Devblog: Introducing a new tech demo - EVE: Aether Wars

To some extent? I mean, a proper screener has to be moving in relation to the central capital ship of the fleet (which is a different concept than EVE’s ‘XL hulls == capital ships’), but the way anchoring mechanics work, they just drag you, and that… wouldn’t screen.

The orbit mechanic could work, if the screeners are faster by a high enough margin to overcome the orbital radius, but once you’re dealing with screeners on both ends of the math, the entire way you move a fleet in combat changes. Positioning isn’t just a matter of optimal range and bubbles/aligning for warpout. Everything gets more complex.

Imagine if the Networked Sensor Array on a carrier actually did that: networked the sensors of the entire fleet, so that the screeners were feeding targeting solutions into the big guns of the central flotilla. Big ships able to fire at reduced accuracy with that feed, before their own systems have had time to get a lock, and then firing at increased accuracy once they have, because of better telemetry.

Before the screeners link into the fleet’s central command and control telemetry, they’re in the way. You could end up hitting your own screeners. It’d be like shooting through your propeller on an old WWI biplane: is the timing chain working, or are you sawing off the thing keeping you in the sky?

1 Like

You are aware that those are not fads right? Those are industry standards that are used extremely often in tons and tons of chat applications

2 Likes

Interesting.

Lots of potential there. Good to see ccp getting involved in things that if they succeed there is high reward for the game into the future but if they fail it won’t cost the game badly.

Ya the train might be robust. Jumping onto it without the need to travel is the fad.

10k player fight blah blah blah. Large fights happen in eve every blue moon. Sure it would be great if they were lag free etc. . ., but the typical eve player’s day involves substantially smaller actions. How about doing something to make small scale pvp viable again? Maybe breath some life back into lowsec? Rampant isk, and sp inflation coupled with uncontrolled capital proliferation are the issues facing eve.

7 Likes

So basically you’ve realised hardware limitations are a thing again and you want to migrate TQ to the cloud

There are no solutions to those “problems” but i participate in small fleet stuff all the time so i’m not even seeing the same issues

Company A wants to test their hardware so they can brag on it.
Company B has a reputation for the largest-scale combat in gaming, ever.

Company A approaches Company B and says ‘hey, we’ve got this thing. We think it’ll do XYZ, and we want to test that. If it works, it’ll be amazing. You have the players, and you have the experience with how this can go sideways fast. Can you, you know, write something up to ask your players to come help us?’

Company B responds with ‘sure. They’ll want something familiar, you know.’

Company A counters: ‘Oh… uhm… $20 and a free footlong at Subway if you let us use your art assets and numbers for a day?’

In this scenario, Company A is doing literally all of the development work. Company B is not. You are currently scolding Company B for spending time doing things they are not doing. You realize that when you do this, you just make yourself look like an idiot who shouldn’t be listened to, right?

6 Likes

Signed up

Absolutely.

It’s a bit of a shame though that CCP and Hadean don’t unleash the power of technobabble on nerd influencers with a thorough devblog for useful marketing.

Back in the day CCP would recognise those angles, and they’d work it well.

I know, expectation management, but that is more manageable than often actually considered :slight_smile:

/me pokes @CCP_Explorer hint hint :slight_smile:

Pair it with a couple of guest entries, unleash the tech, demonstrate the challenge, highlight the horizon, the road and the car from different angles (without buzzword traps or losing sight on the trap of what Nick called the lure of relevance).

I can’t remember an example when putting software to the cloud made it more responsive and faster … the opposite is the case due to the virtual hardware overhead. Cloud computing is for outsourcing and reducing operation costs.

To get better server performance and scalability, the simulation engine has to be rebuild from scratch based on two principles, parallel execution and simplification (e.g. reduce precision).

A dedicated server farm is key.

EDIT: should have checked the website before posting :stuck_out_tongue: Actually the proposed OS and engine go in the right direction … but it also sounds like the holy grail … I’m cautiously optimistic.

So I read this Dev blog from start to finish and my question is what is this all about? The only thing I could take from it was 10k player fleet fights which are cool and the company of the developers is named as one of these overpriced skins of Triglavian ships. What did I miss?

2 Likes

Look for that next week ahead of the GDC.

It’s about…

After a super-productive summit with the CSM, we’re also developing plans to address key community concerns including capital balance (and balance in general), wealth distribution, war declarations and the abundance of ISK faucets in New Eden. We will of course also be continuing the never-ending war on botting and RMT and are currently in the process of setting up a sizable internal taskforce to look at botting in more depth.

I’m actually more interested in this then the actual engine test. But unfortunately, as with everything else of this nature over the years, I’ll believe it when I see it in the actual game and not before. To say that my faith and trust in CCP is at its all time low is an understatement.

4 Likes

There is nothing that can handle anything. Lets see what this test will be about and what will be tested, guns, drones, modules activation or some other things.
If this will be something completely not tied to how spaceships operate now, that there are mechanics, skills, ships and module effects and assets that have to be placed in space and moved, if it will not look as eve at all, it will have not comparable results to the end effect. I think it could be even considered scam to make CCP go into buying some tech that then will be very problematic to be applied to anything EVE, and would mean completely rewriting game mechanics, and then its not evolution but revolution and CCP could be doing EVE 2 really, instead of trying it.

1 Like

In order to get EVE 2 to work, they’d need to shut down EVE. And if they shut down EVE, how many people will decide not to spend another fifteen years developing skills and assets?

EQ2 was never what EQ was. Take the lessons of past ‘sequel’ MMOs to heart.

Aye, but this kind of thing requires consistancy in execution, it’s not just an event or product/venture opportunity.

Let me put it this way, it’s a mechanism with high potential of both reach and interaction. I know, many agenda’s suffering from timing, but that’s a mere planning hurdle.

1 Like

But it doesnt mean it cant be treated as such. Something what brings hype or something. CCP doesnt have to commit to anything.

logi on killmails when?

1 Like