ships with 14 slots
Hydra 4/4/4/2 = 14
Pacifier 4/4/4/2 = 14

There are some standard frigates with as low as 12 slots and other up with 14 slots, the average standard for standard frigates is 13 slots. Faction frigates are 13 slots average.

@CCP_Falcon is there any reason or information on these changes, as in what benefits are to be gained, how does these effect current game balances, in a positive or negative way? Why are are these changes being made with no research been done into what effects these changes will do.

has CCP stuff up their own design balance???

1 Like

When this happens in high sec they run away laughing spouting something about some Guy called James. Maybe if you ask the nasty inty gangs pretty please they will sell you a permit that will stop them being mean to you .

3 Likes

This analogy would make stealth bombers submarines as most sub attacks were surface attacks (de-cloaked) and inty fleets would be the PT boats.
When PT Boats catch a capital ship with out a support group this happens

Agreed on the jam part. So let’s focus there. It’s time for scripts to replace racial jammers. Since ecm ships are for the most part you are going to only have 1 or 2 jammers now. And they will need more power.

It is most likely that it actually is everyone … *looks at CSM*

So you CAN lock AND fire on the ECM ship that is jamming (or not if the change happens) you. Whilst still poor design I can understand the locking up of a ship, even though it goes against the conventions of jamming, but not be able to fire on it.

Wouldn’t it be easier just to reduce the effectiveness of jamming so the chances of perma jam are lower, yes it is frustrated being jammed and not able to do anything about it but if you can lock and fire at a ship thats jamming you, then they are not jamming you.

Yes they are, they are jamming you from locking anyone else.
Stop being stuck on a single interpretation of the word. There are plenty of places you want to jam someone from locking someone else, and ECM ships can put on pretty decent tanks if they choose to not pack out the entire ship with ECM mods.

if you knew how much better things used to be you wouldn’t think this rubbish.

there was a time, yeah, there was a time when there used to be 60K people on every day because there was fun stuff to kill all over eve. you could just go and find bses, bcs, cs, you wouldn’t even need to go far. the reason we don’t have this any more is that CCP has tried to improve the new player experience at the expense of old player experience. and that is so stupid as 90% of new players will want there end game to be fun and stupid frig fights they could have 3 weeks into the game isn’t fun when your 2 years old + unless you’re so bad that you still haven’t mastered them at that point. we should help those that are good, and not be making the bad ones feel better about playing. it messes the game up if no one can pvp and everyone needs an FC.

What a joke, inties get nerfed and carriers get buffed. DELVE Online.

6 Likes

Tons of those were bots. The “60k were online” crap is nothing but crap. When they started banning bots in bigger waves and added MCT and injectors the “player base” shrunk naturally. We never had 60k legitimately playing accounts online at any given time. The 60k peak itself are an inflated number happening thanks to a callout by CCP to get everyone to log on.

Please inform yourself properly.

2 Likes

lol yeah someone them where bots but the game was active then and clearly better

In english, please …

Nevermind. No reason to bother. You’re right saying it was much more active and alive back then.

1 Like

it was active with non-bot players and they was out for fun in catchable ships

(sorry tying to play FPS and type) :slight_smile:

1 Like